Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

Keith Jacobs

I have found 13 Marriage Events as a Personal Event and not as a Family Event.

Is it possible to to move them, individually, to become a Family Event?

Or will I have to write down all of the relevant details, create a Family Event then delete the Personal Event?

--
Regards
Keith Jacobs

Re: Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

Dave Scheipers
Hi Keith

You can move them from the individual's record to the Family. You can
use the Clipboard to move the event or open the Family record from
within the person's edit window and drag-n-drop to the Family record.
If the other spouse also has a Marriage even, you can delete it. The
one marriage event in the Family record is enough for both
individuals.

The key is the role. In the Family record, the Marriage event's role
has to be set to Family.

Dave

On 11/10/19 2:27 PM, Keith Jacobs wrote:

I have found 13 Marriage Events as a Personal Event and not as a Family Event.

Is it possible to to move them, individually, to become a Family Event?

Or will I have to write down all of the relevant details, create a Family Event then delete the Personal Event?

Open the Family Edit window, click on the Events tab and then drag the relevant event from the Person section.  Click OK.
Now it's a Family event.

Next, go to the Person Edit window and remove the Event from there.

Re: Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

Keith Jacobs

Hi Ron

Yes I have now found the correct way to do it.

Regards
Keith Jacobs
On 10/11/2019 21:17, Ron Johnson wrote:
[...]

You already have the Quick Answer from Dave. But the wiki manual is kind of thin on Roles & References. So what follows is a roughcut of what I hope to add once the Wiki migration to the new hosting service is fully resolved. (Great work Sam! Thanks!) The text goes beyond a step-by-step so the workflow logic becomes more clear.

You had found 13 Marriage Events as a Personal Event and not as a Family Event
Good job on finding those Role mismatches. Roles are hard to view & search.  How did you determine that you only had a dozen?

(Paul Culley wrote some code for adding a Role filter a couple years ago. I need to try it!  Hopefully, that filter capability will be added to the main application some day.

----------------------------------
Changing from a Personal to a Family Event is a Drag'n'Drop operation, no copying, clipboarding or transcribing needed.

The easiest place do a Personal to Family starts in the Edit Person window. Double-click the Person who has the mispositioned Event in the People view. This opens the Person Edit window.

You will see the current records in the Events tab for the Person and also the Family(ies) where they are a spouse/partner.  In this editor wimdow you CAN drag from a Family section into the Personal section but not the other direction.

To drag into a Family, double-click that Family's header to open the Family Editor.  The Children tab is visible by default so select the Events tab.

Now drag the Event from the Spouse area to the Family area. (This creates a new REFERENCE for the event under the Family. It does not make a duplicate of the Event.)

The Event Reference Editor automatically opens so you can change the newly created Reference. Change the Role at the top from 'Unknown' to 'Family'. (Roles for References created by dragging are ambiguous... so they start out as 'Unknown'.)

Hit the 'OK' for the Event Reference Editor & Family Editor.

Now you have the Marriage Event showing TWICE in the Person Editor --- under Personal and Family. So, to clean out the Personal reference, click that Marriage Event under the Personal section & click the minus ('-') button above the column headers. (Or just hit the 'delete' key while the Event is selected.)

Click the 'OK' in the Person Editor and move on to the next.

Remember, this only deletes the Reference linking the Event to the Person. It does not delete Event from the database. To delete an actual Event from the database, you'd have to be in the Event view.

-Brian

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 14:29, Keith Jacobs

I have found 13 Marriage Events as a Personal Event and not as a Family Event.

Is it possible to to move them, individually, to become a Family Event?

Or will I have to write down all of the relevant details, create a Family Event then delete the Personal Event?

--
Regards
Keith Jacobs

Re: Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

Dave Scheipers
Hi Brian.

 Great Info.

But Paul was active and wrote a full addon to find people with event roles..

" People with events with a selected role".

The filer rule also applies to family searches

" Families with events with a selected role".

It is an addon at …\gramps51\plugins\FilterRules\hasrolerule.py

Dave

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 5:38 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Click the 'OK' in the Person Editor and move on to the next.
>
> Remember, this only deletes the Reference linking the Event to the Person. It does not delete Event from the database. To delete an actual Event from the database, you'd have to be in the Event view.
>
> -Brian
>
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 14:29, Keith Jacobs
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have found 13 Marriage Events as a Personal Event and not as a Family Event.
>
> Is it possible to to move them, individually, to become a Family Event?
>
> Or will I have to write down all of the relevant details, create a Family Event then delete the Personal Event?
>
> --
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Re: Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Thanks Dave.

I spent some time searching my hard drive folders for the files you specified. But they weren't there and evidently are not part of the 5.1 standard package. They are addons that have to be explicitly installed.  (I suspect that when you upgrade to a new version in Windows, your existing addon library is examined and also installed with the new version.  Cool, if that's the way it works.)

Yet those 2 filter rule add-ons for Roles had not been installed on my installation.  (I thought I'd Installed most everything when upgrading to 5.1.1 --- except those designed for different languages and example code.)

Nor are the rules AddOns currently listed on the Gramps Wiki.  When you install the following with the (Advanced or Standard) Addon Manager:
  People with events with a selected role
  Families with events with a selected role
then the following rules added to the "Custom filter" options for the
  Person/Relationships adds rule "Events filter" People with events with a selected role
  Families adds rule "Events filter" Families with events with a selected role
     I will file a feature request to revise this to the variable implying form used in the other rules: "Families with events with the <role>"

There is no Role filter rule for Events yet.  So you can't search Role mismatches... like Keith is seeking the Marriage Events with (inverse/not matching) Family role among the References.

But searching for Unknown roles will find those shared (clipboarded/drag'n'dropped) events where you overlooked fixing the Role. And that is a most worthwhile cleanup.

-Brian

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Click the 'OK' in the Person Editor and move on to the next.
>
> Remember, this only deletes the Reference linking the Event to the Person. It does not delete Event from the database. To delete an actual Event from the database, you'd have to be in the Event view.
>
> -Brian
>
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 14:29, Keith Jacobs
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have found 13 Marriage Events as a Personal Event and not as a Family Event.
>
> Is it possible to to move them, individually, to become a Family Event?
>
> Or will I have to write down all of the relevant details, create a Family Event then delete the Personal Event?
>
> --
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Re: Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

There was a discussion not long ago that again brought up filtering by
roles. It was then that I brought up the previous 'Unknown' role
filter. Soon after, Paul expanded the rule for any role and expanded
it to include Families.

There would not be a need for search by role in Events.  Editing an
event from the event list does not dis[play roles. The event could be
shared, and each person could/would have a unique role for the same
event. People and Families have roles. Events do not.

One of the enhancements to 5.1.0 was making filter rules installable
as an addon.

Long ago I seemed to be missing addons so I finally just set my
preferences to search once a day for new and updated addons, and
unchecked the box "Do not ask about previously notified addons". I
always install all addons. If there are addons that I do not use, I
use the Plugin Manager to hide them.

I suppose there should be information in the wiki either in the filter
rules or in the addon area. But it is self explanatory and I would not
want to slow Paul down as a coding guru.

Dave

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 10:57 AM [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Click the 'OK' in the Person Editor and move on to the next.
> >
> > Remember, this only deletes the Reference linking the Event to the Person. It does not delete Event from the database. To delete an actual Event from the database, you'd have to be in the Event view.
> >
> > -Brian
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 14:29, Keith Jacobs
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have found 13 Marriage Events as a Personal Event and not as a Family Event.
> >
> > Is it possible to to move them, individually, to become a Family Event?
> >
> > Or will I have to write down all of the relevant details, create a Family Event then delete the Personal Event?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Keith Jacobs

Re: Marriage as Personal and not Family Event

Note the role filter rules that Dave mentioned are available via the normal addons install process.  "Edit/Preferences/Check for addon updates now" in the 'Rule' category.

Paul C.