Marking persons who are ancestors of the home person

Marking persons who are ancestors of the home person

Martin Ewing
The discussion about marking the qualities of certain children in a family brings up a problem that I have.  Sometimes I want to step down the lineage from an early ancestor down to a particular descendant, i.e., the "home person" using the "relationships" or "pedigree" panel.  This is difficult if there are many children in each family.  The bold/italic marking helps some, because those are the children who have children, but it does not tell which is a "correct" path to the home person.  (Possibly, there is more than one.)

It would be most helpful to have a unique flag to indicate that a child is on the path to the home person, especially in "relationships".  If this list doesn't shoot it down, I will make a feature request.

And then there is the question of why Gramps is "afraid" of using color highlighting in such situations...  Gramps does use pink and blue in the pedigree display!

Cheers,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL

Re: Marking persons who are ancestors of the home person

DS Blank
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The discussion about marking the qualities of certain children in a family
> brings up a problem that I have.  Sometimes I want to step down the lineage
> from an early ancestor down to a particular descendant, i.e., the "home
> person" using the "relationships" or "pedigree" panel.  This is difficult if
> there are many children in each family.  The bold/italic marking helps some,
> because those are the children who have children, but it does not tell which
> is a "correct" path to the home person.  (Possibly, there is more than one.)
>
> It would be most helpful to have a unique flag to indicate that a child is
> on the path to the home person, especially in "relationships".  If this list
> doesn't shoot it down, I will make a feature request.

I'm not sure I understand what this flag would be exactly, but there
are a couple of tools that I use to do similar things.

If you want to manually look at the chain of people connecting an
ancestor to a descendant, then I use the "Deep Connections Gramplet".
You can click on the people in the chain and add an attribute or mark
them, for example.

Or, you can also use the "Add Attribute Tool". Select a filter
("Ancestors of Person X") and add an attribute to all of them in one
swoop.

> And then there is the question of why Gramps is "afraid" of using color
> highlighting in such situations...  Gramps does use pink and blue in the
> pedigree display!

In the past, pre-deterimined colors were avoided because it could
clash with your theme. But propose a use for color, and we can discuss
it.

Thanks!

-Doug

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The discussion about marking the qualities of certain children in a family
> brings up a problem that I have.  Sometimes I want to step down the lineage
> from an early ancestor down to a particular descendant, i.e., the "home
> person" using the "relationships" or "pedigree" panel.  This is difficult if
> there are many children in each family.  The bold/italic marking helps some,
> because those are the children who have children, but it does not tell which
> is a "correct" path to the home person.  (Possibly, there is more than one.)
>
> It would be most helpful to have a unique flag to indicate that a child is
> on the path to the home person, especially in "relationships".  If this list
> doesn't shoot it down, I will make a feature request.

I'm not sure I understand what this flag would be exactly, but there
are a couple of tools that I use to do similar things.

If you want to manually look at the chain of people connecting an
ancestor to a descendant, then I use the "Deep Connections Gramplet".
You can click on the people in the chain and add an attribute or mark
them, for example.

Or, you can also use the "Add Attribute Tool". Select a filter
("Ancestors of Person X") and add an attribute to all of them in one
swoop.

I know there are ways to find the line of descent through gramplets or reports, but these are "off-line" -- it means breaking my flow of work, when I just want to interactively skip down the chain of relationships from an ancestor to a particular ultimate descendant.  It would be a lot more convenient to see it immediately when looking at the children of a relationship and/or on the drop-down menu at the left edge of a pedigree display.  Now, if they are bold, you know that clicking on one of them will bring up more info.  You just don't know which one will lead to your home person.

[I agree that the gramplets are a fairly good alternative.  They would even be better if they could exist as "live" windows or panels alongside the current panel of interest.  I didn't know about "Deep Connections".  Sounds good.]

File all this under "usability".  There are plenty of ways to get at the information if you navigate around, generate reports, flip to gramplets, etc.  The problem is that data are not always presented for immediate access when and where you might want them IMO.

> And then there is the question of why Gramps is "afraid" of using color
> highlighting in such situations...  Gramps does use pink and blue in the
> pedigree display!

In the past, pre-deterimined colors were avoided because it could
clash with your theme. But propose a use for color, and we can discuss
it.

We could use a default set, but let the user adjust the colors as desired.  We already do it with prefs -> Marker colors, so the framework is there.  If you don't care for colors, there are always icons!

Thanks!

-Doug

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > The discussion about marking the qualities of certain children in a
>> > family
>> > brings up a problem that I have.  Sometimes I want to step down the
>> > lineage
>> > from an early ancestor down to a particular descendant, i.e., the "home
>> > person" using the "relationships" or "pedigree" panel.  This is
>> > difficult if
>> > there are many children in each family.  The bold/italic marking helps
>> > some,
>> > because those are the children who have children, but it does not tell
>> > which
>> > is a "correct" path to the home person.  (Possibly, there is more than
>> > one.)
>> >
>> > It would be most helpful to have a unique flag to indicate that a child
>> > is
>> > on the path to the home person, especially in "relationships".  If this
>> > list
>> > doesn't shoot it down, I will make a feature request.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand what this flag would be exactly, but there
>> are a couple of tools that I use to do similar things.
>>
>> If you want to manually look at the chain of people connecting an
>> ancestor to a descendant, then I use the "Deep Connections Gramplet".
>> You can click on the people in the chain and add an attribute or mark
>> them, for example.
>>
>> Or, you can also use the "Add Attribute Tool". Select a filter
>> ("Ancestors of Person X") and add an attribute to all of them in one
>> swoop.
>
> I know there are ways to find the line of descent through gramplets or
> reports, but these are "off-line" -- it means breaking my flow of work, when
> I just want to interactively skip down the chain of relationships from an
> ancestor to a particular ultimate descendant.  It would be a lot more
> convenient to see it immediately when looking at the children of a
> relationship and/or on the drop-down menu at the left edge of a pedigree
> display.  Now, if they are bold, you know that clicking on one of them will
> bring up more info.  You just don't know which one will lead to your home
> person.
>
> [I agree that the gramplets are a fairly good alternative.  They would even
> be better if they could exist as "live" windows or panels alongside the
> current panel of interest.  I didn't know about "Deep Connections".  Sounds
> good.]

Ah, they can be a live view alongside the view. You can detach the
gramplet and put it right next to your main view:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#Gramplets

> File all this under "usability".  There are plenty of ways to get at the
> information if you navigate around, generate reports, flip to gramplets,
> etc.  The problem is that data are not always presented for immediate access
> when and where you might want them IMO.
>>
>> > And then there is the question of why Gramps is "afraid" of using color
>> > highlighting in such situations...  Gramps does use pink and blue in the
>> > pedigree display!
>>
>> In the past, pre-deterimined colors were avoided because it could
>> clash with your theme. But propose a use for color, and we can discuss
>> it.
>
> We could use a default set, but let the user adjust the colors as desired.
> We already do it with prefs -> Marker colors, so the framework is there.  If
> you don't care for colors, there are always icons!

Yes, but what would you color? What would the meaning be? I guess we
could allow named custom markers (or tags) to have associated
colors...

-Doug

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah, they can be a live view alongside the view. You can detach the
gramplet and put it right next to your main view:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#Gramplets

OK, that gives me 90% of what I was looking for!  Thanks.

--
Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL
Branford, Connecticut

Re: Marking persons who are ancestors of the home person

Doug-11
On 13/02/10 15:07, Doug Blank wrote:
<snip>
> Or, you can also use the "Add Attribute Tool". Select a filter
> ("Ancestors of Person X") and add an attribute to all of them in one
> swoop.

<snip>

Where is this tool?
I'm using 3.1.2 and I don't see it.

Doug

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/02/10 15:07, Doug Blank wrote:
> <snip>
>> Or, you can also use the "Add Attribute Tool". Select a filter
>> ("Ancestors of Person X") and add an attribute to all of them in one
>> swoop.
>>
> <snip>
>
> Where is this tool?
> I'm using 3.1.2 and I don't see it.

There are two experimental tools that aren't really available through
standard means yet, but were discussed briefly on this list a couple
of weeks ago. If you want to try them, use on backups of data:

1.) http://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps-addons/branches/gramps32/download/AttachSourceTool.addon.tgz
2.) http://gramps-addons.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps-addons/branches/gramps32/download/SetAttributeTool.addon.tgz

The first can attach a source to a set of filtered people. The second
can set an attribute to a particular value on a set of filtered
people.

To use, open the download and put the JUST the .py file (not the
.gpr.py file) into your ~/.gramps/plugins folder.

These are being worked on for the Gramps 3.2 release coming up, where
you can install these from inside of gramps. If you do try these, I'd
love to hear if they work for you.

-Doug

On 13/02/10 18:29, Doug wrote:

> On 13/02/10 15:07, Doug Blank wrote:
> <snip>
>> Or, you can also use the "Add Attribute Tool". Select a filter
>> ("Ancestors of Person X") and add an attribute to all of them in one
>> swoop.
>>
> <snip>
>
> Where is this tool?
> I'm using 3.1.2 and I don't see it.
>
> Doug
Doug,
The Attach Atribute Tool is very nice and occasionally really useful indeed.
The only thing I would like added arises from the following situation:

You define an attribute and set a value for it to a filtered selection
of the database for some manipulation or other.
But your need for the attribute is temporary; having finished. you'd
like to clean up the database again.

One can edit to remove the value of the attribute. It would be very
handy if one could go further to remove the attribute itself completely.
Is that possible?

Doug

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM, doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/02/10 18:29, Doug wrote:
>> On 13/02/10 15:07, Doug Blank wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Or, you can also use the "Add Attribute Tool". Select a filter
>>> ("Ancestors of Person X") and add an attribute to all of them in one
>>> swoop.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Where is this tool?
>> I'm using 3.1.2 and I don't see it.
>>
>> Doug
> Doug,
> The Attach Atribute Tool is very nice and occasionally really useful indeed.
> The only thing I would like added arises from the following situation:
>
> You define an attribute and set a value for it to a filtered selection
> of the database for some manipulation or other.
> But your need for the attribute is temporary; having finished. you'd
> like to clean up the database again.
>
> One can edit to remove the value of the attribute. It would be very
> handy if one could go further to remove the attribute itself completely.
> Is that possible?

Yes, that is a needed option. I'll add that to my list of enhancements
for that tool. Thanks!

-Doug