LaTeX genealogytree reports

Nick Hall
I have now created two new experimental reports:  an ancestor tree and a
descendant tree.

You can find some screenshots and a patch in the feature request:

10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports

The initial results are impressive.  It produces very professional
looking trees.

User feedback would be useful.  Would anyone be interested if I produced
a version of Gramps with the patch applied?

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Ron Johnson
On 11/21/2017 10:12 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

> I have now created two new experimental reports:  an ancestor tree and a
> descendant tree.
>
> You can find some screenshots and a patch in the feature request:
>
> 10223: LaTeX genealogytree reports
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10223
>
> The initial results are impressive.  It produces very professional looking
> trees.
>
> User feedback would be useful.  Would anyone be interested if I produced a
> version of Gramps with the patch applied?

(Note that genealogytree is part of the Debian texlive-pictures package.)

Where do gtree.gpr.py and gtree.py go?

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Per Starbäck
> User feedback would be useful.

I like it! Here are three comments:

I wonder of course if you have thought about the fix I posted in the
ticket for handling of first names, so that \nick isn't used for all
first names.

Another thing is that the TeX files need

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

in the header for us who have names with non-ascii.

A third comment, not at all as important, is that I would prefer it to
put the tree in a separate .graph file, like in some examples in the
genealogytree documentation. Then it's easier to regenerate that file
with current contents of Gramps without overwriten a customized LaTeX
file.

On 21/11/17 17:40, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Where do gtree.gpr.py and gtree.py go?

These contain tools that have now been superceded by reports.  I have
removed them to avoid confusion.

The new reports require a new report category called "Trees".
Unfortunately, I needed to modify core Gramps to add this.  The patch
file "tree_reports.patch" contains the new category together with two
reports:  an ancestor tree and a descendant tree.

If there is sufficient interest, I will need to provide an easier way to
distribute this to users.

On 21/11/17 21:04, Per Starbäck wrote:
> I like it! Here are three comments:
>
> I wonder of course if you have thought about the fix I posted in the
> ticket for handling of first names, so that \nick isn't used for all
> first names.

Thanks for your contribution.  I have already incorporated it into the
new patch file.

> Another thing is that the TeX files need
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> in the header for us who have names with non-ascii.

I have tried this, but it causes our example database (which contains
cyrillic characters) to hang.

> A third comment, not at all as important, is that I would prefer it to
> put the tree in a separate .graph file, like in some examples in the
> genealogytree documentation. Then it's easier to regenerate that file
> with current contents of Gramps without overwriten a customized LaTeX
> file.

At the moment I provide a choice of either a single "tex" or "pdf"
file.  I'm not sure how difficult it would be to create two files.

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Rich Lakey
With Linux Mint 18.2 and Gramps 4.2.3 I tried :
xxxxxx@desktop2 ~ $ cd ~/"Our Documents"/"Linux Gramps"/Gramps
xxxxxx@desktop2 ~/Our Documents/Linux Gramps/Gramps $ patch -p0 < "tree_reports.patch"
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff --git a/gramps/cli/plug/__init__.py b/gramps/cli/plug/__init__.py
|index cc46e25f2..299bf0add 100644
|--- a/gramps/cli/plug/__init__.py
|+++ b/gramps/cli/plug/__init__.py
--------------------------
File to patch:

Perhaps I do need an easier way.
Rich

On 11/21/2017 03:35 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 21/11/17 17:40, Ron Johnson wrote:
Where do gtree.gpr.py and gtree.py go?

These contain tools that have now been superceded by reports.  I have removed them to avoid confusion.

The new reports require a new report category called "Trees". Unfortunately, I needed to modify core Gramps to add this.  The patch file "tree_reports.patch" contains the new category together with two reports:  an ancestor tree and a descendant tree.

If there is sufficient interest, I will need to provide an easier way to distribute this to users.

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Copied to list.

On 21/11/17 21:24, Nick Hall wrote:
On 21/11/17 17:23, brian fitzgerald wrote:
I would be interested. Looks very nice indeed.
Couple of questions. 4 actually
Can the names of the reports be easily disambiguated from the traditional ones?

Yes.  They appear in a new "Trees" sub-menu under the "Reports" menu.

Can the report be scripted from the CL?

Yes.

Can the paper sizes be modified, or is it just another vector file?

Yes, but I have only experimented with a single page report.

Can the dependencies, if any, be built-in to the install packages?

We would not consider including the dependencies into Gramps until a tree report is accepted into core Gramps.

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

On 11/21/2017 03:35 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 21/11/17 17:40, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Where do gtree.gpr.py and gtree.py go?
>
> These contain tools that have now been superceded by reports.  I have
> removed them to avoid confusion.
>
> The new reports require a new report category called "Trees".
> Unfortunately, I needed to modify core Gramps to add this.  The patch file
> "tree_reports.patch" contains the new category together with two reports:
> an ancestor tree and a descendant tree.
>
> If there is sufficient interest, I will need to provide an easier way to
> distribute this to users.

High interest!  (Especially since the Ancestor Tree graphical report seems
busted.)

On 21/11/17 21:49, Rich wrote:
> With Linux Mint 18.2 and Gramps 4.2.3 I tried :

The last patch was for v5.0.

There is now a new patch for v4.2 here:

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10223#c53134

I tested that it works for v4.2.3.

On 21/11/17 23:33, Simon C. Tremblay wrote:
> Would that work on a Windows AIO-64 4.2.5 version of Gramps?  If so,
> Highly interested as well.

The latest patch should work on Windows.  You will also need to install
texlive and the genealogytree package.

http://tug.org/texlive/

https://www.ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Rich Lakey
I finally got the patch installed, not to difficult once I found I had the patch and the gramps directories reversed.  Created an ancestor report that ended with .tex, both with 2 generations and 10 generations.  2 generations 6.7 kb and the 10 generations 142.0 kb.  Looking at the files it seemed ok.   Installed Texlive-full metapackage.  from terminal ran   latex ancestor_tree.tex  and had lots of syntax errors.  The file created was ancestor_tree.dvi  the 2 genations 121.9 kb and 10 generations 2.6 mb.  Tried to view it and nothing but two blank pages for the 10 generations and one page with 2 generations that had a small image that appears to be many images overlaying one another.
I suspect I need a special program for viewing these files and/or resolving the syntax errors.
I'm going to bed. Maybe A fresh view tomorrow will help.
Rich.

On 22/11/17 05:14, Rich wrote:

> I finally got the patch installed, not to difficult once I found I had
> the patch and the gramps directories reversed.  Created an ancestor
> report that ended with .tex, both with 2 generations and 10
> generations.  2 generations 6.7 kb and the 10 generations 142.0 kb.
> Looking at the files it seemed ok.   Installed Texlive-full
> metapackage.  from terminal ran   latex ancestor_tree.tex  and had
> lots of syntax errors.  The file created was ancestor_tree.dvi the 2
> genations 121.9 kb and 10 generations 2.6 mb.  Tried to view it and
> nothing but two blank pages for the 10 generations and one page with 2
> generations that had a small image that appears to be many images
> overlaying one another.
> I suspect I need a special program for viewing these files and/or
> resolving the syntax errors.
> I'm going to bed. Maybe A fresh view tomorrow will help.

Use the "pdflatex" command to produce pdf files.  If it is in your path,
then pdf output is available directly from Gramps.

Start with small trees and large paper (perhaps even A0).  If the
picture is too wide it will get cropped.  If it too long for a single
page it should be paginated.  All options in the "Paper Options" tab
should work.

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Rich Lakey
Big progress!
I changed my paper size to A0. I have used pdflatex to create a pdf file.  I can view it!. But the normal PDF viewer with Linuxmint will not magnify to where it is readable. I installed evince and it allows magnification to where it is partially readable. Although evince has a setting of 100% magnification it will not allow greater than 80.57%.  Has anyone on linux used a program that allows greater magnification?  I tried custom paper size of 75 inches wide and that has no effect.  The second generation is 11 people, no where near the width of the paper.
Rich

On 22/11/17 16:53, Rich wrote:

> Solution - Just found I can display the PDF file in Firefox and have
> unlimited magnification.  Looks good.
> Rich
>
> On 11/22/2017 10:42 AM, Rich wrote:
>> Big progress!
>> I changed my paper size to A0. I have used pdflatex to create a pdf
>> file.  I can view it!. But the normal PDF viewer with Linuxmint will
>> not magnify to where it is readable. I installed evince and it allows
>> magnification to where it is partially readable. Although evince has
>> a setting of 100% magnification it will not allow greater than
>> 80.57%.  Has anyone on linux used a program that allows greater
>> magnification?  I tried custom paper size of 75 inches wide and that
>> has no effect.  The second generation is 11 people, no where near the
>> width of the paper.
>> Rich

Yes.  I don't think that pdf viewers are really designed for very large
paper.

I tried the Descendant Tree with our example database using I0044 as the
centre person and 10 generations.

With a custom paper size of 50cm x 150cm landscape I can see what you
mean.  With A2 portrait and changing the Timeflow to Right, I expected
the tree to be split onto two pages.  Unfortunately, the first page was
blank and the second cropped.  Perhaps we could investigate slitting
large trees into smaller pictures.

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Rich Lakey
Al suggested xournal. I tried it and it works good.
I have not tried multiple pages, something I could print on my printer. But this is something I could add to my web site for viewing. But an A0 page may be printed at an office store.
Rich

On 11/22/2017 12:03 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 22/11/17 16:53, Rich wrote:
[...]

Gerhard Killesreiter
Am 22.11.2017 um 19:03 schrieb Nick Hall:

> On 22/11/17 16:53, Rich wrote:
>> Solution - Just found I can display the PDF file in Firefox and have
>> unlimited magnification.  Looks good.
>> Rich
>>
>> On 11/22/2017 10:42 AM, Rich wrote:
>>> Big progress!
>>> I changed my paper size to A0. I have used pdflatex to create a pdf
>>> file.  I can view it!. But the normal PDF viewer with Linuxmint will
>>> not magnify to where it is readable. I installed evince and it allows
>>> magnification to where it is partially readable. Although evince has
>>> a setting of 100% magnification it will not allow greater than
>>> 80.57%.  Has anyone on linux used a program that allows greater
>>> magnification?  I tried custom paper size of 75 inches wide and that
>>> has no effect.  The second generation is 11 people, no where near the
>>> width of the paper.
>>> Rich
>
> Yes.  I don't think that pdf viewers are really designed for very large
> paper.
>
> I tried the Descendant Tree with our example database using I0044 as the
> centre person and 10 generations.
>
> With a custom paper size of 50cm x 150cm landscape I can see what you
> mean.  With A2 portrait and changing the Timeflow to Right, I expected
> the tree to be split onto two pages.  Unfortunately, the first page was
> blank and the second cropped.  Perhaps we could investigate slitting
> large trees into smaller pictures.

IMO that's not very useful. If you can't print large PDFs there are
several programs that should be able to split them up for printing.

BTW, I am really impressed with the integration!

I am running into TeX memory issues if I try to print too many
generations, though.

Cheers,
Gerhard

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Fredrik

On 22. nov. 2017 19:03, Nick Hall wrote:
> With a custom paper size of 50cm x 150cm landscape I can see what you
> mean.  With A2 portrait and changing the Timeflow to Right, I expected
> the tree to be split onto two pages.  Unfortunately, the first page
> was blank and the second cropped.  Perhaps we could investigate
> slitting large trees into smaller pictures

What one can try is to squeeze the margins on the paper as they are
usually quite generous in LaTex, like this:

\usepackage[top=1cm, bottom=1cm, left=1cm, right=1cm]{geometry}

Also for the unicode/pdflatex-business one can try building with
LuaLaTex instead (comes along the texlive-package and one builds like
"lualatex ancestor_tree.tex") and never care about character encoding
again!

\Fredrik

Re: LaTeX genealogytree reports

Per Starbäck
> Thanks for your contribution.  I have already incorporated it into the new
> patch file.

Ah, thanks! I mistakenly thought that the new patch was something that
added menu options to use the code I had already seen to make a pdf. I
didn't realize that the code for generating the LaTeX in the first
place also was changed. I'll see when I get around to test this.
(Currently I just use a prepackaged gramps from an RPM for Fedora.)

>> Another thing is that the TeX files need
>>
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>>
>> in the header for us who have names with non-ascii.
>
> I have tried this, but it causes our example database (which contains
> cyrillic characters) to hang.

True, just adding utf8 with inputenc doesn't mean that pdflatex can
handle all of Unicode. (But most things written with a Latin script.)
To handle more scripts I propose that we use luatex as engine instead
of pdftex. We need to set a font. I suggest

\usepackage{libertine}

since it comes with texlive and has a good selection of characters.
Then if run with lualatex names like Brontë, Gauß, Толстой, Πυθαγόρας
will just work.
For for example Japanese and Chinese other fonts would be needed, and
for right-to-left writing it's also more complicated. Even if xelatex
is used, without special markup it will just print each word
correctly, but the words in a name will be in the wrong order. I don't
know what kind of names are supposed to work in Gramps to begin with.
Maybe it is enough to aim for alphabetic left-to-right names?

>> A third comment, not at all as important, is that I would prefer it to
>> put the tree in a separate .graph file, like in some examples in the
>> genealogytree documentation. Then it's easier to regenerate that file
>> with current contents of Gramps without overwriten a customized LaTeX
>> file.
>>
> At the moment I provide a choice of either a single "tex" or "pdf" file.
> I'm not sure how difficult it would be to create two files.

Another idea: When preparing things that you are going to print
specific paper sizes are nice, but if the pdf is just for viewing let
it be big enough for the contents with

\documentclass{standalone}
\RequirePackage{luatex85}       %make standalone work with lualatex

instead of article and geometry.