List Family Trees, tab delimited

Ron Johnson
Thanks to whoever added this feature.  "Last accessed" date is useful for determining if I need to back up the database or not.

What would be even more useful is "Last modified" date.  Is that possible/knowable?

Ron

Re: List Family Trees, tab delimited

DS Blank
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to whoever added this feature.  "Last accessed" date is useful for determining if I need to back up the database or not.

Looks like that was added by kulath here:

For those that may not know what Ron is talking about, gramps has these command-line flags:

* gramps -l : gives a short list of databases and their folders
* gramps -L: gives more details on the databases
* gramps -t: gives info as a tab-delimited table

What would be even more useful is "Last modified" date.  Is that possible/knowable?

I have often thought that "last modified" would be much more useful than "last accessed". As far as I know, I don't think we keep that handy. It could be determined by examining the data in the database, but that would be expensive. Better would be to keep it explicit, like we do for last accessed. Sounds like a good feature request.

-Doug

On 09/26/2016 11:29 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
[...]

Wrong one.

Here it is: https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=9722

Re: List Family Trees, tab delimited

paul womack
Doug Blank wrote:

> I have often thought that "last modified" would be much more useful than "last accessed". As far as I know, I don't think we keep that handy. It could be determined by examining the data in the database, but that would be expensive. Better would be to keep it explicit, like we do for last accessed. Sounds like a good feature request.

Disagree. Unless the cost is so high as make the feature unusuable
in practise, adding a denormalised field is (sort of by definition) bad.

   BugBear

Re: List Family Trees, tab delimited

Chris Darnell
Hello Paul,

Paul Womack wrote:
Doug Blank wrote:

> I have often thought that "last modified" would be much more useful than "last accessed". As far as I know, I don't think we keep that handy. It could be determined by examining the data in the database, but that would be expensive. Better would be to keep it explicit, like we do for last accessed. Sounds like a good feature request.

Disagree. Unless the cost is so high as make the feature unusuable
in practise, adding a denormalised field is (sort of by definition) bad.

In this case though, it would be better, since it would leave "last accessed" untouched.

Cheers,
Chris Darnell

On 09/27/2016 02:52 AM, paul womack wrote:

> Doug Blank wrote:
>  >
>> I have often thought that "last modified" would be much more useful than
>> "last accessed". As far as I know, I don't think we keep that handy. It
>> could be determined by examining the data in the database, but that would
>> be expensive. Better would be to keep it explicit, like we do for last
>> accessed. Sounds like a good feature request.
>
> Disagree. Unless the cost is so high as make the feature unusuable
> in practise, adding a denormalised field is (sort of by definition) bad.

Eh?  There's already a Last Modified field in most (all?) tables that the
user cares about.

The way to make such a query not take minutes is to another element (for
example, RecentItem/ModifiedTimestamp) to
$GRAMPSHOME/.gramps/recent-files-gramps.xml and update it just like
RecentItem/Timestamp is updated.