Last Will and Testament

Michael Griffiths
Sorry if this is a bit "newby" but my (perhaps feeble) searches have not come up with anything related.

Question: Where is the best place to record an individuals will? Notes looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note category list be edited?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Mike G

Re: Last Will and Testament

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:42:04 +0100
Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michael,

>looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note
>category list be edited?

Yes, it can.  In fact, IIRC, all category lists can be edited.  However,
they aren't always remembered for future use.  So far, I've only noticed
that Attribute custom entries aren't remembered.

There is also an Event type Will.  Same problem arises, though;  Only
notes to enter a transcript.

--
 Regards  _
To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it

Re: Last Will and Testament

On 8/6/19 8:42 AM, Michael Griffiths wrote:
> Sorry if this is a bit "newby" but my (perhaps feeble) searches have not
> come up with anything related.
>
> Question: Where is the best place to record an individuals will? Notes
> looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note
> category list be edited?

I tried adding a new Personal note type, and it seemed to work just fine.

You could also make the note to be the built-in type "Source Text".

Re: Last Will and Testament

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 09:07:42 -0700
Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Do you really want the contents of the will to be printed out on all the
>possible reports that you can generate? If yes, then the suggestions you
>have received about notes is the way to go.

Notes, like most things in Gramps, can be made private.  Unless there is
a specific override request, private items won't be included in reports.
That override is for all private items.  If just one or two private
items are needed, it's probably easier to mark them (temporarily at
least) public.

--
 Regards  _
An old custom to sell your daughter

Re: Last Will and Testament

Ron Johnson
On 8/6/19 11:18 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 09:07:42 -0700
> Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Richard,
>
>> Do you really want the contents of the will to be printed out on all the
>> possible reports that you can generate? If yes, then the suggestions you
>> have received about notes is the way to go.
> Notes, like most things in Gramps, can be made private.  Unless there is
> a specific override request, private items won't be included in reports.
> That override is for all private items.  If just one or two private
> items are needed, it's probably easier to mark them (temporarily at
> least) public.

It's too bad that the Private flag is such a blunt all-or-nothing instrument.

Re: Last Will and Testament

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 11:48:01 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>It's too bad that the Private flag is such a blunt all-or-nothing
>instrument.

Even a non-programmer like me can see that coding degrees of privacy
would be a nightmare.  To say nothing of which type of report each
degree should be included in, or excluded from.  There would never be a
consensus.

IMO, best to leave it as is:  Private *means* private.

--
 Regards  _
To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it
No Time To Be 21 - The Adverts

Re: Last Will and Testament

I put wills in the Person's notes with appropriate dates. I also add
the event dates; Will for when and where written and then the Probate
date with relevant citations and place. I do not add the note to the
event but will share the not with the citation.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 9:42 AM Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a bit "newby" but my (perhaps feeble) searches have not come up with anything related.
>
> Question: Where is the best place to record an individuals will? Notes looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note category list be edited?
>
> Any pointers much appreciated.
>
> Mike G

Re: Last Will and Testament

In re Attribute types, the Type is remembered if the Attribute is
added to the person. So if there is an attribute you use for events,
add it to yourself. Save. Then delete it from yourself. The attribute
will be remembered..... until you do a clean import of your database
from a backup.

To get around this, I have a dummy anchor person that holds all the
various things that I do not want deleted; mostly notes and images
that I use in the narrated web. I add these attributes to this person
so they are never forgotten..

HTH Dave

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 10:09 AM Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:42:04 +0100
> Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Michael,
>
> >looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note
> >category list be edited?
>
> Yes, it can.  In fact, IIRC, all category lists can be edited.  However,
> they aren't always remembered for future use.  So far, I've only noticed
> that Attribute custom entries aren't remembered.
>
> There is also an Event type Will.  Same problem arises, though;  Only
> notes to enter a transcript.
>
> --
>  Regards  _
>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
> To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it
> No Time To Be 21 - The Adverts

Re: Last Will and Testament

Michael Griffiths

Thanks for pointing out that this is an "event" - not too intuitive but will allow me to add the relevant information,.

Thanks also for your prompt and helpful response...

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 15:10, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:42:04 +0100
Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michael,

>looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note
>category list be edited?

Yes, it can.  In fact, IIRC, all category lists can be edited.  However,
they aren't always remembered for future use.  So far, I've only noticed
that Attribute custom entries aren't remembered.

There is also an Event type Will.  Same problem arises, though;  Only
notes to enter a transcript.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it
No Time To Be 21 - The Adverts

Re: Last Will and Testament

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:37:20 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>In re Attribute types, the Type is remembered if the Attribute is
>added to the person.
{rest of description cut for brevity}

That does indeed help, Dave.  I'd been adding them to the relevant
Event, where they weren't remembered.

Many thanks.

--
 Regards  _
No you can't hop into my shower

Re: Last Will and Testament

I've always been pretty puzzled as to why Wills are Events.

On 8/6/19 1:56 PM, Michael Griffiths wrote:

Thanks for pointing out that this is an "event" - not too intuitive but will allow me to add the relevant information,.

Thanks also for your prompt and helpful response...

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 15:10, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:42:04 +0100
Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michael,

>looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note
>category list be edited?

Yes, it can.  In fact, IIRC, all category lists can be edited.  However,
they aren't always remembered for future use.  So far, I've only noticed
that Attribute custom entries aren't remembered.

There is also an Event type Will.  Same problem arises, though;  Only
notes to enter a transcript.

Re: Last Will and Testament

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 19:56:15 +0100
Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Michael,

>Thanks for pointing out that this is an "event" - not too intuitive but
>will allow me to add the relevant information,.

Strikes me as odd, too.

Same goes for; 'Cause of Death', 'Medical Information' and 'Number of
Marriages' as events.  Still, they've got to be somewhere.

Of course, just because an event exists, it doesn't mean you _have_
to use it.  For example, I add 'Cause of Death' (just called 'Cause') as
a personal attribute of the death event rather than as an event.

Obviously, how and where you add information will affect how it appears
in any reports or narratives you generate.

>Thanks also for your prompt and helpful response...

You're welcome.

--
 Regards  _
You couldn't find your feet, if you were looking for them

Re: Last Will and Testament

Here's a thought...

If one adds the Will as a Source rather than a Person Note, with the actual text as a "Transcript" Note under the Source, the Source can be a cited with a Citation record from many objects in the tree.

In this case, does that cause a more compact annotation (Source ID, date, Vol/Page & any Citation unique Notes, Gallery, Attributes, References) for each Citation throughout the Reports?

And then would the full 'Transcript' Note be printed only once in the Sources appendix/section of a Report?

-Brian

References

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 13:38, Dave Scheipers
I put wills in the Person's notes with appropriate dates. I also add
the event dates; Will for when and where written and then the Probate
date with relevant citations and place. I do not add the note to the
event but will share the not with the citation.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 9:42 AM Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a bit "newby" but my (perhaps feeble) searches have not come up with anything related.
>
> Question: Where is the best place to record an individuals will? Notes looks sort of obvious but there is no category for wills. Can the note category list be edited?
>
> Any pointers much appreciated.
>
> Mike G

Re: Last Will and Testament

In this case, it may be a misnomer. The 'Event' is the writing, legal filing, notarizing/registering, or execution of the Will. Not the physical document.

-Brian

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 14:08, Ron Johnson

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Last Will and Testament

On 8/6/19 2:16 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 19:56:15 +0100
> Michael Griffiths <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Michael,
>
>> Thanks for pointing out that this is an "event" - not too intuitive but
>> will allow me to add the relevant information,.
> Strikes me as odd, too.
>
> Same goes for; 'Cause of Death', 'Medical Information' and 'Number of
> Marriages' as events.  Still, they've got to be somewhere.
>
> Of course, just because an event exists, it doesn't mean you _have_
> to use it.  For example, I add 'Cause of Death' (just called 'Cause') as
> a personal attribute of the death event rather than as an event.

They should be attributes.

On 8/6/19 12:57 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 11:48:01 -0500
> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Ron,
>
>> It's too bad that the Private flag is such a blunt all-or-nothing
>> instrument.
> Even a non-programmer like me can see that coding degrees of privacy
> would be a nightmare.  To say nothing of which type of report each
> degree should be included in, or excluded from.  There would never be a
> consensus.
>
> IMO, best to leave it as is:  Private *means* private.

That's why I've never beat the drum for granular privacy... :)

Re: Last Will and Testament

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:06:12 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>I've always been pretty puzzled as to why Wills are Events.

The real 'problem', I think, is the term Event.  If it were called
'Milestones'(1), for example, I'd never have queried it.

In fact, henceforth, I'll mentally convert the term Events to Milestones.

I just hope I remember to use 'Event' on list.   :-)

(1) I'm aware that the two terms are synonymous, but hey, you can't
have everything.    :-)

--
 Regards  _
Tired of doing day jobs with no thanks for what I do

Re: Last Will and Testament

On 06/08/2019 20:16, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
If one adds the Will as a Source rather than a Person Note, with the actual text as a "Transcript" Note under the Source, the Source can be a cited with a Citation record from many objects in the tree.

Yes.  A Will can certainly be a source.

Re: Last Will and Testament

On 06/08/2019 20:06, Ron Johnson wrote:

> I've always been pretty puzzled as to why Wills are Events.

     I make them events, because it's a good way of associating other
people with the testator at the time the will was made. I share the
event with roles executor, heir and witness.

David Lynch