MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Steven Stichter
Apple just released the newest version of its operating system, which will only run 64-bit applications. My systems scan tells me that the MacOS version of GRAMPS that I’m using is 32-bit, so will not run on this update.

Is a 64-bit compiled version of GRAMPS available for download from an official GRAMPS download site?

Thanks,
Steven

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Tony Hacche
Steven,

> For whatever reason the Mac system report listed GRAMPS type as
> 32-bit.

That's odd. I'm running MacOS 10.14.6 and it reports Gramps is 64-bit ...

  Version: Gramps-5.1.1-1
  Obtained from: Identified Developer
  Last Modified: 15/09/2019, 01:12
  Kind: Intel
  64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Tony

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Patrick Gerlier

In fact, Gramps is neither 32 ou 64-bit. It is written in Python which is an interpreted language. For performance reason, first time a Python application is run, it is "compiled" and cached. This cache may be 32- or 64-bit but it does not really matter.

The important factor is Python itself and its library. It must be 64-bit to continue to run on the newer OS. I hope that OS upgrade will also upgrade all ancilary engines, like Python, Perl and others. Any just download the next Gramps version. This will clear the caches and all should be fine.

Patrick

Le 09/10/2019 à 08:25, Tony Hacche a écrit :
Steven,

For whatever reason the Mac system report listed GRAMPS type as
32-bit.
That's odd. I'm running MacOS 10.14.6 and it reports Gramps is 64-bit ...

  Version:		Gramps-5.1.1-1
  Obtained from:	Identified Developer
  Last Modified:	15/09/2019, 01:12
  Kind:			Intel
  64-Bit (Intel):	Yes

Tony

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Tony Hacche
Patrick,

> The important factor is Python itself and its library. It must be
> 64-bit to continue to run on the newer OS. I hope that OS upgrade
> will also upgrade all ancilary engines, like Python, Perl and
> others.

Looks like Python distributed with MacOS is already 64-bit :-)

Python:

  Version: 2.7.10
  Obtained from: Apple
  Last Modified: 23/02/2019, 05:57
  Kind: Intel
  64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Tony

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Nick Hall
On 09/10/2019 09:48, Tony Hacche wrote:
> Looks like Python distributed with MacOS is already 64-bit:-)
>
> Python:
>
>    Version: 2.7.10
>    Obtained from: Apple
>    Last Modified: 23/02/2019, 05:57
>    Kind: Intel
>    64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Version 5.1 requires python 3.3 or above.  What version of Gramps are
you using?

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Tony Hacche
Nick,

> Version 5.1 requires python 3.3 or above.  What version of Gramps
> are you using?

5.1.1-1

I thought the Mac distribution was pre-compiled (if that's the correct terminology)?

Tony