Language translation; Google Translate?

prculley
I'm pretty much a newbie to all this gramps development, however I am working on a plugin.
I see that translation to other languages are desired.  I am American (no jokes please), thus don't speak any other languages.  However, I see that Google Translate https://translate.google.com
has the ability to translate ".po" files.  I've done a test translation into french, and it appears to work, although it has some trouble with '\n' in the strings which need to be manually edited later.

Looking for opinion; Would I be better off just uploading the ".pot" file and letting other translators do this manually, or should I upload some selected translations made via Google Translate?

Paul Culley

Re: Language translation; Google Translate?

Luigi Toscano
On Friday 01 of April 2016 11:32:20 Paul Culley wrote:

> I'm pretty much a newbie to all this gramps development, however I am
> working on a plugin.
> I see that translation to other languages are desired.  I am American (no
> jokes please), thus don't speak any other languages.  However, I see that
> Google Translate https://translate.google.com
> <https://translate.google.com/toolkit/list?vid=&hl=en#translations/active>
> has the ability to translate ".po" files.  I've done a test translation
> into french, and it appears to work, although it has some trouble with '\n'
> in the strings which need to be manually edited later.
>
> Looking for opinion; Would I be better off just uploading the ".pot" file
> and letting other translators do this manually, or should I upload some
> selected translations made via Google Translate?

No, please. Did you check the usage term of the service? Moreover, while
translations are file to understand what's going on, are definitely not useful
for this usage.

--
Luigi

Re: Language translation; Google Translate?

Have a look at 'make.py'[1] or 'setup.py'[2] headers.

Commands like:
$ LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 GRAMPSPATH=..where_is_gramps python make.py gramps42 init AddonDirectory fr
$ LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 GRAMPSPATH=..where_is_gramps python make.py gramps42 update AddonDirectory fr

should generate most translations into french and should be consistent with current gramps
program. True, like this, there is no real differences between translation domains (addon, gramps), but this will also generate some fuzzy translations (will return the msgid while fuzzy status). One who can read french will be able to complete the translation file, if need.

Also, if you want to have more translations, just change the locale code on the above command lines.

Maybe we could try to also add an option (+/- accurate) for large sentences like tooltips or descriptions, as for translation memory tool, but to translate an addon does not need too much time, except maybe the Census one.

[1] https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/blob/master/make.py
[2] https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/blob/master/setup.py

Jérôme

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] Language translation; Google Translate?
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Vendredi 1 avril 2016, 18h35

 On Friday 01 of April
 2016 11:32:20 Paul Culley wrote:

 I'm pretty much a newbie to all this gramps development,
 however I am
 > working on a plugin.
 > I see that translation to other languages
 are desired.  I am American (no
 > jokes
 please), thus don't speak any other languages.
 However, I see that
 > Google Translate https://translate.google.com
 > <https://translate.google.com/toolkit/list?vid=&hl=en#translations/active>
 > has the ability to translate
 ".po" files.  I've done a test translation
 > into french, and it appears to work,
 although it has some trouble with '\n'
 > in the strings which need to be manually
 edited later.

 Looking for opinion; Would I be better off just uploading
 the ".pot" file
 > and letting
 other translators do this manually, or should I upload
 some
 > selected translations made via
 Google Translate?

 No,
 please. Did you check the usage term of the service?
 Moreover, while
 translations are file to
 understand what's going on, are definitely not useful

 for this usage.

 --
 Luigi

 Transform Data into Opportunity.
 Accelerate data analysis in your applications
 with
 Intel Data Analytics Acceleration
 Library.
 Click to learn more.