Marriage events...

zed

Marriage events...

zed
Using Gramps v5.2.8 on LinuxMint v18.3

Just floating an idea to see whether it is worth making a suggestion to
the developers.

Unless I am doing something incorrectly when entering a Marriage event,
after entering details for one partner, I then have to go through the
process of saving the entry and then opening the window of the other
partner and enter the details again.

Would it be advantageous, or even possible, to expand the Event Reference
window to include an option "Partner: + Menu", where one would either
create a new person if not already in the database, or choose a partner
from the menu selection.  Whichever is chosen. the details for the
marriage then appear in both partners events.

Reading the above, I don't know whether I have explained myself clearly
enough but hope that the gist of what I mean is reasonably
straightforward.

zed
--
zed
Diplomacy: Saying 'nice doggy'... until you find a rock

Re: Marriage events...

Ron Johnson
On 03/05/2018 05:08 PM, zed wrote:
Using Gramps v5.2.8 on LinuxMint v18.3

Just floating an idea to see whether it is worth making a suggestion to
the developers.

Unless I am doing something incorrectly when entering a Marriage event,
after entering details for one partner,

That's your first mistake (which a lot of us make in the beginning): Marriage events should be attached to the Family not the individual Persons.

I then have to go through the
process of saving the entry and then opening the window of the other
partner and enter the details again.

Would it be advantageous, or even possible, to expand the Event Reference
window to include an option "Partner: + Menu", where one would either
create a new person if not already in the database, or choose a partner
from the menu selection.  Whichever is chosen. the details for the
marriage then appear in both partners events.

Reading the above, I don't know whether I have explained myself clearly
enough but hope that the gist of what I mean is reasonably
straightforward.

To share events, use the clipboard (which is *definitely* unintuitive if you've never used it).

To open the Clipboard, click on the toolbar icon which in every other program means "Paste".  In Gramps, it means "Open the clipboard."  (You can also type Ctrl-B or Edit->Clipboard.)

Then, after you've created the Event (or Place, Citation, Note, etc), for one person, drag the event to the clipboard, and open the next person.  Now drag the object into the relevant location in the other person's edit window.

zed

Re: Marriage events...

zed
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/05/2018 05:08 PM, zed wrote:
> > Using Gramps v5.2.8 on LinuxMint v18.3
> >
> > Just floating an idea to see whether it is worth making a suggestion
> > to the developers.
> >
> > Unless I am doing something incorrectly when entering a Marriage
> > event, after entering details for one partner,
>
> That's your first mistake (which a lot of us make in the beginning):
> Marriage events should be attached to the *Family* not the individual
> Persons.

Thanks for the prompt reply.  My dress for the foreseeable future will be
"sackcloth and ashes" :-)

> > > I then have to go through the process of saving the entry and then
> > opening the window of the other partner and enter the details again.
> >
> > Would it be advantageous, or even possible, to expand the Event
> > Reference window to include an option "Partner: + Menu", where one
> > would either create a new person if not already in the database, or
> > choose a partner from the menu selection.  Whichever is chosen. the
> > details for the marriage then appear in both partners events.
> >
> > Reading the above, I don't know whether I have explained myself
> > clearly enough but hope that the gist of what I mean is reasonably
> > straightforward.
>
> To share events, use the clipboard (which is *definitely* unintuitive if
> you've never used it).
>
> To open the Clipboard, click on the toolbar icon which in every other
> program means "Paste".  In Gramps, it means "Open the clipboard."  (You
> can also type Ctrl-B or Edit->Clipboard.)
>
> Then, after you've created the Event (or Place, Citation, Note, etc),
> for one person, drag the event to the clipboard, and open the next
> person.  Now drag the object into the relevant location in the other
> person's edit window.

Certainly not intuitive, as you remark.

Since sending my email I've done a little more exploration and found that
I can edit the Marriage event imported from Family Historian, and by so
doing the edited text is shown in the records for each partner.

Again, thank you for your help.

zed
--
zed
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly

Re: Marriage events...

On 03/05/2018 05:56 PM, zed wrote:
> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]
>> That's your first mistake (which a lot of us make in the beginning):
>> Marriage events should be attached to the *Family* not the individual
>> Persons.
> Thanks for the prompt reply.  My dress for the foreseeable future will be
> "sackcloth and ashes" :-)

Nah.  It's a common newbie occurrence.

[snip]

>> Then, after you've created the Event (or Place, Citation, Note, etc),
>> for one person, drag the event to the clipboard, and open the next
>> person.  Now drag the object into the relevant location in the other
>> person's edit window.
>>
> Certainly not intuitive, as you remark.
>
> Since sending my email I've done a little more exploration and found that
> I can edit the Marriage event imported from Family Historian, and by so
> doing the edited text is shown in the records for each partner.

Shared events are really sweet.  Without them, recording census events for
large farm families is *painful*.