Looking for support.

Allan Topp
Within GRAMPS there is the capability, by dragging and dropping, to
re-order events to suit one's particular fancy.  For me that would be
chronological order.  However others may think differently.

Those of you who use web reports will likely know that GRAMPS is set up
to output birth detail, followed by death details followed by all the
other other events that the user has added in the order of their
appearance in GRAMPS.  In other words GRAMPS intentionally puts Death
second.  Before Baptism, or Occupation or whatever.

I do not think this is how it should work.  If the events can not be
automatically output in chronological order then GRAMPS should at least
maintain the order set by the user.

I think this needs to be addressed but it only will be if there is User
support.  Your input is solicited.

Re: Looking for support.

Duncan Lithgow-2
I think you're right Allan, but the list of things that "need" to be
done is very long and the people doing the work may not think that
what you mention is very important. So don't be supprised if nothing
happens soon.

Please file a bug report so that the issue does get fixed

Re: Looking for support.

Adam Stein
I also order events in chronological order (with the exception of
"global" stuff like religion or medical stuff that doesn't really have a
date associated with it at the top).  I've been doing this ever since I
realized you CAN do this.

While I haven't used the web stuff yet, I would like to see the web
output keep my ordering first and foremost with an option to list
out of order, I modify the report and the database to make sure it
doesn't happen again.

The web output should list events in the order listed as do the reports.

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:01 -0500, Allan Topp wrote:

> Within GRAMPS there is the capability, by dragging and dropping, to
> re-order events to suit one's particular fancy.  For me that would be
> chronological order.  However others may think differently.
>
> Those of you who use web reports will likely know that GRAMPS is set up
> to output birth detail, followed by death details followed by all the
> other other events that the user has added in the order of their
> appearance in GRAMPS.  In other words GRAMPS intentionally puts Death
> second.  Before Baptism, or Occupation or whatever.
>
> I do not think this is how it should work.  If the events can not be
> automatically output in chronological order then GRAMPS should at least
> maintain the order set by the user.
>
> I think this needs to be addressed but it only will be if there is User
> support.  Your input is solicited.

Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Re: Looking for support.

Allan Topp
I did file a bug report which, because the programme was performing "as
designed", was dismissed.

My posting was precipitated because of this.

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> I think you're right Allan, but the list of things that "need" to be
> done is very long and the people doing the work may not think that
> what you mention is very important. So don't be supprised if nothing
> happens soon.
>
> Please file a bug report so that the issue does get fixed

Re: Looking for support.

Gerald Britton-2
In that case, you'll need to refile it as a feature request

On 3/6/07, Allan Topp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did file a bug report which, because the programme was performing "as
> designed", was dismissed.
>
> My posting was precipitated because of this.
>

> Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > I think you're right Allan, but the list of things that "need" to be
> > done is very long and the people doing the work may not think that
> > what you mention is very important. So don't be supprised if nothing
> > happens soon.
> >
> > Please file a bug report so that the issue does get fixed

Fwd: Looking for support.

Gerald Britton-2
Probably you should file a bug report.  At the very least Gramps
should respect the ordering you set up.

You should also file a feature request to produce chronological
ordering -- not only in reports and on the web site, but also within
the database itself i.e. if I add an event that happens between two
others I would want gramps to reorder the events to preserver
chronological order.

On 3/6/07, Allan Topp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Within GRAMPS there is the capability, by dragging and dropping, to
> re-order events to suit one's particular fancy.  For me that would be
> chronological order.  However others may think differently.
>
> Those of you who use web reports will likely know that GRAMPS is set up
> to output birth detail, followed by death details followed by all the
> other other events that the user has added in the order of their
> appearance in GRAMPS.  In other words GRAMPS intentionally puts Death
> second.  Before Baptism, or Occupation or whatever.
>
> I do not think this is how it should work.  If the events can not be
> automatically output in chronological order then GRAMPS should at least
> maintain the order set by the user.
>
> I think this needs to be addressed but it only will be if there is User
> support.  Your input is solicited.

Re: Fwd: Looking for support.

Duncan Lithgow-2
On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:34 -0500, Gerald Britton wrote:

> the database itself i.e. if I add an event that happens between two
> others I would want gramps to reorder the events to preserver
> chronological order.
But another user might have their events in a certain order for a good
reason. Perhaps all education milestones grouped together. They would
not want what you ask for. So while I think all reports should reproduce
the order as shown inside GRAMPS, your other point is a quite separate
one which I'm not so sure everyone would want.

Duncan

Re: Looking for support.

Duncan Lithgow-2
On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:23 -0500, Allan Topp wrote:
> I did file a bug report which, because the programme was performing "as
> designed", was dismissed.
>
> My posting was precipitated because of this.

Please give me a link to your bug so I can go and look.

Duncan

Re: Looking for support.

Duncan Lithgow-2
On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 17:13 -0500, Allan Topp wrote:
> http://bugs.gramps-project.org/view.php?id=956

Brian wrote:

"This has been resolved in SVN r8277 and will appear in Gramps 2.2.7

Events on the individual page are now in Database Order
Sources on the Sources Page are now in Alphabetical order by Title."

Duncan

Re: Looking for support.

Allan Topp
That is REALLY EXCELLENT news.   Thanks so much for your intervention
and assistance.

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 17:13 -0500, Allan Topp wrote:
>
>> http://bugs.gramps-project.org/view.php?id=956
>>

> Brian wrote:
>
> "This has been resolved in SVN r8277 and will appear in Gramps 2.2.7
>
> Events on the individual page are now in Database Order
> Sources on the Sources Page are now in Alphabetical order by Title."
>
> Duncan

Re: Looking for support.

Duncan Lithgow-2
On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 05:54 -0500, Allan Topp wrote:
> That is REALLY EXCELLENT news.   Thanks so much for your intervention
> and assistance.
Actually I didn't intervene at all, Brian must have just changed his
mind.

Either way we're all happy!

Duncan

Re: Looking for support.