Linux & Gramps

Keith Jacobs

I have dabbled with Linux in the past but have never stuck with it, however I now have a perfectly good, redundant windows XP, system that I am considering converting, totally, to Linux so I am looking for some guidance as to:

What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?

What other packages/utilities should I install and in what order?

Your experience and guidance will be much appreciated.

Regards

Keith Jacobs

Re: Linux & Gramps

Harvey Nimmo
On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 09:52 +0100, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> I have dabbled with Linux in the past but have never stuck with it,
> however I now have a perfectly good, redundant windows XP, system that
> I am considering converting, totally, to Linux so I am looking for
> some guidance as to:
>

> What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?
> What other packages/utilities should I install and in what order?
> Your experience and guidance will be much appreciated.

I am completely happy with OpenSuse Linux (currently 13.2) running the
64-bit version of Gramps 4.1.3 under Gnome. Gramps is in the
distribution, so all packages needed are looked for and installed
automatically.

Cheers
Harvey

Re: Linux & Gramps

Pat Clark
On 09/07/15 18:22, Keith Jacobs wrote:

I have dabbled with Linux in the past but have never stuck with it, however I now have a perfectly good, redundant windows XP, system that I am considering converting, totally, to Linux so I am looking for some guidance as to:

What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?

What other packages/utilities should I install and in what order?

Your experience and guidance will be much appreciated.

Regards

Keith Jacobs

I've used Gramps on Ubuntu, Kanotix, Mepis, Mint and now on Solydxk.
I have always used the *all.deb files straight from the Gramps site and they all have work.

  There are two 'streams' available, the 4.* and the 3.4.*. Personally, so far, I prefer 3.4.9, as the recording system for places is simpler.

Pat

Re: Linux & Gramps

Dave Cross-2

On 09/07/15 09:52, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?

At a basic level, all modern Linux distributions will be very similar. I
use Fedora, but I'd probably recommend Ubuntu for a beginner - purely
because it has the largest user base and you'll therefore find it easier
to find help with any problems that you have.

> What other packages/utilities should I install and in what order?

Most distributions will come with a mail program (either Thunderbird or
Evolution) and a browser (probably Firefox). If LibreOffice isn't
installed already, then it will be available from the standard software
installation repositories. Pidgen will talk to most instant messaging
systems.

Anything else will depend on your specific requirements.

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: [hidden email]
http://dave.org.uk/

Re: Linux & Gramps

Keith,

I have dabbled with Linux in the past but have never stuck with it, however I now have a perfectly good, redundant windows XP, system that I am considering converting, totally, to Linux so I am looking for some guidance as to:

What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?

You should be able to use any listed here:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download#Linux_distributions

What other packages/utilities should I install and in what order?

If you download Gramps from the Linux distribution, the software manager will download all needed packages for you. And in most cases that's also true when you download a Gramps package from our own site. Exceptions are extra tools for mapping. Gramps can work without those though.

Your experience and guidance will be much appreciated.

My personal experience is that Ubuntu and Mint are easier to install than Debian, Fedora, or openSUSE. I can't say much about others though. And if you're used to the Windows start menu, you may not like the standard Ubuntu desktop very much, where you have a start bar on the left, and program menu's are always at the top of the screen. That's why I use Mint myself.

Also, if your redundant XP system is as old as mine, it may not be fast enough for Ubuntu or Mint, because of the graphic features used by their desktop environments. In that case, Lubuntu or Xubuntu may be a better choice. There's a lightweight version of Mint too, called Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce.

regards,

Re: Linux & Gramps

On 07/09/2015 07:36 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
[snip]

> My personal experience is that Ubuntu and Mint are easier to install than
> Debian, Fedora, or openSUSE. I can't say much about others though. And if
> you're used to the Windows start menu, you may not like the standard
> Ubuntu desktop very much, where you have a start bar on the left, and
> program menu's are always at the top of the screen. That's why I use Mint
> myself.
>
> Also, if your redundant XP system is as old as mine, it may not be fast
> enough for Ubuntu or Mint, because of the graphic features used by their
> desktop environments. In that case, Lubuntu or Xubuntu may be a better
> choice. There's a lightweight version of Mint too, called Linux Mint 17.1
> Xfce.

I vote Xubuntu (which uses the "XFCE Desktop") because of it's "Start Menu
and window buttons" motif follows the "standard" started by Windows 95.  If
you do decide on an XFCE-based DE (desktop environment), I strongly
recommend installing Whisker Menu as a replacement for the standard XFCE
menu system.

--
"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a
crime to examine the laws of heat." Christopher Morley

Re: Linux & Gramps

Rich Lakey
I've been running Linux for 10 years. At least 6 or 7 its been my primary system. Which distribution you use is a personal thing. I used Ubuntu for about 5 years and then got fed up with the desktop looking like my phone. Just wasn't what I wanted. I switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Both Linux Mint and Ubuntu have downloads that are live CD's. Otherwords you can boot from the CD and not disturb your harddrive until you decide to take the plunge.It does run slow from a live CD though.
The current Linux mint comes with Gramps 4.0.3 ready to install from its software manager.  But it is very easy to install other gramps releases as they are available in whats called "deb" packages.
Both Linux Mint and Ubuntu come with most software you need pre-installed.  I buy the way have an old desktop (cera 2005) sitting by my desk with XP and other Linux systems. I use it for doing my taxes.
I have one additional program installed on my machine I use daily. "UNISON". It allows me to synchronize my files between Linux machines and also the old XP machine as necessary. Also "WINE" allows me to run some Windows programs.such as another genealogy program I got from my father that shall remain nameless.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Rich

[...]

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/

Re: Linux & Gramps

Kenneth Browne
On 07/09/2015 04:52 AM, Keith Jacobs wrote:

I have dabbled with Linux in the past but have never stuck with it, however I now have a perfectly good, redundant windows XP, system that I am considering converting, totally, to Linux so I am looking for some guidance as to:

What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?

That is a loaded question, however since you're dealing with an XP system I would guess it's older and probably only capable of running a 32 bit version of whichever distribution you choose. I've recently upgraded to 64 bit Linux Mint after several years on a 32 bit version. I like it and one of its noteworthy aspects is familiarity for those used to Windows. There are various Mint distributions but my recommendation would be Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop.

Ken

Re: Linux & Gramps

jan bullock
I use pclinuxos, the one thing I like about it is if you keep it updated you are running the current version as it's a rolling release.

With that hardware I'd suggest Mate, LXDE or XFCE, I've never been a gnome fan but I do like mate. Gramps can be installed thru synaptic.

Go over to youtube and type in pclinuxos and take a look at the reviews, especially the reviews of mate.

jan

On 07/09/2015 09:42 AM, jan bullock wrote:
I've never been a gnome fan but I do like mate. Gramps can be installed thru synaptic.

Then actually you *are* a GNOME fan, in a retro kind of way.  That's because Mate is a continuation/fork of GNOME v2.32(?) by people who did not like GNOME3.

--
"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a
crime to examine the laws of heat." Christopher Morley

Re: Linux & Gramps

Dave Gilmore

I don't have much extra to add to the conversation but just wanted to cast my vote for Mint. Some distros make you add in things like certain drivers, codecs and plugins (flash) after the fact because those packages are not GNU friendly. But with Mint, everything just works for the most part.

Re: Linux & Gramps

Philippe Couka
Mint, which will make a smooth transition coming from xp.

Best regards

Philippe Couka

I don't have much extra to add to the conversation but just wanted to cast my vote for Mint. Some distros make you add in things like certain drivers, codecs and plugins (flash) after the fact because those packages are not GNU friendly. But with Mint, everything just works for the most part.

Re: Linux & Gramps

Richard Suthern

As has been said, there are several options each with its own merits. Why not take some time to evaluate them? Some Linux users have very strong opinions about distributions so I would say find out which suits you. You can always change later providing you have followed the Gramps' team about backups.

Personally I use Ubuntu flavours - Ubuntu for my live data and Xubuntu for testing.

I am attracted to Ubuntu for its ease of use. Sometimes the official software repositories for Ubuntu have an older version of Gramps. Should I want to, I can replace the older version with the newer version of Gramps by downloading a .deb file from the Gramps web site. This can easily be installed by me - either from the command line or by right clicking in the file manager. Of course Ubuntu may not have actually "approved" the newer version but sometimes I have found it helpful to get a newer version of Gramps that has features that I want.

Some Linux systems that are not based on Ubuntu use a different package manager, so the .deb file cannot be used. In this case there are still ways to install newer versions of Gramps. This is described in the Wiki.

One of the attractions of Linux is that you can easily try out new distributions. I have installed several different distributions on a USB stick for testing, to see a different look and feel etc. There are many videos out there showing you how. Give it a go with a spare USB stick.

The additional packages I use with Gramps are LibreOffice and a pdf viewer (usually supplied with the Linux distribution as standard). I often like to run reports in Gramps and then read them in pdf format. I have also sent pdf reports to friends / family. Also reports can be written in a Libreoffice format. This allows you to subsequently modify the reports to meet your own needs. You can also ask Gramps to export a view of your data for loading / analysing in a spreadsheet. Libreoffice is good for that too.

There's nothing to be lost by evaluating your options providing you backup your data.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Re: Linux & Gramps

Graham P Davis
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 11:07:36 +0200
Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 09:52 +0100, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> > What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?
> > What other packages/utilities should I install and in what order?
> > Your experience and guidance will be much appreciated.
>
> I am completely happy with OpenSuse Linux (currently 13.2) running the
> 64-bit version of Gramps 4.1.3 under Gnome. Gramps is in the
> distribution, so all packages needed are looked for and installed
> automatically.

I also use openSUSE but run Gramps on KDE. Works fine on that.

--
Graham Davis  [Retired Fortran programmer - now a mere computer user]
openSUSE Tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5.3.1; Kernel: 4.0.5;

Re: Linux & Gramps

On 07/09/2015 02:53 PM, Richard Suthern wrote:
[snip]
> Personally I use Ubuntu flavours - Ubuntu for my live data and Xubuntu for
> testing.

Interesting.  Why?  (I ask because it breaks the cardinal rule of QA:
"testing platform must be identical to production platform".)

--
"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a
crime to examine the laws of heat." Christopher Morley

Re: Linux & Gramps

Keith Jacobs
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well you don't make it easy.

Yes I will evaluate all of the options you have all suggested as the Linux
system will not, as yet anyway, be my primary system - that will remain my
Windows 7 system for now.

Regards
Keith Jacobs

> On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 09:52 +0100, Keith Jacobs wrote:

> > What is the best Linux distribution version for use with Gramps?
> > What other packages/utilities should I install and in what order?
> > Your experience and guidance will be much appreciated.
>
> I am completely happy with OpenSuse Linux (currently 13.2) running the
> 64-bit version of Gramps 4.1.3 under Gnome. Gramps is in the
> distribution, so all packages needed are looked for and installed
> automatically.

I also use openSUSE but run Gramps on KDE. Works fine on that.

--
Graham Davis  [Retired Fortran programmer - now a mere computer user]
openSUSE Tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5.3.1; Kernel: 4.0.5;
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau
driver); Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Re: Linux & Gramps

enno
Keith,
> Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well you don't make it easy.
You don't either :-)
> Yes I will evaluate all of the options you have all suggested as the Linux
> system will not, as yet anyway, be my primary system - that will remain my
> Windows 7 system for now.
All recent Gramps versions run fine on Windows 7, so unless you like to
do developing on Linux, I suggest that you simply run the Gramps version
of your choice on Windows 7.

Gramps backup files can be imported on any platform, so using it on
Windows 7 now does not mean that you will be stuck with that.

regards,

Re: Linux & Gramps

Dave Gilmore

> Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well you don't make it easy.

 The good news is most distros have a Live CD version. Just burn the ISO to a CD/DVD, plop it in and off you go. Of course, no changes are saved, but also your hard drive isn't touched either. One of the biggest hurdles users face when switching to ANY new OS is the desktop environment. This way, you can try a few and see how it feels.

>Gramps backup files can be imported on any platform, so using it on Windows 7 now does not mean that you will be stuck with that.

This is a great point. I routinely make backups of my work I do on a Mint Install and import them into a Windows install (same versions) and vice versa. This works really well for me.

Re: Linux & Gramps

On 07/10/2015 10:15 AM, Dave Gilmore wrote:

> > Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well you don't make it easy.
>
>  The good news is most distros have a Live CD version. Just burn the ISO
> to a CD/DVD, plop it in and off you go. Of course, no changes are saved,
> but also your hard drive isn't touched either. One of the biggest hurdles
> users face when switching to ANY new OS is the desktop environment. This
> way, you can try a few and see how it feels.
>
> >Gramps backup files can be imported on any platform, so using it on Windows 7 now does not mean that you will be stuck with that.
>
> This is a great point. I routinely make backups of my work I do on a Mint Install and import them into a Windows install (same versions) and vice versa. This works really well for me.

Dropbox is perfect for this scenario, especially if you use a script to
export a timestamped .gramps file to ~/Dropbox.  For example:
#!/bin/bash
T=$(date +"%F_%H:%M")
TREE="The Gilmores"  ## or whatever your tree name is
gramps -u -O ${TREE} -e ~/Dropbox/${T}_${TREE}.gramps

--
"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a
crime to examine the laws of heat." Christopher Morley

Re: Linux & Gramps

Dave Gilmore
Dropbox is perfect for this scenario, especially if you use a script to
export a timestamped .gramps file to ~/Dropbox.  For example:
#!/bin/bash
T=$(date +"%F_%H:%M")
TREE="The Gilmores"  ## or whatever your tree name is
gramps -u -O ${TREE} -e ~/Dropbox/${T}_${TREE}.gramps

Not to derail the thread, but I actually use a product called Owncloud for this. I run the server on a VPS I own, and install clients on all my PCs to sync my files. You don't have to run it on a server, though. You could install the "server" piece on any workstation at your home and it will work great. And it's free. And I get as much storage as I have available. And nobody else is touching my data