LDS ordinances; marriage events; reports; filters; showing marriage data in pedigree view

LDS ordinances; marriage events; reports; filters; showing marriage data in pedigree view

Miranda Caswell
I'm a newbie to GRAMPS, so I apologize if these things are already there
and I just haven't found them yet! :D

[I'm running GRAMPS 2.2.6-1 on Ubuntu Feisty, if that makes any difference.]

My most important request is this: in the LDS Ordinances dialog, there
is no option for "Sealed to Spouse!"  I actually have two ancestors for
which this is all that has been done; no baptism, no endowment, no
confirmation, and no sealing to parents.  When I'm recording that
ordinance information, I have to just say "Baptism" and put a note in
the record that it was actually a sealing to spouse.  If I knew how to
program I would do it myself; if my husband didn't work 65 hours a week
I'd ask him to do it; I am at the mercy of the developers!  If you
lovely wonderful programmers only did this one part of my request and
ignored the rest of it, I would still be very happy!

Secondly, and not nearly as important:
When entering an event for a person, when that event is a marriage,
there should be a place in the dialog for me to specify which spouse
that marriage was to.  Say Jane was married twice, so when I'm giving
her two marriage events, I'd like to be able to specify which spouse
each of those marriages was to.
Building on that, I would love it if once I've specified that Jane
married Bill, I could then see that marriage event listed on Bill's
profile.  It's tedious to enter marriages twice for each couple, or to
just enter it once then never know for sure which of the two has the
event to their name.

Third, and also not a huge deal:
The relationship graph of my pedigree is a MESS.  Many of the arrows get
so jumbled together I can't tell who gave birth to whom.  Also, when I
specify in the generator dialog "optimum layout" (or whatever it's
called), it doesn't ever change from what it did the last time.  Maybe
it's just always the optimum layout?  Also, when the relationship graph
spans more than one page, it would be MUCH easier to piece the pages
back together if there was some overlap between the pages; this overlap
would need to take printer margins into consideration, as well.  (The
relationship graph generator currently spreads the graph out all the way
to the edge of the paper, where the printer cannot possibly print.)  [I
always specify "PDF" as the output format, BTW.]

Last (I posted this in Gramps-users, also)
I would LOVE to be able to filter by LDS Ordinance Data; specifically,
to be able to see which names have had no ordinances done or all done,
baptism or no baptism, endowment or no endowment, etc.  If there is
currently a way to do this, I apologize, but I have been playing with it
all morning and haven't figured out how!

Oh, one more thing.  It would be neat if the pedigree view showed not
only birth and death dates, but marriage dates too.  Oooh, and places of
all these events, too.
And, if every time I started up Gramps, a bowl of ice cream appeared
next to my keyboard, that would be awesome!

Thank you, oh intelligent Gramps developers!
Miranda

Re: LDS ordinances; marriage events; reports; filters; showing marriage data in pedigree view

Don Allingham
On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 14:05 -0500, Miranda Caswell wrote:

> I'm a newbie to GRAMPS, so I apologize if these things are already there
> and I just haven't found them yet! :D
>
> [I'm running GRAMPS 2.2.6-1 on Ubuntu Feisty, if that makes any difference.]
>
> My most important request is this: in the LDS Ordinances dialog, there
> is no option for "Sealed to Spouse!"  I actually have two ancestors for
> which this is all that has been done; no baptism, no endowment, no
> confirmation, and no sealing to parents.  When I'm recording that
> ordinance information, I have to just say "Baptism" and put a note in
> the record that it was actually a sealing to spouse.  If I knew how to
> program I would do it myself; if my husband didn't work 65 hours a week
> I'd ask him to do it; I am at the mercy of the developers!  If you
> lovely wonderful programmers only did this one part of my request and
> ignored the rest of it, I would still be very happy!
Sealed to Spouse attached to the Family, not the Person attribute. Bring
up the Family editor, and you will find it under the LDS tab for a
family.

> Secondly, and not nearly as important:
> When entering an event for a person, when that event is a marriage,
> there should be a place in the dialog for me to specify which spouse
> that marriage was to.  Say Jane was married twice, so when I'm giving
> her two marriage events, I'd like to be able to specify which spouse
> each of those marriages was to.
> Building on that, I would love it if once I've specified that Jane
> married Bill, I could then see that marriage event listed on Bill's
> profile.  It's tedious to enter marriages twice for each couple, or to
> just enter it once then never know for sure which of the two has the
> event to their name.
Again, this is a Family event, not a person event. Add the event to the
Family. Bring up the Family Editor, and you can add the event there.

> Third, and also not a huge deal:
> The relationship graph of my pedigree is a MESS.  Many of the arrows get
> so jumbled together I can't tell who gave birth to whom.  Also, when I
> specify in the generator dialog "optimum layout" (or whatever it's
> called), it doesn't ever change from what it did the last time.  Maybe
> it's just always the optimum layout?  Also, when the relationship graph
> spans more than one page, it would be MUCH easier to piece the pages
> back together if there was some overlap between the pages; this overlap
> would need to take printer margins into consideration, as well.  (The
> relationship graph generator currently spreads the graph out all the way
> to the edge of the paper, where the printer cannot possibly print.)  [I
> always specify "PDF" as the output format, BTW.]
The layout of the graph is determined by the graphviz package, not by
us. You can try tweaking the generated ".dot" file, but again, most of
the layout is beyond our control. The GraphViz package is supposed to
generate optimum layouts from relationship information.

> Last (I posted this in Gramps-users, also)
> I would LOVE to be able to filter by LDS Ordinance Data; specifically,
> to be able to see which names have had no ordinances done or all done,
> baptism or no baptism, endowment or no endowment, etc.  If there is
> currently a way to do this, I apologize, but I have been playing with it
> all morning and haven't figured out how!

At this point, we don't have the ability. Could you file a feature
request at http://bugs.gramps-project.org ?

> Oh, one more thing.  It would be neat if the pedigree view showed not
> only birth and death dates, but marriage dates too.  Oooh, and places of
> all these events, too.

Places is something that we could probably add at some point. The
problem with Marriages is that there can be any number of marriages for
a particular person.

> And, if every time I started up Gramps, a bowl of ice cream appeared
> next to my keyboard, that would be awesome!

Look under the Tools menu, under Database Repair, and look for the "Ice
Cream" menu. You should find it right under the "Fold Laundry" entry.

Don

Re: LDS ordinances; marriage events; reports; filters; showing marriage data in pedigree view

Eero Tamminen-3

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 14:05 -0500, Miranda Caswell wrote:
> Third, and also not a huge deal:
> The relationship graph of my pedigree is a MESS.  Many of the arrows get
> so jumbled together I can't tell who gave birth to whom.

Your best option is to create some custom filters to select suitable
subsets of the people in your database. If you have too many items
in (any complex) graph, it will always be a mess.

> Also, when I
> specify in the generator dialog "optimum layout" (or whatever it's
> called), it doesn't ever change from what it did the last time.
> Maybe it's just always the optimum layout?

It's just one of the layout options provided by the underlying
GraphViz package.  Maybe updating your GraphViz version could help
(you could download the latest sources from graphviz.org and built
it yourself)?

>   Also, when the relationship graph
> spans more than one page, it would be MUCH easier to piece the pages
> back together if there was some overlap between the pages; this overlap
> would need to take printer margins into consideration, as well.  (The
> relationship graph generator currently spreads the graph out all the way
> to the edge of the paper, where the printer cannot possibly print.)

Isn't there a margin option in the GraphViz dialog?
(I don't have currently a working Gramps installation)

You could also try generating the intermediate "dot" format (in code
reports submenu) and check "man dot" for what the GraphViz "dot" utility
input file options do.

        - Eero