Map Tiles

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Hello, while doing some much-needed housekeeping, I came across thousands of
'Map Tiles' split between two folders, 'googlesat' and 'googlestreet', each
with several layers of sub-folders.

Are these created automatically, or I did I do something to create them?

What is their precise purpose and do I need them?  Many of them seem to
relate to places unconnected with my research.

They are JPG files, but my viewer identifies them as PNG files.

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Map Tiles

Ron Johnson
What's the name of these folders' parent folders?

On 9/25/19 7:24 AM, Martnal wrote:

> Hello, while doing some much-needed housekeeping, I came across thousands of
> 'Map Tiles' split between two folders, 'googlesat' and 'googlestreet', each
> with several layers of sub-folders.
>
> Are these created automatically, or I did I do something to create them?
>
> What is their precise purpose and do I need them?  Many of them seem to
> relate to places unconnected with my research.
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Map Tiles

prculley
The tiles are a 'cache' of data downloaded from Google maps.  They should speed up frequent access to the Geography views, but may be deleted if you want.  They will just get created again the next time you use the Geography views.

Paul C.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:21 AM Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's the name of these folders' parent folders?

On 9/25/19 7:24 AM, Martnal wrote:
> Hello, while doing some much-needed housekeeping, I came across thousands of
> 'Map Tiles' split between two folders, 'googlesat' and 'googlestreet', each
> with several layers of sub-folders.
>
> Are these created automatically, or I did I do something to create them?
>
> What is their precise purpose and do I need them?  Many of them seem to
> relate to places unconnected with my research.
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Map Tiles

These are cached maps from the Geography Addon. They are a really useful reference if you are using Gramps with only occasional internet connection.

Tiles are stored as you zoom in on maps. Gramps won't even try to re-download the region if it already has a tile cached for that zoom scale. (If you're offline and zoom in beyond the scale, any existing lower resolution tiles are used, they just get blurry... rather than blocky.)

If drive space is getting low, they can be deleted with impunity.

-Brian

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 7:26, Martnal
Hello, while doing some much-needed housekeeping, I came across thousands of
'Map Tiles' split between two folders, 'googlesat' and 'googlestreet', each
with several layers of sub-folders.

Are these created automatically, or I did I do something to create them?

What is their precise purpose and do I need them?  Many of them seem to
relate to places unconnected with my research.

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Map Tiles

Martnal
Thank you all.  They are numerous, but small, so after my housekeeping, I can
afford to leave them

Ron, ..\GRAMPS\Map Tiles\googlestreet\xxx\yyy

where xxx is a numerical folder name and yyy are file names.

-----