Lost info

Trina Feliciano
When my computer shut down because of being unplugged too long, it affected my gramps program and it told me that it appeared someone else was editing my info and that it had to be locked.  Unlocking it would possibly cause files to be corrupted.  I knew no one was editing it but me, so I unlocked it.  Sadly to say, I lost about 200 years worth of ancestor research and input.  That is a lot of hours.  Is there any way to get back all that I lost?  Trina

Sent from my iPhone
NdK

Re: Lost info

NdK
Il 04/07/2017 07:59, Trina Feliciano ha scritto:

> When my computer shut down because of being unplugged too long, it affected my gramps program and it told me that it appeared someone else was editing my info and that it had to be locked.  Unlocking it would possibly cause files to be corrupted.  I knew no one was editing it but me, so I unlocked it.
Did you at least take a snapshot of the files before trying to unlock
the db?

>  Sadly to say, I lost about 200 years worth of ancestor research and input.  That is a lot of hours.  Is there any way to get back all that I lost?  Trina
Probably not, unless you have a backup.

That's exactly how most users learnt that backups are important. It's
good habit to export a .gramps file after every session (or even
multiple times during a very long session): it takes seconds but saves
hours. And it's better to keep handy the documents used for data entered
after the last backup.

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: Lost info

Gil da Costa
On 04/07/2017 08:53, NdK wrote:
> [...]
> That's exactly how most users learnt that backups are important. It's
> good habit to export a .gramps file after every session (or even
> multiple times during a very long session): it takes seconds but saves
> hours. And it's better to keep handy the documents used for data entered
> after the last backup.
> [...]

Making regular backups is fine but not enough: backup files should be
stored outside of the computer (external disk, DVD, USB stick,
cloud,...), in case your computer being damaged/lost/stolen.

G.Da Costa

Re: Lost info

You should have a look at this detailed section :

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree#I_have_backup_gbkp_files

Hope this can help.

Jérôme

 Objet: [Gramps-users] Lost info
 À: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Re: Lost info

Martnal
Trina, after 18 months of GRAMPS and a long IT career, I still consider myself very much a new user, but I want to echo Jerome's words and that link.  I have had similar events, and if you sit calmly and follow through the instructions, you could be in luck.  Take it slowly.

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).