Linking Addresses to Places

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi

I'm a new user using Gramps 3.4.9-1, and I'm struggling to understand how to use Addresses, and Places. I have read the wiki and searched these mailing lists but I can't find out how to do some thing which would seem really simple.

I've created a Place, to show the childhood home of my mother. Associated with that Place there are some documents (under Gallery) describing the house, an image of an old map, and links to the location on openstreetmapsĀ  (under Internet). Under the Events tab there is an event linking this Place to the birth of my mother.

However under People I can find no way of associating my mother with this Place, I can fill in the address, but again theres no way that I can see of linking that address to the Place. So unless I look at the address for my mother and then manually search to see if there's an associated Place I would never know that there was all this extra information.

There is a link in my mothers case via the Birth event, but what I really want to do is simply link an Address with a Place, and I can find no way of doing that.

Hope that all makes sense.

Regards

John

Re: Linking Addresses to Places

Ron Johnson

I'd first ask why you're still using v3.4.9.

--
Money Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Linking Addresses to Places

GRAMPS - User mailing list

That was a very good question.

The answer it turns out was because that's the latest version that I could find as a portable-app.

tl;dr;

Updated to the latest version and there is now a new type of Event called "Residence" - which is precisely what I wanted!

Full Story

I have now downloaded the latest version, installed it to the default location, zipped up the install directory, uninstalled it, cleaned the registry, and unzipped it in the correct location. I then updated the location of the databases, copied the old databases across and opened my family tree.

The file references are all broken as the relative paths have changed, but that's something I can work through and fix, and I believe i now have a solution that will allow me to update Gramps when ever I feel like it and maintain the ability to move the whole directory structure, including the Gramps application and databases. This is important as I want to be able to easily share the whole thing with others in my family, so running everything off a USB stick is a must.

I can see that there has been a number of changes to the Places and a new Geography tab has been added which looks interesting.

After clicking around I see that since the version I was using there is now a new type of Event called "Residence" - which is actually precisely what I wanted!

Thanks Ron

On 10/02/2018 12:00, Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Welcome John

Be careful creating custom events. Gramps will allow them but it does
always not how to handle them in reports etc.

I use Residence to record the historical events while using the
person's Address tab for the addresses of my living relatives.

Dave