Quantcast

Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

sturdy
I am unable to import media from a GEDCOM created by FTM 2012. GRAMPS acts differently for Linux (3.4.0-1) and Windows (3.4.1-0.SVN19715M).

Windows:
Uncited photos and other files appear to import okay. However, cited sources such as census images do not link to the individual event/citation. Where a census image should appear in the Event Gallery tab, and the Citation Gallery, the tabs are blank.

Here is the content of the Notes tab for this indiv:

Records not imported into INDI (individual) Gramps ID I1032:

Line ignored as not understood     Line 113156: 3 OBJE @M1630@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113166: 3 OBJE @M2222@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113179: 3 OBJE @M1630@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113191: 3 OBJE @M1630@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113201: 3 OBJE @M2222@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113214: 3 OBJE @M2222@

Linux:

Same as above but Linux version also does not accept media path containing spaces. Using a text editor, I converted the Windows file structure in the GEDCOM to the appropriate Linux path. However, only the leading "/" of the mount point "/media" was imported. Changing spaces to an underscore resulted in an acceptable path, however, the additional issues described above still occurred.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I can accomplish the import. My tree has too many media citations to correct manually/individually.

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
sturdy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello sturdy,

>Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I can accomplish the import. My
>tree has too many media citations to correct manually/individually.

Spaces are never a good idea in file or directory names, for the reason
you have found;  They can truncate the path prematurely.  The way around
it is to put the whole path and file name in quote marks thus;

 "/path to/a/file name"

Or 'escaping' the spaces thus;

/path\ to/a/file\ name

Adding the leading double quote shouldn't be too onerous (find and
replace /media with "/media), but adding the trailing one is beyond my
current ability.  However, it'll need a program to detect where /media
occurs in the GEDCOM, and somehow determine where the path and filename
end.  Most likely, this will involve 'grep', amongst other things.
Similar methods can be used to enter the escape character.

Finally, it's not unheard of for some (mainly proprietary) programs to
play "fast and loose" with the GEDCOM standard, using certain parts for
their own purpose.  As a result it's almost impossible to get a 100%
successful import using GEDCOM.  The bigger the database, the greater
the likelihood of data loss, of course.

--
 Regards  _
I am alone there's nobody there

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Tim Lyons
Administrator
sturdy wrote
Here is the content of the Notes tab for this indiv:

Records not imported into INDI (individual) Gramps ID I1032:

Line ignored as not understood     Line 113156: 3 OBJE @M1630@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113166: 3 OBJE @M2222@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113179: 3 OBJE @M1630@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113191: 3 OBJE @M1630@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113201: 3 OBJE @M2222@
Line ignored as not understood     Line 113214: 3 OBJE @M2222@
I expect that the file created by FTM 2012 is NOT legal GEDCOM. In common with other genealogy programs, Gramps is not able to deal with all the extensions to GEDCOM that have been invented by various programs.

Could you tell us what the GEDCOM file contains between the immediately preceding level 0 tag and the "Line 113156: 3 OBJE @M1630@ ", so that we can assess how difficult it would be to modify Gramps to accommodate this extension?

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

sturdy
Thanks for the responses. I recently bought FTM 2012 with the hope of finally getting my tree into GRAMPS after three years. So this issue is rather disappointing.

As for the spaces in the file name/path...yes, poor practice but that is commonly accepted these days and GRAMPS should accept spaces in both Windows and Linux. Unfortunately, FTM uses spaces in paths. Adding surround quotes to the GEDCOM is not the answer because GRAMPS import doesn't like that either. I have not tried escaping each space but will try that if I can get around the linking issue (below).

Linking...I was unable to exactly recreate the info that I sent previously. Instead I have exported a single individual from FTM 2012 and loaded into GRAMPS. The Indiv contains source references to both cited and uncited media (images). As I mentioned, uncited media doesn't seem to be a problem. I am attaching two files: the FTM GEDCOM and the error info produced on GRAMPS import. This should give you the similar info. Or you can import the GEDCOM and see what is happening. Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Nabors_2012-07-15.ged

Nabors_Errors.txt

Thanks for the assist...

Sturdy

Supporting spaces in file/directory names (was Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM)

Ron Johnson
On 07/15/2012 01:55 PM, sturdy wrote:
[snip]
> As for the spaces in the file name/path...yes, poor practice but that is
> commonly accepted these days and GRAMPS should accept spaces in both Windows
> and Linux.

This is too sadly true.  With the proliferation of GUI file managers,
adding spaces to names is just... natural, and preventing it is a likely
as preventing gmail, yahoo and Outlook users from top-posting: works
occasionally but not usually.

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Note, Gramps tried to support some custom behavior generated by FTM (eg,
description or value associated to event on place field), but it seems
that there is so many ...

See
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Import_from_another_program#Known_issues_or_custom_extensions

Note, some people have also created programs for fixing Gedcom generated
by Family Tree Maker (was FTW 7)!
http://west-penwith.org.uk/misc/FTWGEDfx.htm

sturdy a écrit :

> Thanks for the responses. I recently bought FTM 2012 with the hope of finally
> getting my tree into GRAMPS after three years. So this issue is rather
> disappointing.
>
> As for the spaces in the file name/path...yes, poor practice but that is
> commonly accepted these days and GRAMPS should accept spaces in both Windows
> and Linux. Unfortunately, FTM uses spaces in paths. Adding surround quotes
> to the GEDCOM is not the answer because GRAMPS import doesn't like that
> either. I have not tried escaping each space but will try that if I can get
> around the linking issue (below).
>
> Linking...I was unable to exactly recreate the info that I sent previously.
> Instead I have exported a single individual from FTM 2012 and loaded into
> GRAMPS. The Indiv contains source references to both cited and uncited media
> (images). As I mentioned, uncited media doesn't seem to be a problem. I am
> attaching two files: the FTM GEDCOM and the error info produced on GRAMPS
> import. This should give you the similar info. Or you can import the GEDCOM
> and see what is happening. Let me know if I can provide anything else.
>
> http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4655669/Nabors_2012-07-15.ged
> Nabors_2012-07-15.ged
>
> http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4655669/Nabors_Errors.txt
> Nabors_Errors.txt
>
> Thanks for the assist...
>
> Sturdy

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Ron Johnson
You could promote Gramps' xml format as a more comprehensive
cross-platform standard...

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental
disaster, you need people with high IQs."
Thomas Sowell

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

jerome
> You could promote Gramps' xml format as a more comprehensive
> cross-platform standard...

Then need to change the name!

* Genealogy XML
* GXML
* Ancestry XML

and to skip Gramps' references (namespace). ;)

Seriously, a common JSON file format should be also an aternative:
key/value(s) and levels into a hierarchical structure!

Jérôme

Ron Johnson a écrit :
> You could promote Gramps' xml format as a more comprehensive
> cross-platform standard...
>
> On 07/15/2012 10:51 PM, Jérôme wrote:
>> Note, Gramps tried to support some custom behavior generated by FTM (eg,
>> description or value associated to event on place field), but it seems
>> that there is so many ...

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:07:27 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>You could promote Gramps' xml format as a more comprehensive
>cross-platform standard...

Which makers of proprietary software will either ignore, or corrupt.
For them,it's not about the user experience, but customer lock-in.  So,
the harder it is for you to migrate away from their product, the better
it is for them.

--
 Regards  _
Loaded like a freight train flyin' like an aeroplane

Re: Supporting spaces in file/directory names (was Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM)

jdebert
On 07/15/2012 01:31 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/15/2012 01:55 PM, sturdy wrote:
> [snip]
>> As for the spaces in the file name/path...yes, poor practice but that is
>> commonly accepted these days and GRAMPS should accept spaces in both Windows
>> and Linux.
>
> This is too sadly true.  With the proliferation of GUI file managers,
> adding spaces to names is just... natural, and preventing it is a likely
> as preventing gmail, yahoo and Outlook users from top-posting: works
> occasionally but not usually.

Rename files by changing spaces to underscores? Tedious by hand esp.
where there's many files but might also be able to do a batch renaming.

There actually used to be such a utility for Linux and Mac that
replaced spaces with underscores given a list, pattern glob or
directory. No idea what happened to it. I just happened to stumble
upon it doing an unrelated search and haven't had any luck finding it
since.

jd

On 07/16/2012 01:42 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:07:27 -0500
> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Ron,
>
>> You could promote Gramps' xml format as a more comprehensive
>> cross-platform standard...
>
> Which makers of proprietary software will either ignore, or corrupt.
> For them,it's not about the user experience, but customer lock-in.  So,
> the harder it is for you to migrate away from their product, the better
> it is for them.

I knew that...   :)

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental
disaster, you need people with high IQs."
Thomas Sowell

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 06:40:04 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>I knew that...   :)

I don't doubt it, Ron.  For some people though, it probably needed to be
said.

--
 Regards  _
Loaded like a freight train flyin' like an aeroplane
Nightrain - Guns 'N' Roses

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Thanks very much for the detailed reply. This helps enormously to get the problem sorted out.

I think that the three linked media (images):
1 OBJE @M33@
1 OBJE @M124@
1 OBJE @M714@
are probably being processed correctly. Perhaps you could check whether that is the case.

I think that the linked media that it is complaining about are perfectly legal GEDCOM, but they are just not being handled at the moment. That is a shame, but I think it will not be too hard to modify Gramps so that it handles them the same way it handles @M33@ etc. (assuming that it does handle those correctly).

The DATE and TEXT associated with media (images) is not standard GEDCOM. The only similar field at that level would be a NOTE structure. How essential are the DATE and TEXT fields here?

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

sturdy
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the assist. Of course you are right. Those three are what I was calling uncited media. Meaning there are no attached citations. They are simply uploaded photos. They appear on lines 148, 149 and 150, after the _PHOTO tag.

Cited media are the issue (M5045, M5046 and M5047). These have linked citations that seem to be the problem. I did a little experimenting yesterday and discovered the citation records were triplicated on Gramps import. I also noted a couple of citations with blank descriptions but one issue at a time.

I've not worked with GEDCOM before but I suspect everything needed is in the FTM export file and with a parsing app and Regex the file can be fixed. That, however, is worst case since I am *retired* and rusty. It is odd that the cited media identifiers are repeated three times in the FTM export file but it does work properly on reimport to FTM.

After I found the triple citations, I thought it would be interesting to see how FTM 2012 processed a Gramps export GEDCOM, I manually constructed the same individual, media, etc. and imported into FTM. Surprise, the citations were okay but the media images were duplicated! HTH...

Sturdy

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Tim Lyons
Administrator
sturdy wrote
I've not worked with GEDCOM before but I suspect everything needed is in the FTM export file and with a parsing app and Regex the file can be fixed. That, however, is worst case since I am *retired* and rusty. It is odd that the cited media identifiers are repeated three times in the FTM export file but it does work properly on reimport to FTM.

I don't think there would be anything you could do with the GEDCOM file to make it import better into Gramps - at least not anything that will preserve the relationship between the citation and the media.

I hope that I might be able to fix the problem with cited media sometime in August, if I can find a tuit of the correct shape :-)

At the same time I would look into the other problems, now that you have provided a sample file. Hope it will still be useful then.

Tim.

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

sturdy
Thanks Tim,

Your help is really appreciated. Sure, I can wait. I've got several unused *round* tuits if you need one. I think we are close but it would take me the rest of the year to put together a kludge anyway. Thanks again...

Sturdy

Re: Media import fails from FTM GEDCOM

Tim Lyons
Administrator
I have now fixed the problem with multimedia links (not the filename problem) under the following bug:
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6069

The fix should be available for gramps 3.4.2. If you want to use it before then, you could download:
http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/maintenance/gramps34/src/plugins/lib/libgedcom.py?revision=20450
You need to be using Gramps 3.4.1, and then replace the libgedcom.py file with the one you have downloaded, and restart Gramps.