Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

emma9158
After upgrading from Gramps 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 yesterday, it seems that the
letters in the new version are sort of... blurred. I.e. in Gramps 5.0.1
every kind of text and view looks clear, the letters are sharp and easy to
read. After the upgrade, I find that the letters are less sharp, even
blurred. As I still have ver 5.0.1 installed, I have opened a safety backup
in this version, and there the letters are again sharp and clear.

Am I really the only one experiencing this, or is this a general thing? Is
it maybe a side effect of changing to SQLite? I'm working on a desktop with
resolution 1920 x 1080.

Kind regards,
Emma Marie

Re: Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

Patrick Gerlier
You forgot to mention your OS and, in case of Linux, the desktop you use
(likely to be Gnome). Eventually, give also the brand of the graphic
card since this kind of thing may depend on the driver and the
management in the OS (OpenGL is known to cause issues).

Regards,
Patrick

Le 03/10/2019 à 21:37, emma9158 a écrit :

> After upgrading from Gramps 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 yesterday, it seems that the
> letters in the new version are sort of... blurred. I.e. in Gramps 5.0.1
> every kind of text and view looks clear, the letters are sharp and easy to
> read. After the upgrade, I find that the letters are less sharp, even
> blurred. As I still have ver 5.0.1 installed, I have opened a safety backup
> in this version, and there the letters are again sharp and clear.
>
> Am I really the only one experiencing this, or is this a general thing? Is
> it maybe a side effect of changing to SQLite? I'm working on a desktop with
> resolution 1920 x 1080.
>
> Kind regards,
> Emma Marie
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

emma9158
I'm sorry.
Not only did I forget to mention that I'm running the Windows 64 bit version
of Gramps, on Windows 8, I also wrote that I was on a desktop, when I'm in
fact on a laptop.
My graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce  GTX 980M.

I just checked with a friend who is also using Gramps, and he says he has
the same side-effect with blurred letters after the upgrade, he is running
Windows 10, 64 bits, I don't know about his graphic card.

Kind regards
Emma Marie

Re: Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

Nick Hall
On 03/10/2019 21:28, emma9158 wrote:
> I just checked with a friend who is also using Gramps, and he says he has
> the same side-effect with blurred letters after the upgrade, he is running
> Windows 10, 64 bits, I don't know about his graphic card.

This is likely to be due to a change in the Windows AIO package. Perhaps
the Gtk version was upgraded?

Paul Culley will know more.

Re: Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

prculley
For several reasons the AIO has switched to using the Linux fontconfig backend for selecting fonts rather than the win32 backend.  That might be the reason this is showing up.  You can test by setting an environment variable 'PANGOCAIRO_BACKEND' to 'win32' before starting Gramps.
Be aware that there are some issues with fonts; non-rendered characters if you have text with international Unicode characters present, like Chinese or Arabic, Hebrew etc. and you might get have trouble with the new Genealogical symbols with this setting changed.

I don't see this myself, despite a large monitor, maybe you can send me some screenshots (direct to my email since this list doesn't support attachments).

I have been considering releasing an experimental AIO with a more recent version of Gtk, maybe if this annoys you enough, you would like to try it out?

Paul C.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 3:46 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/10/2019 21:28, emma9158 wrote:
> I just checked with a friend who is also using Gramps, and he says he has
> the same side-effect with blurred letters after the upgrade, he is running
> Windows 10, 64 bits, I don't know about his graphic card.

This is likely to be due to a change in the Windows AIO package. Perhaps
the Gtk version was upgraded?

Paul Culley will know more.

Re: Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

Before you drive into manually tweaking environmental variable, let's exhaust ones from the GUI first.

Purely guessing that the font (or just the point-size) selected isn't available. It is something I've seen on the PC before.

So the OS might be substituting one in a similar 'family'. Or the higher point-size isn't included for such a screen resolution. (say the system decides a 10-pt font would be the same apparent screen size would need 13-pt at your resolution. But the fontfamily is only defined for 6,8,9,10,12,14,16,18,24,36,48 pts.) So the OS scales it... badly.

You could start by trying the "Use Alternate Font Handler" in the Preferences General tab. (This change requires restarting Gramps.)

Another guess is you installed all the available plug-ins -- but haven't explored the Preferences "Theme" settings.

Try picking a font & point-size from the Preferences Theme tab that doesn't preview blurry.

And a last guess from OUTSIDE the Gramps options but in the the Window GUI user settings...
the GTK library might be layering its anti-aliasing & kerning on top of the one in the OS. (There are usually interactions when tools start interacting instead of supplanting.) In Windows, there is a ClearType calibration you can do from the Fonts control panel. It is a calibration that is more visible when more modern drivers are used. There are a series of eye-doctor examine style questions (better on 1? Or 2?)

-Brian

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 14:58, emma9158
After upgrading from Gramps 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 yesterday, it seems that the
letters in the new version are sort of... blurred. I.e. in Gramps 5.0.1
every kind of text and view looks clear, the letters are sharp and easy to
read. After the upgrade, I find that the letters are less sharp, even
blurred. As I still have ver 5.0.1 installed, I have opened a safety backup
in this version, and there the letters are again sharp and clear.

Am I really the only one experiencing this, or is this a general thing? Is
it maybe a side effect of changing to SQLite? I'm working on a desktop with
resolution 1920 x 1080.

Kind regards,
Emma Marie

Re: Letters seems so blurred in Gramps 5.1.1?

emma9158
By switching to Arial size 11 instead of default, I indeed managed to get a
sharp and functional version 5.1.1. Thank you for the advice!

The default style wasn't really that bad, either, it's just that it looked
clearly worse compared to what I was used to in ver 5.0.1 (where I never
noticed any problems with blurred letters).