Locked databases --force-unlock

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Locked databases --force-unlock

Martnal
Hello, How do I use this option under Windows 10?  I was routinely editing when the GRAMPS screen froze, and I was unable to close it or access any other running programs.  I closed them all, then used Task manager to close GRAMPS.  On restarting I got the following messages.  (VORTEX is my PC's name).





My latest backup is two hours ago, but I've done a lot in those two hours!

Martin, with thanks

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Ron Johnson
Click "Close" and then go to "Manage Family Trees".  You should see a Lock
icon next to your tree. Click on it, and it should ask you to unlock the
tree.  Say yes.

Alternatively, close the GUI and open a command window.  Type:
gramps --force-unlock --open=YOUR-TREE-NAME

If YOUR-TREE-NAME has spaces or other characters besides alpha, numeric,
underscore and dash, put it in double-quotes.

On 09/22/2016 05:54 AM, Martnal wrote:

> Hello, How do I use this option under Windows 10?  I was routinely editing
> when the GRAMPS screen froze, and I was unable to close it or access any
> other running programs.  I closed them all, then used Task manager to close
> GRAMPS.  On restarting I got the following messages.  (VORTEX is my PC's
> name).
>
> <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4676924/Error_160922_GRAMPS.jpg>
>
> <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4676924/Error_160922_GRAMPS_2.jpg>
>
> My latest backup is two hours ago, but I've done a lot in those two hours!
>
> Martin, with thanks


--
World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Martnal
Ron, option one worked fine.  Thank you so much.  I hope to find that my ancestors are descended from your ancestors!!  Thanks again.

Martin

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
WJH
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

WJH
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson
/
Click "Close" and then go to "Manage Family Trees".  You should see a Lock
icon next to your tree. Click on it, and it should ask you to unlock the
tree.  Say yes.

Alternatively, close the GUI and open a command window.  Type:
gramps --force-unlock --open=YOUR-TREE-NAME"/

I have the same problem as the original post but with the added complication
that my database does not appear in the Manage Family Trees window, so
option 1 is not available to me.

When I use option 2, I receive the message "'GRAMPS' is not recognised as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file".  It is a long
time since I attempted to use DOS commands - do I need to navigate to a
specific folder before entering the command shown - or have you any other
suggestions? Thanks, Liam



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Ron Johnson
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson
On 10/25/2017 07:16 AM, WJH wrote:

> /
> Click "Close" and then go to "Manage Family Trees".  You should see a Lock
> icon next to your tree. Click on it, and it should ask you to unlock the
> tree.  Say yes.
>
> Alternatively, close the GUI and open a command window.  Type:
> gramps --force-unlock --open=YOUR-TREE-NAME"/
>
> I have the same problem as the original post but with the added complication
> that my database does not appear in the Manage Family Trees window, so
> option 1 is not available to me.
>
> When I use option 2, I receive the message "'GRAMPS' is not recognised as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file".  It is a long
> time since I attempted to use DOS commands - do I need to navigate to a
> specific folder before entering the command shown - or have you any other
> suggestions? Thanks, Liam

Find where the gramps executable is, and specify that full filename when you
run the command.

(I'd look in the Gramps icon's Properties dialog window.)

--
World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
WJH
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

WJH
/Find where the gramps executable is, and specify that full filename when you
run the command.

(I'd look in the Gramps icon's Properties dialog window.)/

I actually figured that out after I'd posted but still no joy.  The response
I got to the command line instruction is shown here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rogzt5w4gukqh2x/gramps01.pdf?dl=0
I have no idea what "Trying to open:  \ufffdo ..." means. (Incidentally, "u
with a circumflex" is how my command line editor displays "-").

I have noticed a further strange fact - my preferences within Gramps show
the database as being in a custom location (which is correct) but the latest
file amendment dates in that folder are September 2016 while I know I have
made amendments this year.  However, there is an identically named folder in
Users/****/AppData/Roaming which is bigger, contains files not present in
the custom location (eg "Lock" and .gbpk files) and has "last amended dates"
this year - possibly around the time I made amendments.  It makes me wonder
if, for some reason, I have updated the database in its default location
rather than the current preference, ie the custom location.  To see if it
would help I tried changing my preference back to the default location but
have been defeated by the fact that, although I have my folder view set to
show hidden folders and files, and AppData can be seen in Windows Explorer
and my file manager, it does NOT appear  when I try to navigate to it in
Gramps Preferences - so  I have been unable to restore the default location.

If you can make sense of the above, I'd appreciate any suggestions (and
thanks for your very prompt, previous reply).
Liam



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Dave Scheipers
Not sure of breaking locks etc, but check the  recent-files-gramps.xml
 (roaming\gramps)

This should tell you which files are which. It has the file structure,
the file name, and a time stamp


Try modifying the Gramps.ini file manually to change the default DB
path (roaming\gramps\gramps42)

database-path='C:\\Users\\<user>\\appdata\\roaming\\gramps\\grampsdb'

Make sure you modify the ini file while gramps is closed. If you close
gramps after modifying the ini file, the path will get reset to what
you have in the open gramps session.


Not sure if this helps.... Dave


On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 1:44 PM, WJH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> /Find where the gramps executable is, and specify that full filename when you
> run the command.
>
> (I'd look in the Gramps icon's Properties dialog window.)/
>
> I actually figured that out after I'd posted but still no joy.  The response
> I got to the command line instruction is shown here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rogzt5w4gukqh2x/gramps01.pdf?dl=0
> I have no idea what "Trying to open:  \ufffdo ..." means. (Incidentally, "u
> with a circumflex" is how my command line editor displays "-").
>
> I have noticed a further strange fact - my preferences within Gramps show
> the database as being in a custom location (which is correct) but the latest
> file amendment dates in that folder are September 2016 while I know I have
> made amendments this year.  However, there is an identically named folder in
> Users/****/AppData/Roaming which is bigger, contains files not present in
> the custom location (eg "Lock" and .gbpk files) and has "last amended dates"
> this year - possibly around the time I made amendments.  It makes me wonder
> if, for some reason, I have updated the database in its default location
> rather than the current preference, ie the custom location.  To see if it
> would help I tried changing my preference back to the default location but
> have been defeated by the fact that, although I have my folder view set to
> show hidden folders and files, and AppData can be seen in Windows Explorer
> and my file manager, it does NOT appear  when I try to navigate to it in
> Gramps Preferences - so  I have been unable to restore the default location.
>
> If you can make sense of the above, I'd appreciate any suggestions (and
> thanks for your very prompt, previous reply).
> Liam
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

enno
In reply to this post by WJH
Hello Liam,

> I actually figured that out after I'd posted but still no joy.  The response
> I got to the command line instruction is shown here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rogzt5w4gukqh2x/gramps01.pdf?dl=0
> I have no idea what "Trying to open:  \ufffdo ..." means. (Incidentally, "u
> with a circumflex" is how my command line editor displays "-").
Me neither, but the line above that tells me that Gramps didn't
recognize the -o option, so you may need to check the wiki for the
proper one.

> I have noticed a further strange fact - my preferences within Gramps show
> the database as being in a custom location (which is correct) but the latest
> file amendment dates in that folder are September 2016 while I know I have
> made amendments this year.  However, there is an identically named folder in
> Users/****/AppData/Roaming which is bigger, contains files not present in
> the custom location (eg "Lock" and .gbpk files) and has "last amended dates"
> this year - possibly around the time I made amendments.  It makes me wonder
> if, for some reason, I have updated the database in its default location
> rather than the current preference, ie the custom location.  To see if it
> would help I tried changing my preference back to the default location but
> have been defeated by the fact that, although I have my folder view set to
> show hidden folders and files, and AppData can be seen in Windows Explorer
> and my file manager, it does NOT appear  when I try to navigate to it in
> Gramps Preferences - so  I have been unable to restore the default location.
It looks like your analysis is right, and maybe the default location was
restored when you updated Gramps, or something. I don't regularly use it
on Windows, so I have never seen this happen, but I can imagine that it
does, especially when you uninstall the old version first.

When you change the path preferences, I think that the folder selector
will allow you to right click in the folder view, and active show hidden
files in the context menu.

I personally avoid changing paths, because I assume that most people
(developers, testers, and users alike) use the default paths, so that
errors with custom paths are less likely to be found. I do make sure
that the files in the default path are synced with an external drive, so
I can always restore the database when needed.

To find your most recent data, I suggest that you search your whole
system for folders named grampsdb, backup/zip all contents of these, and
merge all contents into a single grampsdb folder in the standard
location, or a known one in a visible place and set that one in
preferences. You should only do this however if the folder names inside
the grampsdb folder are different. If you find folders with identical
names keep one in a different place for now. You may check the last
changed dates of the files in all folders to see which are the newest,
and you may also check the contents of the name.txt files in there, to
see the names of your trees, in case you have a couple of different ones.

Once you have all numbered folders in the same grampsdb, and the
preferences set to that, you should be able to see all your trees, and
unlock or restore them using the database/tree manager, since as far as
I'm concerned, there is no need to use the command line for this.

Hope this helps,

Enno



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
WJH
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

WJH
In reply to this post by Dave Scheipers
/
Not sure of breaking locks etc, but check the  recent-files-gramps.xml
 (roaming\gramps)

This should tell you which files are which. It has the file structure,
the file name, and a time stamp


Try modifying the Gramps.ini file manually to change the default DB
path (roaming\gramps\gramps42)

database-path='C:\\Users\\<user>\\appdata\\roaming\\gramps\\grampsdb'/

Thanks Dave - this wasn't the whole answer but was crucial in helping me
figure it out.  The time stamps confirmed that the database in the default
location is later than that in the custom location (assuming that a higher
number means later - the time stamp format does not leap out at you).
However, the really important hint related to the .ini files.  On examining
those, I found that the file in the default location pointed at the custom
location's database and vice-versa - inexplicable and with less than obvious
effects. I modified the database path in the default location so that both
.inis pointed at the default location database in the hope that this would
eliminate the locking problem but it didn't.
Now knowing that I was dealing with the default location, I turned my
attention to the file named Lock. It contained my name and computer name in
plain text so I tried deleting this, leaving the file blank.  Again, this
was unsuccessful.  Next, I deleted the Lock file completely and was able to
open my family tree in its up-to-date state.  Problem solved!  Thanks again
for your input.
Liam



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
WJH
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

WJH
In reply to this post by enno
/

I personally avoid changing paths, because I assume that most people
(developers, testers, and users alike) use the default paths, so that
errors with custom paths are less likely to be found. I do make sure
that the files in the default path are synced with an external drive, so
I can always restore the database when needed./

Hi Enno, thanks for your help.
As you will see from my reply to Dave (above), I have managed to resolve the
problem.  However, your point about custom paths is well made and I shall
now revert to holding everything in the default location.  My only reason
for changing this was to keep all my data together for ease of backup but it
is not a major issue to define another, separate backup location.
It might be a useful addition to the Gramps methods of forcing an unlock:
"Find the Lock file for the relevant database and delete it".  (Always
assuming I don't run into unforeseen consequences down the line!)   Liam




--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Dave Scheipers
In reply to this post by WJH
Glad I could help.

I wondered how this scenario could happen. When you 'moved' your
database to the new custom location, did you manually copy the gramps
database folder to the new location leaving the original under
roaming\gramps\grampsdb ?? while at the same time leaving the checkbox
'open last used' ?? So while you changed the default path, because
last used was always checked the original database was opening. When
you had the problem, everything you tried sent you the database based
upon the custom path while the problem was in the original folder.

I use a custom path for my database and media files. I have them under
the Public user profile (Windows) so the database is accessible to all
profiles on the computer. The original folder is empty and instead of
moving the gramps database folders, I let Gramps create the new
database from an xml backup.

I hope the first thing you do now that you have access to the database
is to backup.... backup... backup. I use the menu 'Make Backup' after
every session.

Dave

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 8:11 AM, WJH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> /
> Not sure of breaking locks etc, but check the  recent-files-gramps.xml
>  (roaming\gramps)
>
> This should tell you which files are which. It has the file structure,
> the file name, and a time stamp
>
>
> Try modifying the Gramps.ini file manually to change the default DB
> path (roaming\gramps\gramps42)
>
> database-path='C:\\Users\\<user>\\appdata\\roaming\\gramps\\grampsdb'/
>
> Thanks Dave - this wasn't the whole answer but was crucial in helping me
> figure it out.  The time stamps confirmed that the database in the default
> location is later than that in the custom location (assuming that a higher
> number means later - the time stamp format does not leap out at you).
> However, the really important hint related to the .ini files.  On examining
> those, I found that the file in the default location pointed at the custom
> location's database and vice-versa - inexplicable and with less than obvious
> effects. I modified the database path in the default location so that both
> .inis pointed at the default location database in the hope that this would
> eliminate the locking problem but it didn't.
> Now knowing that I was dealing with the default location, I turned my
> attention to the file named Lock. It contained my name and computer name in
> plain text so I tried deleting this, leaving the file blank.  Again, this
> was unsuccessful.  Next, I deleted the Lock file completely and was able to
> open my family tree in its up-to-date state.  Problem solved!  Thanks again
> for your input.
> Liam
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
WJH
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

WJH
Dave Scheipers wrote

> I wondered how this scenario could happen. When you 'moved' your
> database to the new custom location, did you manually copy the gramps
> database folder to the new location leaving the original under
> roaming\gramps\grampsdb ?? while at the same time leaving the checkbox
> 'open last used' ?? So while you changed the default path, because
> last used was always checked the original database was opening. When
> you had the problem, everything you tried sent you the database based
> upon the custom path while the problem was in the original folder.
>
> I hope the first thing you do now that you have access to the database
> is to backup.... backup... backup. I use the menu 'Make Backup' after
> every session.

I think you are right - I almost certainly  copied the Gramps folder from
the default location to the custom location and what you suggest then seems
a probable outcome.

Actually, I'm pretty obsessive about backups and have the Gramps folder
backing up dynamically to a remote server. However, that would not really
have helped me as restoring the folder would have restored whatever nasty
files or indicators were causing the problem. When using Gramps native
backup as you suggest, would importing the backed up image not hit the same
problem? Or would it require reinstalling Gramps and then importing?  Liam




--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
NdK
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

NdK
Il 27/10/2017 16:35, WJH ha scritto:

> Actually, I'm pretty obsessive about backups and have the Gramps folder
> backing up dynamically to a remote server.
As highlighted many times, that could be not enough.
> However, that would not really
> have helped me as restoring the folder would have restored whatever nasty
> files or indicators were causing the problem. When using Gramps native
> backup as you suggest, would importing the backed up image not hit the same
> problem? Or would it require reinstalling Gramps and then importing?  Liam
The *best* backup you can do is exporting to .gramps on a duplicated
folder after every session (or even multiple times during an intensive
session!). I usually do it every time I take a break for a coffee.

This way you'll be able to recover your work with any gramps version
sufficiently similar to the one you've used to create the file: you
don't need the exact same version. BSDDB pickiness...

BYtE,
 Diego

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Nick Hall
On 27/10/17 17:34, NdK wrote:
The *best* backup you can do is exporting to .gramps on a duplicated
folder after every session (or even multiple times during an intensive
session!). I usually do it every time I take a break for a coffee.

Very good advice.

A file-level copy can be used as a backup, but be very careful how you use it.  See:

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8517

Nick.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
WJH
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

WJH
Nick Hall wrote
> On 27/10/17 17:34, NdK wrote:
>> The*best*  backup you can do is exporting to .gramps on a duplicated
>> folder after every session (or even multiple times during an intensive
>> session!). I usually do it every time I take a break for a coffee.
>
> Very good advice.

Now you are worrying me.  Is Gramps really THAT fragile?

Liam




--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Dave Scheipers
I think the message Nick was trying to convey... backing up is a good
thing and you can never have too many backups.

Too often users have posted here that they have a problem and our
first advice is to have them install their database from a backup that
they then admit doesn't exist. Too many users do not backup. The test
version of 5.0 has the backup to xml .gramps automatically occurring
on exit after modifications.

I added the hour to the xml .gramps backup because I too backup after
every session and often anytime I step away from the computer when
real life intrudes. I set it to backup now while I'm post this email.
In gramps.ini

quick-backup-filename='%(filename)s
%(year)d-%(month)02d-%(day)02d-%(hour)02d.%(extension)s'

These files I put on a thumb drive at the end of the day. Once a week
I backup the raw database folder and my media folders.

Dave

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 3:20 PM, WJH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nick Hall wrote
>> On 27/10/17 17:34, NdK wrote:
>>> The*best*  backup you can do is exporting to .gramps on a duplicated
>>> folder after every session (or even multiple times during an intensive
>>> session!). I usually do it every time I take a break for a coffee.
>>
>> Very good advice.
>
> Now you are worrying me.  Is Gramps really THAT fragile?
>
> Liam
>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by WJH
On 27/10/17 20:20, WJH wrote:
> Now you are worrying me.  Is Gramps really THAT fragile?

No. I have always found Gramps to be stable, but I still make regular
backups.

I don't recommend making a file-level copy of the database.  Use the
export or backup facilities provided instead.

Nick.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

Oldest1
In reply to this post by Nick Hall

As I understand things 'Gramps', the back up from within Gramps is like backing up the database along with the data.

Backing up the data outside of Gramps is just that - just the data - without the linkage between parts of the data recorded in the database.

How far am I off the mark?

Arnold

On 10/27/2017 12:20 PM, WJH wrote:
Nick Hall wrote
On 27/10/17 17:34, NdK wrote:
The*best*  backup you can do is exporting to .gramps on a duplicated
folder after every session (or even multiple times during an intensive
session!). I usually do it every time I take a break for a coffee.
Very good advice.
Now you are worrying me.  Is Gramps really THAT fragile?

Liam




--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
NdK
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

NdK
In reply to this post by WJH
Il 27/10/2017 21:20, WJH ha scritto:

> Now you are worrying me.  Is Gramps really THAT fragile?
Yes.
At least it happened to me (and many others) to be unable to open a
database (and corrupt it trying) for "no apparent reason". Actually the
reason is often that bsddb got updated under the hood, or something else
in the system changed. So, unless you can be certain to recreate the
exact same configuration in a new environment (easier with Win AIO
packages, way harder in Linux), a file-level backup is "worse" than no
backup, since it gives you a false sense of security ("I have backups...").
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I use text dumps of all my critical DBs
(MySQL and Postgres, and Oracle too, when I still used it): way slower
than a file backup, but makes me feel a lot safer.

BYtE,
 Diego

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
NdK
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Locked databases --force-unlock

NdK
In reply to this post by Oldest1
Il 28/10/2017 01:04, [hidden email] ha scritto:
> As I understand things 'Gramps', the back up from within Gramps is like
> backing up the database along with the data.
> Backing up the data outside of Gramps is just that - just the data -
> without the linkage between parts of the data recorded in the database.
When you export Gramps data, you can choose to include or exclude media
objects. Obviously if you don't include 'em the export if faster and
smaller, but you'll have to sync those items at the filesystem level
(anyone keeping media folder on Dropbox or similar services? :) ).

> How far am I off the mark?
Just a bit :)

BYtE,
 Diego

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
12