Managing multi-pages documents

Simon C. Tremblay
Not really a problem, but I was wondering how you guys are managing multi-pages document.

I scanned a 6 pages document at the archive. Now I could create Source and a citation for it and then attach each images as media for the citation.

Or sometimes what I do is put the numbered pages in a zip file and change the extension to cbz. I then use SumatraPDF to view that "comic book" document.  As an extra step, SumatraPDF can save the cbz as a pdf that can be viewed and annotated with any other PDF viewer.

The cbz or the pdf file can be attached as media to the citation, but there's no preview for them in Gramps.

What's your way to handle this type of images?
Do you prefer attaching a PDF or multiple images to the citation?
Once converted to cbz/pdf, would you keep the original images? (They can be easily extracted from the cbz which is just a zip file.  It's doable from a pdf, but a bit more involved)

A friend of mine was commenting that the cbz was not a widely used format so it might not be practical if I want to share my files.

Simon

Re: Managing multi-pages documents

Ron Johnson

For me, the document is the Source, and each page is a Citation, with the
relevant image attached to each Citation..

But occasionally, as with an old passport, the document is *really*
"coupled", so I attach the individual images to the Source.

On 12/05/2017 10:04 PM, Simon C. Tremblay wrote:

> Not really a problem, but I was wondering how you guys are managing
> multi-pages document.
>
> I scanned a 6 pages document at the archive. Now I could create Source and
> a citation for it and then attach each images as media for the citation.
>
> Or sometimes what I do is put the numbered pages in a zip file and change
> the extension to cbz. I then use SumatraPDF to view that "comic book"
> document.  As an extra step, SumatraPDF can save the cbz as a pdf that can
> be viewed and annotated with any other PDF viewer.
>
> The cbz or the pdf file can be attached as media to the citation, but
> there's no preview for them in Gramps.
>
> What's your way to handle this type of images?
> Do you prefer attaching a PDF or multiple images to the citation?
> Once converted to cbz/pdf, would you keep the original images? (They can
> be easily extracted from the cbz which is just a zip file.  It's doable
> from a pdf, but a bit more involved)
>
> A friend of mine was commenting that the cbz was not a widely used format
> so it might not be practical if I want to share my files.

Re: Managing multi-pages documents

Dave Scheipers
You can attach more than one image to a citation. You just need to
reflect that in the Volume/Page field. For six pages I would leave
them as individual images and not join them as a PDF file. If these
six pages is the entire document then I would put them on the source
and not the citation. And maybe joining them into one PDF would be
best. Depends on if this document will be cited by other
people/events.

Using Ron's passport example, I too have some old passports I have
scanned and outputted as PDF's. I have a generic Source "Passport" and
the citation has the particulars... date span... country and other
identifying info in the col/Page field. The PDF is attached to the
citation.

My mother's family for the most part arrived in America during its
colonial times so there are many books that have been published and
now available from google books as PDF's. I attach these pdf's to the
source record with the repository google books (archive.org is another
good source). For the citation, I put Page:## (pdf:##) .... the Page
## of the book and the pdf page number to get to that page.

I have found published books in multi volume sets. Be careful having
one source with all these volumes under it. I sent a small genealogy
to a relative that referenced only one volume of a 12 volume set. All
12 were on the source so she got all 12 instead of just the volume she
would need or want. I split the source to one source per volume and
then altered the citations putting them on the correct volume source
and altered the Vol/Page field to reflect these changes. It was a lot
of work.

We each settle on what works for ourselves. This is what I do, Dave