Local file repository?

David
I'm faily new to Gramps but I've already encountered broken media links as I'm using both a Linux machine and a windows laptop, where the paths is different between the two.
The mysql database is shared between the two with a synking software.

My files are scattered all around my machines, not easily found from the project folder so I was looking for some way to add file repositories in gramps where the files coould be found.

I found no such option and found nothing in the mailing lists or the manual so I'm asking here.

I'm proposing, or looking for, a new kind of Repository, a local file repo.
The repo is called something like Images or Documents and inside is a link to where the file could be found. The local documents folder or the external disc Image folder.
More links can be added to other machines folder paths where Gramps continue to look for the file if it wasn't found at the first path. It continues to search through the paths until the media is found.

To avoid Gramps looking up every document each time it is used, a file path variable could be set which works as a normal file link and is used if present.
If a media file has a broken path the should be an option to reload the broken repositories.

Instead of having to change the path for the files individually or through some search and replace we can change the file path in one or two repositories and have all images and documents using it update automatically.

It would also be useful for people working together  that has the same files but a different structure to share media links between them.

Does something like this exist? If not, is it a good idea?

regards,
David

Re: Local file repository?

Ron Johnson
On 1/16/19 5:35 PM, david rylander wrote:

> I'm faily new to Gramps but I've already encountered broken media links as
> I'm using both a Linux machine and a windows laptop, where the paths is
> different between the two.
> The mysql database is shared between the two with a synking software.
>
> My files are scattered all around my machines, not easily found from the
> project folder so I was looking for some way to add file repositories in
> gramps where the files coould be found.
>
> I found no such option and found nothing in the mailing lists or the
> manual so I'm asking here.
>
> I'm proposing, or looking for, a new kind of Repository, a local file repo.
> The repo is called something like Images or Documents and inside is a link
> to where the file could be found. The local documents folder or the
> external disc Image folder.
> More links can be added to other machines folder paths where Gramps
> continue to look for the file if it wasn't found at the first path. It
> continues to search through the paths until the media is found.
>
> To avoid Gramps looking up every document each time it is used, a file
> path variable could be set which works as a normal file link and is used
> if present.
> If a media file has a broken path the should be an option to reload the
> broken repositories.
>
> Instead of having to change the path for the files individually or through
> some search and replace we can change the file path in one or two
> repositories and have all images and documents using it update automatically.
>
> It would also be useful for people working together  that has the same
> files but a different structure to share media links between them.
>
> Does something like this exist? If not, is it a good idea?

In the first tab of Edit->Preferences is "Base Path for relative media
paths".  Decide on a folder name (I choose Genealogy_Media). Put all your
scans, pictures, folders with scans, pictures, etc under there and Gramps
will automatically see it.

Besides, scattering these important documents all around your hard drive is
a Really Bad Idea.

Re: Local file repository?

David
Thank you but that is only one path, I have many.

Sometimes it is wise to keep everything together, other times not.

I have much material: documents directly personalia related in the local documents folder, scanned photo albums from different people in a photofolder at a external drive, maps at another place. All together the material I use wouldn't fit in one location.
Having a few repositories in Gramps would help me tremendously.

-David

Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> skrev: (17 januari 2019 01:08:13 CET)
[...]

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi David

Please forgive me for not speaking earlier but Gramps is not the beast
for ypu on this, all my files are located on a NAS (under one main
folder as per Ron)for security and backup and I can point Gramps at the
NAS in both Windows and/or Linux
But as you have found due to fundamental differences in the file
structures you cannot connect both.
The only way I have to work on both machines is to call one machine main
(in this case my Windows PC) when I wish to work on the other machine I
export a full xml with media and transfer this to the linux machine and
import into Gramps, which I then largely use for reports and DynamicWeb
or to consult whilst working on something else on the Windows machine (I
never input data or media whilst on Linux much as I would like to).
Also bear in mind Gramps is not a multi user environment

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 17/01/2019 00:28, David wrote:

> [...]
>>> repositories and have all images and documents using it update
>> automatically.
>>>
>>> It would also be useful for people working together  that has the
>> same
>>> files but a different structure to share media links between them.
>>>
>>> Does something like this exist? If not, is it a good idea?
>>
>> In the first tab of Edit->Preferences is "Base Path for relative media
>> paths".  Decide on a folder name (I choose Genealogy_Media). Put all
>> your
>> scans, pictures, folders with scans, pictures, etc under there and
>> Gramps
>> will automatically see it.
>>
>> Besides, scattering these important documents all around your hard
>> drive is
>> a Really Bad Idea.
>>
>> --
>> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Local file repository?

Peter Merchant
On 17/01/2019 08:56, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> Hi David
>
> Please forgive me for not speaking earlier but Gramps is not the beast for ypu on this, all my files are located on a NAS (under one main folder as per Ron)for security and backup and I can point Gramps at the NAS in both Windows and/or Linux
> But as you have found due to fundamental differences in the file structures you cannot connect both.
> The only way I have to work on both machines is to call one machine main (in this case my Windows PC) when I wish to work on the other machine I export a full xml with media and transfer this to the linux machine and import into Gramps, which I then largely use for reports and DynamicWeb or to consult whilst working on something else on the Windows machine (I never input data or media whilst on Linux much as I would like to).
> Also bear in mind Gramps is not a multi user environment
>

> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 17/01/2019 00:28, David wrote:
>> Thank you but that is only one path, I have many.
>>
>> Sometimes it is wise to keep everything together, other times not.
>>
>> I have much material: documents directly personalia related in the local documents folder, scanned photo albums from different people in a photofolder at a external drive, maps at another place. All together the material I use wouldn't fit in one location.
>> Having a few repositories in Gramps would help me tremendously.
>>
>> -David
>>
>> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> skrev: (17 januari 2019 01:08:13 CET)
>>> links as
>>> is

>>> the
>>> in

>>> repo.
>>> link
>>> It

>>> file
>>> used
>>> the

>>> through
>>> automatically.

>>> same

>>> In the first tab of Edit->Preferences is "Base Path for relative media
>>> paths".  Decide on a folder name (I choose Genealogy_Media). Put all
>>> your
>>> scans, pictures, folders with scans, pictures, etc under there and
>>> Gramps
>>> will automatically see it.
>>>
>>> Besides, scattering these important documents all around your hard
>>> drive is
>>> a Really Bad Idea.
>>>
>>> --

I fully support Phil on this. I use three linux machines, all Kubuntu, two of them have the same file structure to locate  the gramps-media, the family one is slightly different. But within the gramps-media folder on all three the structure is identical.  It needs to be to keep my head straight.  I had thought of using Dropbox as a media store, but I have been dissuaded from this, not least because the  storage is limited. On the family machine the dropbox is owned by another user, so it has to be a shared folder, which affects both users storage allowance.

I export a backup from my main computer whenever I need to upgrade the others.  Consider this another form of backup!

I do have a lot of genealogy media that is in my research folders, but not shown on gramps. Some would argue that I am not using gramps to it's full capabilities, and I can but agree.

Peter

Re: Local file repository?

David
Phil and Peter. It sound like you would benefit from my proposal, that
you now have found ways to adopt to the Gramps single storage solution.

With a file repo you wouldn't have this limitation.

Say several people cooperate on research. They do not use the same
database, as in my case, but send gedcom exports between each other to
sync up once in a while.

Now say everyone has a local copy of their own containing a full scanned
archive from some association, this is big so they all store it where
they have space. One in the Gramps path, another at an external drive,
the third at a local server.

They can create a file repo called AssociationX-files where they all add
their local paths. Now they can share the gedcom info without having to
mess with broken media links as they update automatic.

It also wouldn't be very intruding for anyone not interested in this
feature, a single item added to the Repositories menu.

-David

On 2019-01-17 10:28, Peter Merchant wrote:

> On 17/01/2019 08:56, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
>>

>> Hi David
>>
>> Please forgive me for not speaking earlier but Gramps is not the beast for ypu on this, all my files are located on a NAS (under one main folder as per Ron)for security and backup and I can point Gramps at the NAS in both Windows and/or Linux
>> But as you have found due to fundamental differences in the file structures you cannot connect both.
>> The only way I have to work on both machines is to call one machine main (in this case my Windows PC) when I wish to work on the other machine I export a full xml with media and transfer this to the linux machine and import into Gramps, which I then largely use for reports and DynamicWeb or to consult whilst working on something else on the Windows machine (I never input data or media whilst on Linux much as I would like to).
>> Also bear in mind Gramps is not a multi user environment
>>

>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>> On 17/01/2019 00:28, David wrote:
>>> Thank you but that is only one path, I have many.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it is wise to keep everything together, other times not.
>>>
>>> I have much material: documents directly personalia related in the local documents folder, scanned photo albums from different people in a photofolder at a external drive, maps at another place. All together the material I use wouldn't fit in one location.
>>> Having a few repositories in Gramps would help me tremendously.
>>>
>>> -David
>>>
>>> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> skrev: (17 januari 2019 01:08:13 CET)

> I fully support Phil on this. I use three linux machines, all Kubuntu, two of them have the same file structure to locate  the gramps-media, the family one is slightly different. But within the gramps-media folder on all three the structure is identical.  It needs to be to keep my head straight.  I had thought of using Dropbox as a media store, but I have been dissuaded from this, not least because the  storage is limited. On the family machine the dropbox is owned by another user, so it has to be a shared folder, which affects both users storage allowance.
>
> I export a backup from my main computer whenever I need to upgrade the others.  Consider this another form of backup!
>
> I do have a lot of genealogy media that is in my research folders, but not shown on gramps. Some would argue that I am not using gramps to it's full capabilities, and I can but agree.
>

> Peter

Re: Local file repository?

Hi Peter

You have reminded me of the issue I had forgotten to mention when using
network devices and that is when adding media Gramps can appear to hang
up or be slow (it hasn't) it just is not setup to handle the slight
network delays compared to working on the hard drive of the PC.
Well at least that is what happens on my system.

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 17/01/2019 09:28, Peter Merchant wrote:

> I fully support Phil on this. I use three linux machines, all Kubuntu, two of them have the same file structure to locate  the gramps-media, the family one is slightly different. But within the gramps-media folder on all three the structure is identical.  It needs to be to keep my head straight.  I had thought of using Dropbox as a media store, but I have been dissuaded from this, not least because the  storage is limited. On the family machine the dropbox is owned by another user, so it has to be a shared folder, which affects both users storage allowance.
>
> I export a backup from my main computer whenever I need to upgrade the others.  Consider this another form of backup!
>
> I do have a lot of genealogy media that is in my research folders, but not shown on gramps. Some would argue that I am not using gramps to it's full capabilities, and I can but agree.
>

> Peter

Re: Local file repository?

Hi David

One correction I have not adapted to Gramps single storage solution,
Gramps fits my pattern of work ie structured storage of data and
practices developed over many years.

Suspect this thread needs a developers input

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 17/01/2019 09:58, David wrote:

> [...]
>> I fully support Phil on this. I use three linux machines, all Kubuntu,
>> two of them have the same file structure to locate  the gramps-media,
>> the family one is slightly different. But within the gramps-media
>> folder on all three the structure is identical.  It needs to be to
>> keep my head straight.  I had thought of using Dropbox as a media
>> store, but I have been dissuaded from this, not least because the
>> storage is limited. On the family machine the dropbox is owned by
>> another user, so it has to be a shared folder, which affects both
>> users storage allowance.
>>
>> I export a backup from my main computer whenever I need to upgrade the
>> others.  Consider this another form of backup!
>>
>> I do have a lot of genealogy media that is in my research folders, but
>> not shown on gramps. Some would argue that I am not using gramps to
>> it's full capabilities, and I can but agree.

Re: Local file repository?

Peter Merchant
Hi Phil, There have been previous discussions about this, and that is why I have kept things separate.

PS WRT a previous stream about combining databases, having the laptop next to my main computer has allowed me to run two instances of gramps on the same (copied) data  to help sort out the 'unused items' and other problems with my data.

Peter

On 17/01/2019 10:00, phil wharram wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> You have reminded me of the issue I had forgotten to mention when using network devices and that is when adding media Gramps can appear to hang up or be slow (it hasn't) it just is not setup to handle the slight network delays compared to working on the hard drive of the PC.
> Well at least that is what happens on my system.
>

> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 17/01/2019 09:28, Peter Merchant wrote:
>

>> I fully support Phil on this. I use three linux machines, all Kubuntu, two of them have the same file structure to locate  the gramps-media, the family one is slightly different. But within the gramps-media folder on all three the structure is identical.  It needs to be to keep my head straight.  I had thought of using Dropbox as a media store, but I have been dissuaded from this, not least because the  storage is limited. On the family machine the dropbox is owned by another user, so it has to be a shared folder, which affects both users storage allowance.
>>
>> I export a backup from my main computer whenever I need to upgrade the others.  Consider this another form of backup!
>>
>> I do have a lot of genealogy media that is in my research folders, but not shown on gramps. Some would argue that I am not using gramps to it's full capabilities, and I can but agree.
>>

>> Peter

> .

Re: Local file repository?

David
I'm using the same database on several machines. They all have a synced
copy with Syncthing and I can work on either machine without having to
manually sync my data with exports and such.

I had to convert ot MySQL as bsddb had version issues between the
different Gramps installs.

Other than media paths I have not run into any problems sharing my data
between machines. Everything is in sync.

-David

On 2019-01-17 11:55, Peter Merchant wrote:

> Hi Phil, There have been previous discussions about this, and that is why I have kept things separate.
>
> PS WRT a previous stream about combining databases, having the laptop next to my main computer has allowed me to run two instances of gramps on the same (copied) data  to help sort out the 'unused items' and other problems with my data.
>

> Peter
>

> On 17/01/2019 10:00, phil wharram wrote:
>> Hi Peter
>>
>> You have reminded me of the issue I had forgotten to mention when using network devices and that is when adding media Gramps can appear to hang up or be slow (it hasn't) it just is not setup to handle the slight network delays compared to working on the hard drive of the PC.
>> Well at least that is what happens on my system.
>>

>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>> On 17/01/2019 09:28, Peter Merchant wrote:
>>
>>> I fully support Phil on this. I use three linux machines, all Kubuntu, two of them have the same file structure to locate  the gramps-media, the family one is slightly different. But within the gramps-media folder on all three the structure is identical.  It needs to be to keep my head straight.  I had thought of using Dropbox as a media store, but I have been dissuaded from this, not least because the  storage is limited. On the family machine the dropbox is owned by another user, so it has to be a shared folder, which affects both users storage allowance.
>>>
>>> I export a backup from my main computer whenever I need to upgrade the others.  Consider this another form of backup!
>>>
>>> I do have a lot of genealogy media that is in my research folders, but not shown on gramps. Some would argue that I am not using gramps to it's full capabilities, and I can but agree.
>>>

>>> Peter

>> .

Re: Local file repository?

Bryan S
This thread reminds me of the long and tedious road taken decades ago when the first attempts were taken to establish a
reliable process called 'Version Control' which remains with us even today.

The biggest question, at that time, was simply "Who has the latest and greatest information or version of a computer program?".
Since then, several solutions have been successfully applied to the problem. However, the solution is almost always data-dependent. That is to say,
there wasn't a single solution.
If you work in a closed environment such as a development company, large corporation, ANCESTRY.com or a government, you can impose strict rules
about who and when information can be shared and updated. If your a member of a group of non-related users such as GRAMPS, the 'sharing' rules become a bit
different.

I have found that implementing db updates through a Change Log generated by one user/database and applied to another seems to work
the best in these situations.

Just thoughts...no solutions.

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 10:17 +0000, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

[...]

prculley
Regarding media store in different places on different machines.

If the media are mostly in a few directories but are the same per directory on each machine, it may be possible to use OS 'links' (symlink for Linux, soft or hard links for Windows) on one or more machines to unify the media layout that Gramps uses.  For example
Photos are stored in c:\users\you\photos on windows, but ~/photos on Linux.
Stories are stored in c:\users\you\Documents on windows, but ~/documents on Linux
Videos are stored in c:\users\you\Videos on windows, but ~/media/nasdrive/Videos on Linux

If you add three links on your Windows machine, perhaps located in a  c:\users\you\Documents\Gramps directory to each of the three other directories, then you could start Gramps from that 'Gramps' directory and directly reference the photos, documents and videos directories for each media file.
Same thing on Linux, except the links would point to the appropriate places on that machine.

If done well, Gramps would never know the difference; it would always find the media files without messing with the relative media base path.

Of course, if the media files are truly scattered all over the place and different on each machine, you would spend all your time creating links, and not doing genealogy.  So this would not work.

Paul C.

P.S.  As a developer I suspect that we are unlikely to spend time on any Gramps specific solution to this problem.  Of course, since Gramps is open source and anyone can contribute, that doesn't mean it will never happen, just that it needs a sufficiently motivated volunteer for the solution.