MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Steven Stichter
Apple just released the newest version of its operating system, which will only run 64-bit applications. My systems scan tells me that the MacOS version of GRAMPS that I’m using is 32-bit, so will not run on this update.

Is a 64-bit compiled version of GRAMPS available for download from an official GRAMPS download site?

Thanks,
Steven

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Tony Hacche
Steven,

> For whatever reason the Mac system report listed GRAMPS type as
> 32-bit.

That's odd. I'm running MacOS 10.14.6 and it reports Gramps is 64-bit ...

  Version: Gramps-5.1.1-1
  Obtained from: Identified Developer
  Last Modified: 15/09/2019, 01:12
  Kind: Intel
  64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Tony

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Patrick Gerlier

In fact, Gramps is neither 32 ou 64-bit. It is written in Python which is an interpreted language. For performance reason, first time a Python application is run, it is "compiled" and cached. This cache may be 32- or 64-bit but it does not really matter.

The important factor is Python itself and its library. It must be 64-bit to continue to run on the newer OS. I hope that OS upgrade will also upgrade all ancilary engines, like Python, Perl and others. Any just download the next Gramps version. This will clear the caches and all should be fine.

Patrick

Le 09/10/2019 à 08:25, Tony Hacche a écrit :
Steven,

For whatever reason the Mac system report listed GRAMPS type as
32-bit.
That's odd. I'm running MacOS 10.14.6 and it reports Gramps is 64-bit ...

  Version:		Gramps-5.1.1-1
  Obtained from:	Identified Developer
  Last Modified:	15/09/2019, 01:12
  Kind:			Intel
  64-Bit (Intel):	Yes

Tony

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Tony Hacche
Patrick,

> The important factor is Python itself and its library. It must be
> 64-bit to continue to run on the newer OS. I hope that OS upgrade
> will also upgrade all ancilary engines, like Python, Perl and
> others.

Looks like Python distributed with MacOS is already 64-bit :-)

Python:

  Version: 2.7.10
  Obtained from: Apple
  Last Modified: 23/02/2019, 05:57
  Kind: Intel
  64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Tony

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Nick Hall
On 09/10/2019 09:48, Tony Hacche wrote:
> Looks like Python distributed with MacOS is already 64-bit:-)
>
> Python:
>
>    Version: 2.7.10
>    Obtained from: Apple
>    Last Modified: 23/02/2019, 05:57
>    Kind: Intel
>    64-Bit (Intel): Yes

Version 5.1 requires python 3.3 or above.  What version of Gramps are
you using?

Re: MacOS Catalina -- requires 64-bit applications

Tony Hacche
Nick,

> Version 5.1 requires python 3.3 or above.  What version of Gramps
> are you using?

5.1.1-1

I thought the Mac distribution was pre-compiled (if that's the correct terminology)?

Tony

Bug Tracker where have my bug reports gone?

Usually when I look at the Gramps Bug Tracker page and select My View

I get a section which details those bug reports raised by me.

That section is no longer showing. Have I annoyed someone ?

George Baynes

Re: Bug Tracker where have my bug reports gone?

Dave Scheipers
Same with mine.

To filter the main view list by reporter, there are no reporters
available in the filter options.

I did check one of my reports and it had me and my additional notes.
So we are still in the system.

Dave

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:59 PM george via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Usually when I look at the Gramps Bug Tracker page and select My View
>
> I get a section which details those bug reports raised by me.
>
> That section is no longer showing. Have I annoyed someone ?
>
> George Baynes

Re: Bug Tracker where have my bug reports gon

GRAMPS - User mailing list
The pop-up menu was overloaded with more users than could be scrolled through. (Still scrolling in the 'b's when my finger got a cramp!) Those menus stopped be usable for anything other than the [myself] and [any] settings.

I think the users menus (not the accounts) must have been purged during the process of working on slimming it down to just active users. Or maybe there's another add-on being added that will help.

-Brian

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 16:17, Dave Scheipers

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Usually when I look at the Gramps Bug Tracker page and select My View
>
> I get a section which details those bug reports raised by me.
>
> That section is no longer showing. Have I annoyed someone ?
>
> George Baynes

Re: Bug Tracker where have my bug reports gon

GRAMPS - User mailing list
The menus are populated again for me. Are they working for you?

-Brian

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 16:40, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users