Looking for opinions on a UI feature...

Don Allingham
Right now, we have "indicator lights" next to dates. Green means the
date is in a correct format, yellow means the date is incomplete, and
red means that the date is not recognized.

I'm not sure if these are the best indicators. I have posted a picture
( http://gramps-project.org/files/sample.jpg ) that uses GTK stock icons
instead, using a "warning" icon for incomplete dates, and an "error"
icon for unrecognized strings.

Please look at this and let me know if this is a better method then the
current "indicator lights"

Thanks.

Don

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Looking for opinions on a UI feature...

Tim Waugh
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:55:23PM -0600, Don Allingham wrote:

> I'm not sure if these are the best indicators. I have posted a picture
> ( http://gramps-project.org/files/sample.jpg ) that uses GTK stock icons
> instead, using a "warning" icon for incomplete dates, and an "error"
> icon for unrecognized strings.

What do you get for a complete date, a tick?

> Please look at this and let me know if this is a better method then the
> current "indicator lights"

Slightly better than the indicator lights, I think.

Tim.
*/

Re: Looking for opinions on a UI feature...

Eero Tamminen

On Friday 07 October 2005 07:55, Don Allingham wrote:

> Right now, we have "indicator lights" next to dates. Green means the
> date is in a correct format, yellow means the date is incomplete, and
> red means that the date is not recognized.
>
> I'm not sure if these are the best indicators. I have posted a picture
> ( http://gramps-project.org/files/sample.jpg ) that uses GTK stock icons
> instead, using a "warning" icon for incomplete dates, and an "error"
> icon for unrecognized strings.
>
> Please look at this and let me know if this is a better method then the
> current "indicator lights"

I think the worst usability problem with indicator lights is that
they are buttons (like the event editor button next to them),
but don't look like buttons.

        - Eero

Re: Looking for opinions on a UI feature...

Eric Newman
Maybe you could put the icon inside the text entry, similar to how web
browsers put the icon in the URL bar? That way it wouldn't look like a
button, and would seem more linked with the date entry.

Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:55:23PM -0600, Don Allingham wrote:
>

>>I'm not sure if these are the best indicators. I have posted a picture
>>( http://gramps-project.org/files/sample.jpg ) that uses GTK stock icons
>>instead, using a "warning" icon for incomplete dates, and an "error"
>>icon for unrecognized strings.
>

> What do you get for a complete date, a tick?

It would still be a green dot (GTK_STOCK_DIALOG_YES)