Maiden name

KimFella
How do I make the People view display surname + maiden name in brackets?

So far I have been simply typing the surname as (e.g.) "Bell (Blenkinsopp)".

I do have a 'multiple names' name of Blenkinsopp for her, but I can't set this as a 'Type' Married name, as 'Type' seems to apply to the person, not to the name. Changing type for one of the multiple names for this person changes it for all multiple names for her.

I don't want to add another column in the display if I can avoid it.

Is there something like:
IF Gender = female
  IF Married=true
      THEN Surname = Surname of Spouse + "("+ Surname of {Multiple Name = Birth Name}+")"
ELSE ...just show the surname as it is.

NOT that I want to be writing code for displays.  Maybe ok when I need to generate a report.  (haven't even begun to look at reports yet.)

The 'Multiple Names' doesn't seem to have 'Type's or 'Attributes'

If there is a simple way to do this, I'd also like to display the nickname, in quotes, e.g. ...  Bell (Blenkinsopp), Helen Elizabeth "Torchy" "Bette"

Re: Maiden name

Tom Samstag
In the person editor, you can switch to the "Names" tab to add additional names, each with a type.
This lets you record peoples' names as their birth names, but also add additional names of "Married
Name" type. These additional names can even have a date range and source citations associated with them.

On 2016-02-15 13:42, KimFella wrote:
> How do I make the People view display surname + maiden name in brackets?
>
> So far I have been simply typing the surname as (e.g.) "Bell (Blenkinsopp)".
>
> I do have a 'multiple names' name of Blenkinsopp for her, but I can't set
> this as a 'Type' Married name, as 'Type' seems to apply to the person, not
> to the name. Changing type for one of the multiple names for this person
> changes it for all multiple names for her.
>
> I don't want to add another column in the display if I can avoid it.
>
> Is there something like:
> IF Gender = female
>    IF Married=true
>        THEN Surname = Surname of Spouse + "("+ Surname of {Multiple Name =
> Birth Name}+")"
> ELSE ...just show the surname as it is.
>
> NOT that I want to be writing code for displays.  Maybe ok when I need to
> generate a report.  (haven't even begun to look at reports yet.)
>
> The 'Multiple Names' doesn't seem to have 'Type's or 'Attributes'
>
> If there is a simple way to do this, I'd also like to display the nickname,
> in quotes, e.g. ...  Bell (Blenkinsopp), Helen Elizabeth "Torchy" "Bette"

Thanks Tom.

Yup. Nope.  Initially I didn't see the 'Names' column down at the bottom of the screen, but on reading your reply I saw it.  However even when I select 'Blenkinsopp' (which is NOT the 'preferred name) then edit the 'Type' it still changes the Type for the preferred name.  I did discover that I can add "Maiden Name" to the list of name types.  However, now both names, Bell and Blenkinsopp, are of Type "Maiden Name"

I did see a reference to changing the format in 'Preferences' and tried that.  It was very intuitive. NOT!  However, after some playing around I did get it to display      Bell (Blenkinsopp), Helen "Torchy"
But that change in preferences didn't change anyone else's display.  And I was unable to switch the 'Preferred' name button from one person's birth name to her Maiden Name (and my added "Maiden Name" Type didn't get added to the pick list.  Apparently I have to type it in each time, or choose the provided "Birth Name".

Re: Maiden name

KimFella
Oops, I meant switch preferred name button to 'Married' name.

(I tried the 'Edit' button for the above post, but got flipped to a screen with some code on it ... no post to edit.  Oh well.)

KimFella wrote
  And I was unable to switch the 'Preferred' name button from one person's birth name to her Maiden Name (and my added "Maiden Name" Type didn't get added to the pick list.  Apparently I have to type it in each time, or choose the provided "Birth Name".

Re: Maiden name

John Paton
Surely in most cases Birth Name and Maiden Name are synonymous. So only
in those cases where they are NOT synonymous is there a need to
distinguish between them. The only situation I have come across is where
a girl is adopted before she is married and therefore the 'Maiden Name"
on the marriage record does not match the "Birth Name" on the Birth
Record. In such a case the term "Maiden Name" is easily replaced by
"Adopted Name" which does appear on the drop down list.

John Paton

Re: Maiden name

John Paton
This is how it works for me.

Open the person in the person editor.

Click the Names tab.

Right click on the name you wish to have as the preferred name and
select "Set as Default Name" from the menu. The name you have set as
default and the present Preferred Name will change places and as far as
I can see you can do this as often as you like.

John Paton

Re: Maiden name

KimFella
Yeah.  It's just that I'm used to the term 'Maiden Name'.  So not really a problem.

But I'm also using Gramps for a fictional genealogy for a fan fiction site, and I may need to have, e.g. "Monster Club Name" and "Loyal Order of the Moose Name" etc.  That will get tedious if I have to key it in each time.  Again, not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.  Do you know if there is somewhere/some way I can edit the table of name types directly, and just add the ones I want?

John Paton wrote
Surely in most cases Birth Name and Maiden Name are synonymous. So only
in those cases where they are NOT synonymous is there a need to
distinguish between them. The only situation I have come across is where
a girl is adopted before she is married and therefore the 'Maiden Name"
on the marriage record does not match the "Birth Name" on the Birth
Record. In such a case the term "Maiden Name" is easily replaced by
"Adopted Name" which does appear on the drop down list.

John Paton

Re: Maiden name

KimFella
Thank you John.  Right-click.  I don't have GRAMPS running right now but I'll have to try this later today.

Do you know if there is anyway around having the Name Type changing for all names when you change it for one? So Helen (Blenkinsopp) Bell can have one Married Name and one Birth Name (or Maiden Name  ) instead of two of only one Type?  Hmmm.  I wonder if this another right-click thing.

John Paton wrote
This is how it works for me.

Open the person in the person editor.

Click the Names tab.

Right click on the name you wish to have as the preferred name and
select "Set as Default Name" from the menu. The name you have set as
default and the present Preferred Name will change places and as far as
I can see you can do this as often as you like.

John Paton

Re: Maiden name

KimFella
KimFella wrote

> Is there something like:
> IF Gender = female
>    IF Married=true
>        THEN Surname = Surname of Spouse + "("+ Surname of {Multiple Name =
> Birth Name}+")"
> ELSE ...just show the surname as it is.

KimFella wrote
I did see a reference to changing the format in 'Preferences' and tried that.  It was very intuitive. NOT!  However, after some playing around I did get it to display      Bell (Blenkinsopp), Helen "Torchy"
But that change in preferences didn't change anyone else's display.  And I was unable to switch the 'Preferred' name button from one person's birth name to her Maiden Name (and my added "Maiden Name" Type didn't get added to the pick list.  Apparently I have to type it in each time, or choose the provided "Birth Name".
I think the Preferences change I made is only going to work properly when there are only the two names for a person, and it will display that way regardless of what type the non-preferred name is, and regardless of the person's gender.  So little Jimmy Jones, who was adopted by the Smiths, and later legally changed his name to Wilson, might show as
Wilson (Smith), (Jones), Jimmy
confusing all who see that.

The Preferences edit display name screen shows several words GRAMPS recognizes (Surname, SURNAME, [sur], etc.) but it doesn't show anything for Type.  Is there a complete list somewhere that I can access? What is the 'Type' attribute called? Can I create a new display format something like

Surname (Type=Birth Name[sur]), Given
?

As I said above I don't really want to have write code (and learn Python to do it), if I can edit pick lists.

Re: Maiden name

KimFella
OK I think I see what is happening: The top half of the screen is the preferred name.  The bottom half, with the multiple names, DOES show different Types for the two names.

Thanks.  The right-click trick does it.

Now that I have
Primary[sur] (NotPatronymic), Given "Nickname"

as my Preference >Display> Name format it still doesn't show (in this case)
Vanorman (Beattie), Delilah
(and she doesn't have a nickname)

OK now I see.  Some how for Helen Bell, where the display shows what I want, I've got too many names.  In the Multiple Surnames I have one for Bell and one for Blenkinsopp, but in the Names list in the bottom portion I have "Bell (Blenkinsopp)", i.e. the maiden name and the brackets keyed in, and THAT is what is displaying, not the '(NotPatronymic)' part of the display preference.  Aarg! Just when I thought I was getting somewhere.  Plus somewhere I did see that that is not what the Multiple Surnames part is for.  That is for surnames that are made up of components, such as "Juan Pedro Pablo de la Mar" and "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt".  Fortunately it is still a small database so it shouldn't be too onerous to go back and correct the Multiple Names part.

I guess I still need to work on the Preferences to see what I need to replace the NotPatronymic part.

John Paton wrote
This is how it works for me.

Open the person in the person editor.

Click the Names tab.

Right click on the name you wish to have as the preferred name and
select "Set as Default Name" from the menu. The name you have set as
default and the present Preferred Name will change places and as far as
I can see you can do this as often as you like.

John Paton

Re: Maiden name

Suncatcher
KimFella wrote
> Yeah.  It's just that I'm used to the term 'Maiden Name'.  So not really a
> problem.

Support this. I am also more get used to Maiden name than to Birth name,
also I don't like Russian locale name types: "Фамилия при рождении" and
"Фамилия в браке". It's not typical to say like this, "Девичья фамилия" is
more get used to.
Where is the settings file I can edit to change those titles in all dropdown
boxs and all reports?

Re: Maiden name

prculley
Translations are not in a 'settings' type file that can be easily changed by the user.  They are in a set of files with the extension '.po' and '.mo' that are part of your Gramps installation.  The '.po' contains the language specific human readable (somewhat readable) translation for individual languages. The '.mo' files are compiled, machine readable, and used by the program to display the text.

If you want to look into making changes to make your language more user friendly, see https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_Gramps which explains in some detail how to go about doing so.  You can do some of the steps to make changes for your personal use, and/or publish the updated translation

Paul C.

KimFella wrote