Quantcast

Manual in ePub format

Bo Rosén
Hi,
I was wondering how much trouble it would be to generate the manual as
an ePub as well as a PDF for reading on devices with smaller screens?
Any chance of this happening at some point?

Cheers,
Bo

Re: Manual in ePub format

Colin Reynolds
On 30/11/11 03:30 AM, Bo Rosén wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering how much trouble it would be to generate the manual as
> an ePub as well as a PDF for reading on devices with smaller screens?
> Any chance of this happening at some point?

Bo,

I just ran the .pdf through Calibre and converted it to ePub. I did not
check for errors but it seems to be fine so this is effectively a do it
yourself project.

Calibre is a free ebook handling programme available on most OS.

Colin

Re: Manual in ePub format

Bo Rosén
2011-11-30 16:45, Colin Reynolds skrev:

> Bo,
>
> I just ran the .pdf through Calibre and converted it to ePub. I did not
> check for errors but it seems to be fine so this is effectively a do it
> yourself project.
>
> Calibre is a free ebook handling programme available on most OS.
>
> Colin

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that too earlier and it didn't
turn out all that well for me. I don't have it here, but I think
especially boxed text got mixed into the main text for a rather
confusing read ;)

There may be some semi-arcane tricks to conversion I don't know about
though, likely as I've never really tried this before.

(I did see that Mediawiki has an export to epub extension...)

Cheers,
Bo

Re: Manual in ePub format

Colin Reynolds
Hi Bo

On 30/11/11 09:16 AM, Bo Rosén wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that too earlier and it didn't
> turn out all that well for me. I don't have it here, but I think
> especially boxed text got mixed into the main text for a rather
> confusing read ;)
>
> There may be some semi-arcane tricks to conversion I don't know about
> though, likely as I've never really tried this before.
>
> (I did see that Mediawiki has an export to epub extension...)

I took a little more time to look at my conversion and found that,
indeed, it was not much use. In my case all the internal links appeared
to fail.

Persevering I tried an on line conversion service I have used in the
past which came back with

There was a problem converting your file - We attempted to perform the
conversion you requested from *pdf* to *epub* but unfortunately the
conversion failed - our support team have been notified and are looking
into the problem.
Please click here <http://www.zamzar.com> if you would like to try and
perform your conversion again. Conversion failed for the following file:

*GRAMPS_3_3_Prince.pdf*

So it would seem that there is more to this than meets the eye!

Colin.

Re: Manual in ePub format

Bugzilla from melsonr@earthlink.net
All indications are that .epub is still in Alpha, which
leads to the question why you want to convert from a
stable .pdf format to an unstable .epub format.  As
somebody famously said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Bob Melson

> Hi Bo
>
> On 30/11/11 09:16 AM, Bo Ros?n wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that too earlier and it didn't
> > turn out all that well for me. I don't have it here, but I think
> > especially boxed text got mixed into the main text for a rather
> > confusing read ;)
> >
> > There may be some semi-arcane tricks to conversion I don't know about
> > though, likely as I've never really tried this before.
> >
> > (I did see that Mediawiki has an export to epub extension...)
> >

> I took a little more time to look at my conversion and found that,
> indeed, it was not much use. In my case all the internal links appeared
> to fail.
>
> Persevering I tried an on line conversion service I have used in the
> past which came back with
>

> There was a problem converting your file - We attempted to perform the
> conversion you requested from *pdf* to *epub* but unfortunately the
> conversion failed - our support team have been notified and are looking
> into the problem.
> Please click here <http://www.zamzar.com> if you would like to try and
> perform your conversion again. Conversion failed for the following file:
>
> *GRAMPS_3_3_Prince.pdf*
>
> So it would seem that there is more to this than meets the eye!
>
> Colin.

-----
The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated
in the name of the noblest causes -- Thomas Paine

Re: Manual in ePub format

Bo Rosén
2011-11-30 23:03, Bob Melson skrev:

For the very simple reason that most PDFs rarely work well on a small
screen device, 6" in my case. And the Gramps manual is worse than most.
Why do you say ePub is in Alpha? It's (one of?) the most common format
for ebooks, I believe and rarely have any great problems in my experience.
Next version may be in Alpha though.

Cheers,
Bo

> All indications are that .epub is still in Alpha, which
> leads to the question why you want to convert from a
> stable .pdf format to an unstable .epub format.  As
> somebody famously said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
>
> Bob Melson
>
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
>> Hi Bo
>>
>> On 30/11/11 09:16 AM, Bo Ros?n wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that too earlier and it didn't
>>> turn out all that well for me. I don't have it here, but I think
>>> especially boxed text got mixed into the main text for a rather
>>> confusing read ;)
>>>
>>> There may be some semi-arcane tricks to conversion I don't know about
>>> though, likely as I've never really tried this before.
>>>
>>> (I did see that Mediawiki has an export to epub extension...)
>>>

>> I took a little more time to look at my conversion and found that,
>> indeed, it was not much use. In my case all the internal links appeared
>> to fail.
>>
>> Persevering I tried an on line conversion service I have used in the
>> past which came back with
>>

>> There was a problem converting your file - We attempted to perform the
>> conversion you requested from *pdf* to *epub* but unfortunately the
>> conversion failed - our support team have been notified and are looking
>> into the problem.
>> Please click here<http://www.zamzar.com>  if you would like to try and
>> perform your conversion again. Conversion failed for the following file:
>>
>> *GRAMPS_3_3_Prince.pdf*
>>
>> So it would seem that there is more to this than meets the eye!
>>
>> Colin.

Re: Manual in ePub format

Bo Rosén
2011-11-30 22:37, Colin Reynolds skrev:

Hi Colin,

Thanks for taking the time with this.
One problem with the manual may be the two-column format. The
conversions I tried all treated the pdf as having only one column with
some rather strange text as a result.

At any rate, this would have been useful but a high priority.

Cheers,
Bo