Lost my notes

Re: Lost my notes

Dave Scheipers
The notes for the Narrated Web report I was talking about are the ones
that can be used for the header and footer, introduction contact pages
etc. These notes get attached in the Narrated Web's dialog  screen.
Pictures can also be attached to the web report itself. I will often
attach genealogy based comics.

I have a Person Record named "Anchor, Do Not Delete' that 'holds'
these notes and media so they do not get deleted.  I do not use the
"Remove Unused Objects" tool. It does not include Citations. I have a
filter for each area that looks for Reference Count = 0. At least once
a week I run these filters on Events, Citations, and Notes... in that
order, to clear things I have recently deleted from records as I clean
and document, Doing it often helps me remember why these items are
getting deleted.

To Do notes do not get flag for deletion by the "Remove Unused
Objects" tool. They will show up in filters above. That is why I also
attach To Do notes to my Anchor person.

I hope this helps explain what I do, Dave

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 5:46 AM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/11/17 00:10, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> You CAN create a note that is not attached to anything.
>>
>> Go to Notes view. Edit >> Add   or the Plus sign (+)
>>
>> But what would be the purpose?
>>
>> Do not worry about "research" note, person note or general note. A
>> note is a note and can be attached to virtually everything. And the
>> same note can be attached to more than one item, even items that are
>> very different; person, event, media, citation, etc. The terms are
>> just how any one person treats any given note. Gramps does not care.
>> Gramps only cares if a note is attached to something else. Whatever it
>> is attached to shows up in its Reference gramplet.
>>
>> The only note that does not have a Reference entry but is in fact
>> attached are notes used by the ToDo gramplet. The  Remove Unused
>> Objects tools knows not to delete these notes in its processing.
>>
>> Dave
>>
> <snip>
>
> Unattached notes are OK and shouldn't get lost if you're not using Remove
> Unused Objects or Check and Repair.
> But they won't appear in the Narrated Web report (and possibly other
> reports?) unless they're attached  - as far as I know, to a person. Is that
> still true after gramps 4.2.5? Could someone comment?
>
> Doug

Re: Lost my notes

Doug-11
On 09/11/17 14:02, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Mine is called 'Anchor' and he has the ID I0000. His given name is "Do
> Not Delete"
>
> He holds my notes and cartoon media that I use when I create a
> Narrated Web report. As well as odd ball items I don't want to search
> too hard for.
>
> What is it they say about great minds...
>
> Dave

Mine are called "SURNAME XXX", "SURNAME YYY", "SURNAME ZZZ"
for general notes relating to various family surnames.
Their given names are subjects like "Durham Ancestors",
"Migration", "Mining" and so on.
I stick media, maps, links, etc. onto the appropriate
pseudo-person.

Doug