Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released

Alex Roitman
The GRAMPS project is proud to announce the fourth release of
the Linux Genealogy CD. This disc contains bootable
Live Linux environment and added Linux Genealogical software.
In particular, it makes a perfect gift for genealogists stuck
with other OS-s! With this disc, you can boot and run Linux
genealogical (and other) software without touching anything
on the hard drive.

In addition to the Live Session, this disk also allows permanent
installation of Linux and genealogical software on your computer's hard
drive. This way you achieve adequate speed and the ability to save your
data, and can do real work with your Linux software. Everything is
similar to the Live Session, except that this is a permanent setup.

This Live CD is based on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Desktop CD
and, in addition to the regular Hardy, features pre-installed
GRAMPS 3.0.1, GeneWeb, and LifeLines applications, as well as
GraphViz program to draw pretty graphs in GRAMPS.

For further details on how to obtain the disc, pleas see:
   http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Linux_Genealogy_CD

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released

Alex Roitman
On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 15:18 -0700, Alex Roitman wrote:
> The GRAMPS project is proud to announce the fourth release of
> the Linux Genealogy CD.

And, of course, big THANK YOU goes to all who spent their time
and effort testing the release candidates for the LGCD.

You know who you are. Thanks a lot!

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released

Laura Mellen
I want to say a big thank you to all that make this software possible...I really appreciate it!
laura

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:25:00 -0700
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 15:18 -0700, Alex Roitman wrote:
> > The GRAMPS project is proud to announce the fourth release of
> > the Linux Genealogy CD.
>
> And, of course, big THANK YOU goes to all who spent their time
> and effort testing the release candidates for the LGCD.
>
> You know who you are. Thanks a lot!
>
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Roitman http://gramps-project.org

Earn cashback on your purchases with Live Search - the search that pays you back! Learn More

Re: Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released

Duncan Lithgow-2
Alex, I mentioned once that I wanted to make a custom LiveCD to
distribute to my family so they can see our database as I see it.

Is there any documentation on how to do that? Or shall we start a
section on the wiki?

Duncan

Re: Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released

Alex Roitman
Duncan,

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:13 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Alex, I mentioned once that I wanted to make a custom LiveCD to
> distribute to my family so they can see our database as I see it.
>
> Is there any documentation on how to do that? Or shall we start a
> section on the wiki?

I started the wiki page:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Customizing_Ubuntu_Desktop_CD

I didn't put down all the details, because there may be to many,
and it will depend on what exactly you want to do. But it should be
a clear enough guide I hope.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released

Perkins, Jerry-3
Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Alex, I mentioned once that I wanted to make a custom LiveCD to
> distribute to my family so they can see our database as I see it.

   What I have done is to set up a new user for that family member.   I
think that you have to login as the new user to the desktop first to
have the machine set up the desktop files in the new home directory.
   Then have the family member use X Forwarding via ssh to access
Gramps.   The command is simply:
$ ssh -Y <USER NAME>@<YOUR IP> gramps
   This starts an ssh connection.  Starts gramps as read only.  Then
sends back gramps to the requesters screen, keyboard and mouse.

> Is there any documentation on how to do that? Or shall we start a
> section on the wiki?
   If there is a page or someone starts a page, I can add my X
Forwarding notes in.

--
Jerry Perkins
Home page = http://jperkins.us/

Re: Linux Genealogy CD 4.0 released

Duncan Lithgow-2
Hi Jerry.

I think you're talking about allowing them to log into a remote
desktop where I have the database.

I just want to send them a statik live CD with the database in.

Duncan