Married Names in Person Lists

Dave Hamilton

Is there a means of including a person in the ‘People’ list multiple times?

In particular, I would like to see a person (usually female) listed under both their maiden and married names with the married name suitably marked (say with an asterisk). This would be useful when going through a census return where a person is listed as a widow and therefore under their married name and for the life of me I can’t remember their maiden name. It would also be useful in cases where a given name differs across different documents. For example, the name registered as Julia at birth but then Cathelenia on census night and Kathleen at marriage.

Regards

Dave Hamilton

Re: Married Names in Person Lists

Rich Lakey
I don't pretend to have a good answer for you. But I have the People list near full screen. I am lucky I have two 23" monitors that help my old eyes. I use the second screen for research and comparison.
But on the People screen I have added a column for the spouse, this helps me to see the maiden name. Doesn't help a lot with multiple marriages as it only shows one.
Rich

On 03/25/2017 08:20 PM, Dave Hamilton wrote:

Is there a means of including a person in the ‘People’ list multiple times?

In particular, I would like to see a person (usually female) listed under both their maiden and married names with the married name suitably marked (say with an asterisk). This would be useful when going through a census return where a person is listed as a widow and therefore under their married name and for the life of me I can’t remember their maiden name. It would also be useful in cases where a given name differs across different documents. For example, the name registered as Julia at birth but then Cathelenia on census night and Kathleen at marriage.

Regards

Dave Hamilton

Have you backed up your files today?