Marriage witnesses

Doug-11
Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
marriage?

For each witness, I'd like to be able to attach a reference/link to the
particular marriage event; and
For the particular marriage event, I'd like to be able to attach a
reference/link to each individual witness.

Can I do this and how?

Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

jerome
> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
> marriage?

On Person Editor, share existing marriage event and set role=witness.

Doug a écrit :

> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
> marriage?
>
> For each witness, I'd like to be able to attach a reference/link to the
> particular marriage event; and
> For the particular marriage event, I'd like to be able to attach a
> reference/link to each individual witness.
>
> Can I do this and how?
>
> Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

Gerald Britton-2
ON the marriage event, go to the attributes tab.  You can add them there.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
> marriage?
>
> For each witness, I'd like to be able to attach a reference/link to the
> particular marriage event; and
> For the particular marriage event, I'd like to be able to attach a
> reference/link to each individual witness.
>
> Can I do this and how?
>
> Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

Gerald Britton-2
Two methods then! one for members of your database (sharing the event)
and one for non-members (via attributes)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
>> marriage?
>
> On Person Editor, share existing marriage event and set role=witness.
>

> Doug a écrit :
>> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
>> marriage?
>>
>> For each witness, I'd like to be able to attach a reference/link to the
>> particular marriage event; and
>> For the particular marriage event, I'd like to be able to attach a
>> reference/link to each individual witness.
>>
>> Can I do this and how?
>>
>> Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

Benny Malengier
Gerald is right.
And guess what, there is a page on the wiki explaining all the details:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Add_a_witness

Benny

2008/9/10 Gerald Britton <[hidden email]>
Two methods then! one for members of your database (sharing the event)
and one for non-members (via attributes)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
>> marriage?
>
> On Person Editor, share existing marriage event and set role=witness.
>

> Doug a écrit :
>> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
>> marriage?
>>
>> For each witness, I'd like to be able to attach a reference/link to the
>> particular marriage event; and
>> For the particular marriage event, I'd like to be able to attach a
>> reference/link to each individual witness.
>>
>> Can I do this and how?
>>
>> Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

Doug-11
Hi List,
sorry I forgot to send the below to the list
Doug

Gerald Britton wrote:

> ON the marriage event, go to the attributes tab.  You can add them there.
>
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry if this is a very noob question: how do you enter witnesses to a
>> marriage?
>>
>> For each witness, I'd like to be able to attach a reference/link to the
>> particular marriage event; and
>> For the particular marriage event, I'd like to be able to attach a
>> reference/link to each individual witness.

Thanks, Gerald. Can you explain a bit more? I don't think I've got it yet.
Using 3.0.1:
       Marriage Event=> Edit brings up the editing panel with Reference
Information and Shared Information, both of which have Attributes tags.
(Reference Information has Role under the General tag).
      Clicking on the Attributes tag brings up the Attributes panel
which offers only the possibility of adding, editing or removing
attributes, not sharing.
      Clicking on Add brings up an Attribute Editor panel, where one
can select the Type of attribute (Witness) and then type something or
other in as the Value (and provide a Source and Notes if wanted).
       If I just type in a  name as the Value, it will tell me where to
look to follow up but won't actually provide any direct link to the
individual in question. Or have I got it wrong?

How do I insert an direct link from the marriage event to the individual?

Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

Doug-11
Hi List,
Sorry I forgot to address this to the list

Doug

Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2008/9/11 Doug <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Benny Malengier wrote:
>
>         Gerald is right.
>         And guess what, there is a page on the wiki explaining all the
>         details:
>         http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Add_a_witness
>
>         Benny
>
>         2008/9/10 Gerald Britton <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>

>            Two methods then! one for members of your database (sharing
>         the event)
>            and one for non-members (via attributes)
>
>     Thanks, Benny. I got your post after replying to Gerald.
>
>     I followed Jerome's advice, the same as the wiki, linking
>     individuals  already in the database to the marriage event with
>     the 'Witness' Role. That direction, from individual to marriage
>     event, works fine.
>
>     But going in the other direction, from the marriage Event=> Edit=>
>     References, I get the individuals Typed as Person, not as Witness,
>     and the Role as 'Family' (presumably referring to the marriage
>     itself).
>

> The references just show the objects connected to an event, it was not
> designed to show roles, it just shows the object type that is
> connected (Here a Person). Feel free to do a feature request to extend
> the backward references to show more info
>
> Benny

Thanks, Benny, at least that clarifies the situation.

Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

Martin Steer-2
Doug <[hidden email]> writes:

> [snip]
> Using 3.0.1:
>        Marriage Event=> Edit brings up the editing panel with Reference
> Information and Shared Information, both of which have Attributes tags.
> (Reference Information has Role under the General tag).
>
>       Clicking on the Attributes tag brings up the Attributes panel
> which offers only the possibility of adding, editing or removing
> attributes, not sharing.
>
>       Clicking on Add brings up an Attribute Editor panel, where one
> can select the Type of attribute (Witness) and then type something or
> other in as the Value (and provide a Source and Notes if wanted).
>
>        If I just type in a  name as the Value, it will tell me where to
> look to follow up but won't actually provide any direct link to the
> individual in question. Or have I got it wrong?

Event attributes and event sharing are distinct things. Event attributes
belong to an event, and as such can be entered via the event editor,
e.g. "Witness: Aunt Martha".

But you might also want Aunt Martha to share the event.

> How do I insert an direct link from the marriage event to the
> individual?

Open the individual editor for Aunt Martha, go to the events tab and
search for an existing event (or add a new one).

What you see after selecting the event is a two-part editor. The
"reference info" of the top half belongs to the particular link you're
making. The "shared info" in the bottom half belongs to the event in
general.

What you may want to change in the reference info is the role of the
individual you're linking from, e.g. to "witness", "bride", "groom",
etc. You can also add a custom role by overwriting an existing menu
item.

As you note above, there is an attribute tab in both the reference and
shared info.

I hope this is of some help,

--
Martin

Re: Marriage witnesses

Doug-11
Martin Steer wrote:

> Doug <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>> <snip>
>>

> Event attributes and event sharing are distinct things. Event attributes
> belong to an event, and as such can be entered via the event editor,
> e.g. "Witness: Aunt Martha".

Ah, that's very much clearer.

> But you might also want Aunt Martha to share the event.
>

>> <snip>
>>

> Open the individual editor for Aunt Martha, go to the events tab and
> search for an existing event (or add a new one).
>
> What you see after selecting the event is a two-part editor. The
> "reference info" of the top half belongs to the particular link you're
> making. The "shared info" in the bottom half belongs to the event in
> general.

I think I've got that straight.

Now, working in the other direction, if I want to add witnesses to the
marriage event attached to the Family, I go to the two-part marriage editor.
I open the 'shared info' Attributes to add two attributes of Type
Witness with the Values  "name1"  and  "name2" .

In this context the 'reference info' and its attributes are meaningless
because there is no link involved.
Is that right, or have I still got something muddled?

Thanks for your patience!

Doug

Re: Marriage witnesses

Martin Steer-2
Doug <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Open the individual editor for Aunt Martha, go to the events tab and
>> search for an existing event (or add a new one).
>>
>> What you see after selecting the event is a two-part editor. The
>> "reference info" of the top half belongs to the particular link you're
>> making. The "shared info" in the bottom half belongs to the event in
>> general.
>>
> I think I've got that straight.
>
> Now, working in the other direction, if I want to add witnesses to the
> marriage event attached to the Family, I go to the two-part marriage
> editor.
> I open the 'shared info' Attributes to add two attributes of Type
> Witness with the Values  "name1"  and  "name2" .
>
> In this context the 'reference info' and its attributes are
> meaningless because there is no link involved.
> Is that right, or have I still got something muddled?

If you go to the Events view and open an event there, e.g. a marriage,
you'll see that the editor has only a single row of tabs. What you can
now edit are features of the event per se. Under the references tab are
listed the existing links (references) to this event.

If you go to the Families view and open a family, then open an event
using the events tab, you will see the two-part editor with two rows of
tabs. This editor is about the link (reference) between the family and
the event. You can also see that the default role for this kind of
reference is in fact "family".

So, the short answer is that if you can see some place to enter
reference info, there is indeed a link (reference). If you close the
editor you are back at the origin of the link.

As to the witnesses, I would say that they belong to the event, not to
the particular reference, so the proper place for them as attributes is
under shared information. The most direct approach is to enter them by
opening an event via the Events view.

One way to get an idea of how gramps' various resources can be used is
to look at what a report does to your data. The Narrative Web Site is
good for this. Try putting some attributes and links in various places
and see how they show up on a web page.

Digressing slightly to the question of roles, the default role for a
family reference to a marriage event is "family". You might also link to
the marriage from the bride (the role is "bride"), and from a witness
("witness"), and so on.

Turning back to the NarrativeWeb, the link from a witness gives you info
about the marriage on the witness's page. Adding a witness as an
attribute to the event means they are listed in the event description
wherever it occurs (e.g. on the page of the bride or groom).

--
Martin

Re: Marriage witnesses

Doug-11