Media View Title

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi

Started cleaning up some of my media files and discovered the titles
were not exactly how I wanted them to look
However the only means of editing this I have found is to go through
each item of media line by line
I exported the media view to a .csv to have a look at how the
information was presented realising that any modifications I did to
title would not be re imported, whilst realising the potential problems
of re importing media types and file names would it not be a useful
feature to be able to process the title text externally using Find and
Replace etc and only be able to re import this.

Apologies if this question has been previously raised

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: Media View Title

Dave Scheipers
I only know of the manual edit of the media Title fields. Having spent
time standardizing how I name various types of files, after adding new
records, I'll verify that I have used the same format naming these new
records with what I have used for the same or similar files. Of
course, I have already done the same for the raw file name keeping
that name the same or similar to other images/files.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Started cleaning up some of my media files and discovered the titles were
> not exactly how I wanted them to look
> However the only means of editing this I have found is to go through each
> item of media line by line
> I exported the media view to a .csv to have a look at how the information
> was presented realising that any modifications I did to title would not be
> re imported, whilst realising the potential problems of re importing media
> types and file names would it not be a useful feature to be able to process
> the title text externally using Find and Replace etc and only be able to re
> import this.
>
> Apologies if this question has been previously raised
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries

Re: Media View Title

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Dave

My problem is that I have s system I understand (some correction needed)
but is not the best for others to follow and looks poor when formatted
on DynamicWeb etc

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 19/04/2018 01:01, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> I only know of the manual edit of the media Title fields. Having spent
> time standardizing how I name various types of files, after adding new
> records, I'll verify that I have used the same format naming these new
> records with what I have used for the same or similar files. Of
> course, I have already done the same for the raw file name keeping
> that name the same or similar to other images/files.
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Started cleaning up some of my media files and discovered the titles were
>> not exactly how I wanted them to look
>> However the only means of editing this I have found is to go through each
>> item of media line by line
>> I exported the media view to a .csv to have a look at how the information
>> was presented realising that any modifications I did to title would not be
>> re imported, whilst realising the potential problems of re importing media
>> types and file names would it not be a useful feature to be able to process
>> the title text externally using Find and Replace etc and only be able to re
>> import this.
>>
>> Apologies if this question has been previously raised
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries

Re: Media View Title

J. Allen Crider-2
Probably not what you wanted, but one way to accomplish what you want
would be to export your database to a Gramps XML file and use the text
editor of your choice to make changes.  Then create a new, empty family
tree and import the edited XML file.

Allen

On 04/19/2018 07:41 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> My problem is that I have s system I understand (some correction needed)
> but is not the best for others to follow and looks poor when formatted
> on DynamicWeb etc
>

> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
>
> On 19/04/2018 01:01, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> I only know of the manual edit of the media Title fields. Having spent
>> time standardizing how I name various types of files, after adding new
>> records, I'll verify that I have used the same format naming these new
>> records with what I have used for the same or similar files. Of
>> course, I have already done the same for the raw file name keeping
>> that name the same or similar to other images/files.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Started cleaning up some of my media files and discovered the titles
>>> were
>>> not exactly how I wanted them to look
>>> However the only means of editing this I have found is to go through
>>> each
>>> item of media line by line
>>> I exported the media view to a .csv to have a look at how the
>>> information
>>> was presented realising that any modifications I did to title would
>>> not be
>>> re imported, whilst realising the potential problems of re importing
>>> media
>>> types and file names would it not be a useful feature to be able to
>>> process
>>> the title text externally using Find and Replace etc and only be able
>>> to re
>>> import this.
>>>
>>> Apologies if this question has been previously raised
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Phil
>>> MLFHS 12583
>>> Dumfries

Re: Media View Title

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Allen

Looked at that one but xml file is vast and potential for error during
editing equally so

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583