Leading/Trailing Spaces

Richard Nairn
While I'm entering text, specifically names - sometimes if I am copying
and pasting there may be a leading or trailing space. I try to be
diligent about deleting that, but that got me wondering. Are those
considered or treated as significant or is there any blank space
trimming going on in my entries. I suspect it would come in to play
mostly either for sorting or report generation...

Cheers,

Richard

Re: Leading/Trailing Spaces

Ron Johnson
On 1/20/20 11:28 PM, Richard Nairn wrote:
While I'm entering text, specifically names - sometimes if I am copying and pasting there may be a leading or trailing space. I try to be diligent about deleting that, but that got me wondering. Are those considered or treated as significant or is there any blank space trimming going on in my entries. I suspect it would come in to play mostly either for sorting or report generation...

It's been my observation that trailing whitespace gets truncated.  I think leading whitespace also gets trimmed off; it's easy enough for you to test, though...

Re: Leading/Trailing Spaces

Richard Nairn

Perfect. Thanks I will take a look.

I'm always on the latest version. 5.1.2/git.

On 2020-01-20 10:57 p.m., Sam Manzi wrote:
Hi Richard,

Gramps 5.0.2 came with the following fixes related to data entry:
* Avoid invalid characters and leading or trailing spaces in the entry field
* Avoid comma in a lat/lon entry field.

Also with the release of Gramps 5.1.1 a new tool to suppress leading and trailing spaces was added to Gramps.  The tool searches for place names with leading or/and trailing spaces. It also looks in the first name and surname. You can access it from the menu "Tools > Utilities > Clean input data..."
(Note the tool link to the user manual needs to be updated by the developers to match the name of the tool)

What version of Gramps are you using?

Kind regards
Sam