Lost my notes

woody
I'm not sure what happened, but most of my notes disappeared.  I think maybe
it happened after I ran "Check and Repair".  Can anybody give me any idea
about what caused this and what I can do to prevent it in the future?

I'm running GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
Hi Woody

Please tell me you have a backup copy of your database!

I have never had a problem running the Check & Repair. But after every
session I create a backup and I make a backup before running any batch
tool.

Check & Repair does create a "Blank" record if something is deleted
before it is detached from a parent record. I deleted some place
records in error when I first started to clean my place database. The
event was still looking for the record. Check & Repair created a dummy
place record attached to the event that I then had to figure out what
was deleted. I never figured out what I did wrong as I assumed I was
merging records. I have had the same happen to a note record.

You have been hanging on here for a while. If it is a true 'failure'
its beyond my pay grade. Just wanted to offer my experience.

Dave

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what happened, but most of my notes disappeared.  I think maybe
> it happened after I ran "Check and Repair".  Can anybody give me any idea
> about what caused this and what I can do to prevent it in the future?
>
> I'm running GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Lost my notes

woody
Thanks for responding!  I did have some backups, but I still had to recreate
some notes.  Also, I couldn't find an easy way to restore just the notes to
my current file, so I had to transfer the notes manually, so it was a bit of
a hassle.

I still don't know why the notes were deleted.  When I ran the Check and
Repair, I think that I deleted some people who were unattached records.  I
don't know why that would have had any effect on the notes.  I have to tried
to get an understanding of the different types of notes (Person, General,
Research, etc.), but I can't find anything that documents what the
difference is among the different types of note.  In the future, I will make
more frequent backups, especially before I run any database utilities.

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
What you might try, take a backup and import it into a new test
database. in the note view, set the list with as many of the fields
visible as possible and then export the list to a CSV file. I don't
know of a report to do the same thing and I am not sure if the
exported CSV file will have the full note record.

Then run Check & Repair on this test database to see what happens. If
the C&R deletes notes again, you'll be able to identify which ones and
may see the pattern.

This may be an issue that needs a bug report. The challenge will be
telling the developers exactly what is happening and when.

This is the only other thing I can think of. Good luck.

Dave

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:32 PM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for responding!  I did have some backups, but I still had to recreate
> some notes.  Also, I couldn't find an easy way to restore just the notes to
> my current file, so I had to transfer the notes manually, so it was a bit of
> a hassle.
>
> I still don't know why the notes were deleted.  When I ran the Check and
> Repair, I think that I deleted some people who were unattached records.  I
> don't know why that would have had any effect on the notes.  I have to tried
> to get an understanding of the different types of notes (Person, General,
> Research, etc.), but I can't find anything that documents what the
> difference is among the different types of note.  In the future, I will make
> more frequent backups, especially before I run any database utilities.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Lost my notes

woody
Dave Scheipers wrote

> What you might try, take a backup and import it into a new test
> database. in the note view, set the list with as many of the fields
> visible as possible and then export the list to a CSV file. I don't
> know of a report to do the same thing and I am not sure if the
> exported CSV file will have the full note record.
>
> Then run Check & Repair on this test database to see what happens. If
> the C&R deletes notes again, you'll be able to identify which ones and
> may see the pattern.
>
> This may be an issue that needs a bug report. The challenge will be
> telling the developers exactly what is happening and when.
>
> This is the only other thing I can think of. Good luck.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:32 PM, woody &lt;

> gramps_bizmail@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Thanks for responding!  I did have some backups, but I still had to
>> recreate
>> some notes.  Also, I couldn't find an easy way to restore just the notes
>> my current file, so I had to transfer the notes manually, so it was a bit
>> of
>> a hassle.
>>
>> I still don't know why the notes were deleted.  When I ran the Check and
>> Repair, I think that I deleted some people who were unattached records.
>> don't know why that would have had any effect on the notes.  I have to
>> tried
>> to get an understanding of the different types of notes (Person, General,
>> Research, etc.), but I can't find anything that documents what the
>> difference is among the different types of note.  In the future, I will
>> make
>> more frequent backups, especially before I run any database utilities.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

That's a good idea.  I'll try that and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Re: Lost my notes

Hello Woody,

> I still don't know why the notes were deleted.  When I ran the Check and
> Repair, I think that I deleted some people who were unattached records.
When I run Check & Repair, the only thing that I can imagine Gramps
doing is to repair broken connections between objects, like people,
events, notes, places, relationships, sources, etc. It should never
delete anything, although it might turn some objects into orphans, but
that's not deleting at all.

In above quote, you also wrote that YOU deleted some people who were
unattached records, so in my mind, that's not Gramps deleting things,
but YOU.
> I don't know why that would have had any effect on the notes.
I don't know either, but I think that you did mention that you don't
remember what you did exactly, and I think that I CAN guess what you
did. That is, because in a nearby menu, there is a function that you can
use to remove orphan objects from your database. And when you delete
persons, Gramps only removes those from the person table, leaving all
other tables intact, so after you've done that, you will have orphan
events, notes, etc., and they will stay in the database.

Now, when you use that function, Gramps will give you a list of orphan
events, notes, etc., and you can select all objects that you want to be
removed. And once you have removed events, there may be orphan places
too, i.e. places that don't have any event pointing to them.

I know this, because I use this function whenever I want to weed out
some unproven parts of my tree that I imported from unsouced GEDCOMs
earlier, and this does remove notes, but still only when I select those
to be removed. In other words, this is still my action, and not Gramps
deleting things behind my back.

I have more that 30 years of experience as a software engineer, and in
most cases, I have found that it's users that don't really check what
they're doing, and think that they can live without backups. And when I
write software, I do make mistakes, so I know that something will go
wrong sometime. But check & repair deleting things automatically is not
part of the software's repertoire, not even when there is a bug in
there. It may leave you with loose connections, but that's all it can do.

Re: Lost my notes

woody
enno wrote

> Hello Woody,
>
>> I still don't know why the notes were deleted.  When I ran the Check and
>> Repair, I think that I deleted some people who were unattached records.
> When I run Check & Repair, the only thing that I can imagine Gramps
> doing is to repair broken connections between objects, like people,
> events, notes, places, relationships, sources, etc. It should never
> delete anything, although it might turn some objects into orphans, but
> that's not deleting at all.
>
> In above quote, you also wrote that YOU deleted some people who were
> unattached records, so in my mind, that's not Gramps deleting things,
> but YOU.
>> I don't know why that would have had any effect on the notes.
> I don't know either, but I think that you did mention that you don't
> remember what you did exactly, and I think that I CAN guess what you
> did. That is, because in a nearby menu, there is a function that you can
> use to remove orphan objects from your database. And when you delete
> persons, Gramps only removes those from the person table, leaving all
> other tables intact, so after you've done that, you will have orphan
> events, notes, etc., and they will stay in the database.
>
> Now, when you use that function, Gramps will give you a list of orphan
> events, notes, etc., and you can select all objects that you want to be
> removed. And once you have removed events, there may be orphan places
> too, i.e. places that don't have any event pointing to them.
>
> I know this, because I use this function whenever I want to weed out
> some unproven parts of my tree that I imported from unsouced GEDCOMs
> earlier, and this does remove notes, but still only when I select those
> to be removed. In other words, this is still my action, and not Gramps
> deleting things behind my back.
>
> I have more that 30 years of experience as a software engineer, and in
> most cases, I have found that it's users that don't really check what
> they're doing, and think that they can live without backups. And when I
> write software, I do make mistakes, so I know that something will go
> wrong sometime. But check & repair deleting things automatically is not
> part of the software's repertoire, not even when there is a bug in
> there. It may leave you with loose connections, but that's all it can do.
>
> Enno

You may be right about the way this happened.  So, what constitutes an
orphaned note?  As I mentioned, I can't find any documentation that lays out
how notes are treated by the application.  When I create  notes, I don't
explicitly connect them to a person, so I'm not sure in what way a note
would be "orphaned".  What's a general note or a research note, for example?
It's hard to know what not to do when you're dealing with a "black box".
Maybe there is some type of note that would be immune from becoming
orphaned.

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
Orphan items would be things that are not attached to anything else;
ie. their Reference Count = 0

Enno was speaking of the Tools >> Family Tree Repair >> Remove Unused Objects

A citation may be deleted from an event thus its Reference Count = 0
A note attached to that citation still has a Reference Count = 1
It's not until the citation is deleted that the note's Reference Count = 0

For this reason, you often have to use this tool several times to
delete the various layers of something you want to delete.

Dave

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:19 PM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> write software, I do make mistakes, so I know that something will go
>> wrong sometime. But check & repair deleting things automatically is not
>> part of the software's repertoire, not even when there is a bug in
>> there. It may leave you with loose connections, but that's all it can do.
>>
>> Enno

> You may be right about the way this happened.  So, what constitutes an
> orphaned note?  As I mentioned, I can't find any documentation that lays out
> how notes are treated by the application.  When I create  notes, I don't
> explicitly connect them to a person, so I'm not sure in what way a note
> would be "orphaned".  What's a general note or a research note, for example?
> It's hard to know what not to do when you're dealing with a "black box".
> Maybe there is some type of note that would be immune from becoming

An object is 'orphaned' if it is not attached to anything.  With the exception of People.  So if you create a note, but not as an attachment to a person, citation source etc. it is an orphan.  These are deleted if you run 'Tools/Family Tree Repair/Remove Unused Objects'

Paul C.

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:
enno wrote
> [...]
> write software, I do make mistakes, so I know that something will go
> wrong sometime. But check & repair deleting things automatically is not
> part of the software's repertoire, not even when there is a bug in
> there. It may leave you with loose connections, but that's all it can do.
>
> Enno

You may be right about the way this happened.  So, what constitutes an
orphaned note?  As I mentioned, I can't find any documentation that lays out
how notes are treated by the application.  When I create  notes, I don't
explicitly connect them to a person, so I'm not sure in what way a note
would be "orphaned".  What's a general note or a research note, for example?
It's hard to know what not to do when you're dealing with a "black box".
Maybe there is some type of note that would be immune from becoming

Hmm.. that seems counter intuitive.  So, it's not possible to create a
stand-alone note that can exist without being associated with a specific
person?  What is a "general" note vs. a "person" note?  What is a "research"
note?  Does the program logic expect all of these to be associated with a
person or else will consider them to be orphaned?

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
You CAN create a note that is not attached to anything.

Go to Notes view. Edit >> Add   or the Plus sign (+)

But what would be the purpose?

Do not worry about "research" note, person note or general note. A
note is a note and can be attached to virtually everything. And the
same note can be attached to more than one item, even items that are
very different; person, event, media, citation, etc. The terms are
just how any one person treats any given note. Gramps does not care.
Gramps only cares if a note is attached to something else. Whatever it
is attached to shows up in its Reference gramplet.

The only note that does not have a Reference entry but is in fact
attached are notes used by the ToDo gramplet. The  Remove Unused
Objects tools knows not to delete these notes in its processing.

Dave

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:35 PM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm.. that seems counter intuitive.  So, it's not possible to create a
> stand-alone note that can exist without being associated with a specific
> person?  What is a "general" note vs. a "person" note?  What is a "research"
> note?  Does the program logic expect all of these to be associated with a
> person or else will consider them to be orphaned?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Lost my notes

paul womack
Paul Culley wrote:
> An object is 'orphaned' if it is not attached to anything.  With the exception of People.  So if you create a note, but not as an attachment to a person, citation source etc. it is an orphan.  These are deleted if you run 'Tools/Family Tree Repair/Remove Unused Objects'

I have a pseudo-person in my database called Holder.

If I just want to keep stuff "hanging around", I attach it to Holder.
This helps me find it, and also stops it being an Orphan. I typically
have general reference material (e.g. maps) hooked in like this.

  BugBear

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
Mine is called 'Anchor' and he has the ID I0000. His given name is "Do
Not Delete"

He holds my notes and cartoon media that I use when I create a
Narrated Web report. As well as odd ball items I don't want to search
too hard for.

What is it they say about great minds...

Dave

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 5:00 AM, paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul Culley wrote:
>>
>> An object is 'orphaned' if it is not attached to anything.  With the
>> exception of People.  So if you create a note, but not as an attachment to a
>> person, citation source etc. it is an orphan.  These are deleted if you run
>> 'Tools/Family Tree Repair/Remove Unused Objects'
>

> I have a pseudo-person in my database called Holder.
>
> If I just want to keep stuff "hanging around", I attach it to Holder.
> This helps me find it, and also stops it being an Orphan. I typically
> have general reference material (e.g. maps) hooked in like this.
>
>  BugBear

Re: Lost my notes

woody
Dave Scheipers wrote

> You CAN create a note that is not attached to anything.
>
> Go to Notes view. Edit >> Add   or the Plus sign (+)
>
> But what would be the purpose?
>
> Do not worry about "research" note, person note or general note. A
> note is a note and can be attached to virtually everything. And the
> same note can be attached to more than one item, even items that are
> very different; person, event, media, citation, etc. The terms are
> just how any one person treats any given note. Gramps does not care.
> Gramps only cares if a note is attached to something else. Whatever it
> is attached to shows up in its Reference gramplet.
>
> The only note that does not have a Reference entry but is in fact
> attached are notes used by the ToDo gramplet. The  Remove Unused
> Objects tools knows not to delete these notes in its processing.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:35 PM, woody &lt;

> gramps_bizmail@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hmm.. that seems counter intuitive.  So, it's not possible to create a
>> stand-alone note that can exist without being associated with a specific
>> person?  What is a "general" note vs. a "person" note?  What is a
>> "research"
>> note?  Does the program logic expect all of these to be associated with a
>> person or else will consider them to be orphaned?
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Well, I use notes to keep track of things that I'm researching, to remind me
where to resume something I'm working on, to keep track of things I want to
remember, etc.  My notes are basically memoranda.  I typically create a note
using the "Plus +" button.  Using notes this way seems pretty useful to me,
but maybe other people don't do this.

As far as using the Add-On gramphlet, is that part of the Add-On Reports
plugin or something else?  I see that I can set a note to an add-on type,
but I'm guessing that's not what you're talking about.  What plug-in do I
need to use to get the Add-On gramphlet.

Otherwise, is there some other way to keep project notes within the
application, or should I just give up and keep my notes elsewhere?

Re: Lost my notes

paul womack
woody wrote:

> Well, I use notes to keep track of things that I'm researching, to remind me
> where to resume something I'm working on, to keep track of things I want to
> remember, etc.

Do the notes apply to a particular family, person, place,
or your entire database?

> My notes are basically memoranda.  I typically create a note
> using the "Plus +" button.  Using notes this way seems pretty useful to me,
> but maybe other people don't do this.

I normally place notes on the entity they apply to.

> As far as using the Add-On gramphlet, is that part of the Add-On Reports
> plugin or something else?  I see that I can set a note to an add-on type,
> but I'm guessing that's not what you're talking about.  What plug-in do I
> need to use to get the Add-On gramphlet.
>
> Otherwise, is there some other way to keep project notes within the
> application, or should I just give up and keep my notes elsewhere?

If you genuinely want "global" notes, just make a note-holder person,
and hold the notes against that. I strongly recommend keeping everything
in one place, if only to ensure that your backup strategy is robust.

  BugBear

Re: Lost my notes

woody
OK, I'm convinced.  Sounds like the best practice is to keep these notes
outside of the application.  Thanks to everybody for your assistance!

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
No, you do not have to keep them outside Gramps.

I have the "To Do" gramplet/addon active on the dashboard, You can
have multiple notes in it to keep track of various things you're doing

Dave

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I'm convinced.  Sounds like the best practice is to keep these notes
> outside of the application.  Thanks to everybody for your assistance!
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Lost my notes

Is "To Do" data stored in the database (and more importantly) backed up and
restored with it?

On 11/09/2017 10:18 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> No, you do not have to keep them outside Gramps.
>
> I have the "To Do" gramplet/addon active on the dashboard, You can
> have multiple notes in it to keep track of various things you're doing
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> OK, I'm convinced.  Sounds like the best practice is to keep these notes
>> outside of the application.  Thanks to everybody for your assistance!

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
The notes in the To Do gramplet are regular Gramps notes with the Type
"To Do" so they backup and restore just like a regular note.

The one anomaly with these notes is that in the note's References tab,
even though they are attached to the To Do gramplet, nothing is
listed. The "Remove Unused Objects" tool used to select them for
deletion. That has been fixed. I use custom filters in each of the
areas to delete no longer need items so I do have these To Do notes
attached to my "Do Not delete Anchor" catch all person to protect them
from showing up in my filter.

I hope this helps, Dave

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is "To Do" data stored in the database (and more importantly) backed up and
> restored with it?
>
> On 11/09/2017 10:18 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> No, you do not have to keep them outside Gramps.
>>
>> I have the "To Do" gramplet/addon active on the dashboard, You can
>> have multiple notes in it to keep track of various things you're doing
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM, woody <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, I'm convinced.  Sounds like the best practice is to keep these notes
>>> outside of the application.  Thanks to everybody for your assistance!
>

> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Re: Lost my notes

Doug-11
On 09/11/17 00:10, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> You CAN create a note that is not attached to anything.
>
> Go to Notes view. Edit >> Add   or the Plus sign (+)
>
> But what would be the purpose?
>
> Do not worry about "research" note, person note or general note. A
> note is a note and can be attached to virtually everything. And the
> same note can be attached to more than one item, even items that are
> very different; person, event, media, citation, etc. The terms are
> just how any one person treats any given note. Gramps does not care.
> Gramps only cares if a note is attached to something else. Whatever it
> is attached to shows up in its Reference gramplet.
>
> The only note that does not have a Reference entry but is in fact
> attached are notes used by the ToDo gramplet. The  Remove Unused
> Objects tools knows not to delete these notes in its processing.
>
> Dave

<snip>

Unattached notes are OK and shouldn't get lost if you're not
using Remove Unused Objects or Check and Repair.
But they won't appear in the Narrated Web report (and
possibly other reports?) unless they're attached  - as far
as I know, to a person. Is that still true after gramps
4.2.5? Could someone comment?

Doug