Mail list re-subscribe problem

GRAMPS - User mailing list

A former subscriber to:
has contacted me directly. (They found my address in the archived Thread about when the Domain was down.) That person has been unable to re-subscribe. They note that the eMail account previously associated is inaccessible.

I'm inclined towards suggesting that they set up an unsoiled online account.

Is there a contact for a mail-list administrator that can help the user flush the old account?

Please eMail me directly.  It seems like sharing that contact wholesale would undermine the mail-list.

Brian

Re: Mail list re-subscribe problem

Tom Hughes
On 10/02/2019 20:15, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> A former subscriber to:
>    [hidden email]
> has contacted me directly. (They found my address in the archived Thread
> about when the Domain was down.) That person has been unable to
> re-subscribe. They note that the eMail account previously associated is
> inaccessible.

Why would they want to resubscribe with an address they no longer
have access to?

Surely if they have changed their address they should subscribe with
the new address, and the old subscription won't matter?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Mail list re-subscribe problem

Peter Flynn
On 10/02/2019 22:26, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 10/02/2019 20:15, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
>
>> A former subscriber to:
>>    [hidden email]
>> has contacted me directly. (They found my address in the archived
>> Thread about when the Domain was down.) That person has been unable to
>> re-subscribe. They note that the eMail account previously associated
>> is inaccessible.
>
> Why would they want to resubscribe with an address they no longer
> have access to?
>
> Surely if they have changed their address they should subscribe with
> the new address, and the old subscription won't matter?

I think the user may have assumed there would be a way to gain access to
the old (ie existing) subscription record and change its address to
their new email address. This is a common misunderstanding among email
list users.

If an address becomes inaccessible (ie list mail bounces because the
address had been deleted from the ISP's system) then a mailing list will
usually delete the entry after a certain number of failures, so it's
possible that the record has already gone anyway.

Ultimately, the sourceforge system admins do of course have access to
the data and could physically delete the record, but for legal reasons
they would need a very rigorous identity confirmation and I have no idea
if that is in place or not.

Re: Mail list re-subscribe problem

GRAMPS - User mailing list
His problem was similar. The Yahoo! acquisition by Oath! came with changes that make it more complex to access with 3rd party eMail clients. So he switched to another provider.

Sam made a good suggestion (which has been passed along) to use Yahoo!s Webmail interface for just long enough to update the eMail account associated with the mailing-list.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 17:15, Peter Flynn