Media manager functionality -NOW CLOSED

Martnal
This post was updated on .
From the menu bar, TOOLS - UTILITIES - MEDIA VERIFY - VERIFY.

When I run this I get a report that lists the same files on both the 'Missing Files' and 'Extra Files' tabs, which seems odd.  What are these lists actually showing me?

Thanks.

UPDATE: By foolishly reading the manual, I have resolved this.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Media_Verify_Tool#Missing_Files

I hadn't realised the importance of generating hashes first.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Media manager functionality

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Media manager functionality

J. Allen Crider-2
While I haven't used the verify tool very much and haven't seen this, my
suspicion would be that you renamed a directory and/or moved some files
within your media tree without updating the paths in Gramps.

On 12/29/2016 05:33 AM, Martnal wrote:

>>From the menu bar, TOOLS - UTILITIES - MEDIA VERIFY - VERIFY.
>
> When I run this I get a report that lists the same files on both the
> 'Missing Files' and 'Extra Files' tabs, which seems odd.  What are these
> lists actually showing me?
>
> Thanks.
>

> -----
>

> Martin, SW London
>
> I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.
>
> I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Media manager functionality

Philip Weiss
My best guess: You dropped in some replacement files with the same name.  So when looking at the file for missing files calculations, the files don't exist since the checksums don't match.  And they also show up in extra files because there are files with checksums on the file system that can't be matched to anything in the database.

To fix, try finding the media objects in your DB, then re-selecting the physical files with the selector to update the checksums.  Or re-run the Generate button from Media Verify.

Phil.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 3:33 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>From the menu bar, TOOLS - UTILITIES - MEDIA VERIFY - VERIFY.

When I run this I get a report that lists the same files on both the
'Missing Files' and 'Extra Files' tabs, which seems odd.  What are these
lists actually showing me?

Thanks.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Media manager functionality

Rich Lakey
I have 1600+ media files
Several years ago I decided having all my media files in Gallery was a kludge. So I created 17 sub directories such as Marriage Documents, Maps, Military Records, etc.
I moved many objects from Gallery to Gallery/Census, etc.
With the posts on "Relative v Absolute media paths" I decided this is what I have been wanting to do, but afraid to tackle.
I used the "media manager"to change from a absolute to relative media path.
In preferences Base Path for relative media paths I entered ...../...../Gallery
Then with media manager I changed absolute to relative path
I found perhaps 10 to 15 % of media objects still had the absolute path.
Investigating I found these media objects were all added between October and December of 2012 according to the Last Changed date.
I was on my previous computer then and I have no idea what version of Gramps or what my settings were, but I know I never had set a relative media path.
I chose to correct those in error manually by removing the path .../Gallery from the media entry.
Now when I run Media Verify I get many hundreds of media objects listed as duplicate files. As they are not duplicates and this must refer to the MD5 being duplicated, I think my question is how do I erase the MD5 checksum and do the md5 checksum generate over? If that is not possible, I think it is possible to ignore this error as there doesn't seem to be any problems with my media. I am going to do more research to verify I have no problems with displaying my media properly.
Rich

On 12/29/2016 01:58 PM, J. Allen Crider wrote:
While I haven't used the verify tool very much and haven't seen this, my
suspicion would be that you renamed a directory and/or moved some files
within your media tree without updating the paths in Gramps.

On 12/29/2016 05:33 AM, Martnal wrote:
>From the menu bar, TOOLS - UTILITIES - MEDIA VERIFY - VERIFY.

When I run this I get a report that lists the same files on both the
'Missing Files' and 'Extra Files' tabs, which seems odd.  What are these
lists actually showing me?

Thanks.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Media manager functionality

Rich Lakey
I think I found the cause of Media Verify finding hundreds of duplicate checksums.
In a couple of cases I found I left an image in Gallery and put a copy in Gallery/Grave Markers. I should have deleted the copy in Gallery.
BUT the most common cause is I have two copies of the same image intentionally. These are images of a stone that has both the husband and wife on them. I name one copy with the wifes info and one with the husbands info.
/home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19930709-Bernadine H Slater Nutt born 19250730 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0002.jpg
/home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19810709-William E Nutt born 19230304 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0001.jpg
Gramps Media Verify Does not work in this instance. I'm sure Gramps was meant to have just one copy of the image, but then I would not be able to have my naming convention: date of death, name including maiden, date of birth, cemetery name location
I would be interested in how others name an image of a stone containing husband and wife.
The above example is of two images that have not been moved to Gallery/Grave Markers yet.
Rich

On 12/29/2016 10:29 PM, Rich wrote:
I have 1600+ media files
Several years ago I decided having all my media files in Gallery was a kludge. So I created 17 sub directories such as Marriage Documents, Maps, Military Records, etc.
I moved many objects from Gallery to Gallery/Census, etc.
With the posts on "Relative v Absolute media paths" I decided this is what I have been wanting to do, but afraid to tackle.
I used the "media manager"to change from a absolute to relative media path.
In preferences Base Path for relative media paths I entered ...../...../Gallery
Then with media manager I changed absolute to relative path
I found perhaps 10 to 15 % of media objects still had the absolute path.
Investigating I found these media objects were all added between October and December of 2012 according to the Last Changed date.
I was on my previous computer then and I have no idea what version of Gramps or what my settings were, but I know I never had set a relative media path.
I chose to correct those in error manually by removing the path .../Gallery from the media entry.
Now when I run Media Verify I get many hundreds of media objects listed as duplicate files. As they are not duplicates and this must refer to the MD5 being duplicated, I think my question is how do I erase the MD5 checksum and do the md5 checksum generate over? If that is not possible, I think it is possible to ignore this error as there doesn't seem to be any problems with my media. I am going to do more research to verify I have no problems with displaying my media properly.
Rich

On 12/29/2016 01:58 PM, J. Allen Crider wrote:
While I haven't used the verify tool very much and haven't seen this, my
suspicion would be that you renamed a directory and/or moved some files
within your media tree without updating the paths in Gramps.

On 12/29/2016 05:33 AM, Martnal wrote:
>From the menu bar, TOOLS - UTILITIES - MEDIA VERIFY - VERIFY.

When I run this I get a report that lists the same files on both the
'Missing Files' and 'Extra Files' tabs, which seems odd.  What are these
lists actually showing me?

Thanks.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Have you backed up your files today?

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Media manager functionality

Rich Lakey
Another thing that made this difficult to find was the narrow view of Media Verify let me only see the first image name and not that there was a second. Only after exporting the duplicate file and looking at it did I realize it was showing me the names of two images and then I could see immediately the relationship.

NdK

Il 30/12/2016 19:37, Rich ha scritto:

> I would be interested in how others name an image of a stone containing
> husband and wife.
I usually place 'em under media/path/to/cemetery/DSCNxxxx.JPG : I
consider the cemetery a "repository" and leave the same name the camera
used (unless it conflicts with an existing one, in that case I add '(2)'
to the name). Another naming convention could simply be just a
sequential number.

I usually don't need to manually search an image so the "metadata"
you're putting in the name wouldn't be useful anyway, since it's already
included in Gramps. Moreover, if you later find that the name or a date
was wrong, you have to rename the file, edit the media object and
correct the real data -- just because you're using a denormalized
database...

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: Media manager functionality

Symlinks to the (kinda) rescue!!!

On 12/30/2016 12:37 PM, Rich wrote:

> I think I found the cause of Media Verify finding hundreds of duplicate
> checksums.
> In a couple of cases I found I left an image in Gallery and put a copy in
> Gallery/Grave Markers. I should have deleted the copy in Gallery.
> BUT the most common cause is I have two copies of the same image
> intentionally. These are images of a stone that has both the husband and
> wife on them. I name one copy with the wifes info and one with the
> husbands info.
> /home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19930709-Bernadine H
> Slater Nutt born 19250730 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0002.jpg
> /home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19810709-William E
> Nutt born 19230304 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0001.jpg
> Gramps Media Verify Does not work in this instance. I'm sure Gramps was
> meant to have just one copy of the image, but then I would not be able to
> have my naming convention: date of death, name including maiden, date of
> birth, cemetery name location
> I would be interested in how others name an image of a stone containing
> husband and wife.
> The above example is of two images that have not been moved to
> Gallery/Grave Markers yet.
> Rich

Re: Media manager functionality

Hi Rich

By making duplicates of the raw grave marker image, Media Verify will keep coming up with those as duplicates.

You can create separate media object records that all point to the same raw image file. Media Verify is okay with that. Each of these will have their own Title lines and each can be cropped for the individual's portion of the stone.

I just have one image, one media record and attach the same media to all the people listed. But we each do it our own way.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

While I haven't used the verify tool very much and haven't seen this, my
suspicion would be that you renamed a directory and/or moved some files
within your media tree without updating the paths in Gramps.

On 12/29/2016 05:33 AM, Martnal wrote:
>From the menu bar, TOOLS - UTILITIES - MEDIA VERIFY - VERIFY.

When I run this I get a report that lists the same files on both the
'Missing Files' and 'Extra Files' tabs, which seems odd.  What are these
lists actually showing me?

Thanks.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

paul womack
Rich wrote:
> I think I found the cause of Media Verify finding hundreds of duplicate checksums.
> In a couple of cases I found I left an image in Gallery and put a copy in Gallery/Grave Markers. I should have deleted the copy in Gallery.
> BUT the most common cause is I have two copies of the same image intentionally. These are images of a stone that has both the husband and wife on them. I name one copy with the wifes info and one with the husbands info.
> /home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19930709-Bernadine H Slater Nutt born 19250730 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0002.jpg
> /home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19810709-William E Nutt born 19230304 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0001.jpg
> Gramps Media Verify Does not work in this instance. I'm sure Gramps was meant to have just one copy of the image, but then I would not be able to have my naming convention: date of death, name including maiden, date of birth, cemetery name location
> I would be interested in how others name an image of a stone containing husband and wife.
> The above example is of two images that have not been moved to Gallery/Grave Markers yet.

You must end up with a lot of copies of Wedding group shots!!!

  BugBear

Re: Media manager functionality

Doug-11
On 03/01/17 09:11, paul womack wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>> I think I found the cause of Media Verify finding hundreds of duplicate checksums.
>> In a couple of cases I found I left an image in Gallery and put a copy in Gallery/Grave Markers. I should have deleted the copy in Gallery.
>> BUT the most common cause is I have two copies of the same image intentionally. These are images of a stone that has both the husband and wife on them. I name one copy with the wifes info and one with the husbands info.
>> /home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19930709-Bernadine H Slater Nutt born 19250730 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0002.jpg
>> /home/loveafair65/Our Documents/Gramps/Lakey/Gallery/19810709-William E Nutt born 19230304 Graceland Cemetery Quincy Illinois 0001.jpg
>> Gramps Media Verify Does not work in this instance. I'm sure Gramps was meant to have just one copy of the image, but then I would not be able to have my naming convention: date of death, name including maiden, date of birth, cemetery name location
>> I would be interested in how others name an image of a stone containing husband and wife.
>> The above example is of two images that have not been moved to Gallery/Grave Markers yet.
> You must end up with a lot of copies of Wedding group shots!!!
>
>    BugBear
Does the Photo-tagging gramplet have any relevance here?
Certainly is a life-saver for wedding groups!

Doug

Doug wrote:
> Does the Photo-tagging gramplet have any relevance here? Certainly is a life-saver for wedding groups!
>
> Doug

Looks interesting; how does it represent the tags (in terms of Gramps data structures) ?

  BugBear

On 10/01/17 08:54, paul womack wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>> Does the Photo-tagging gramplet have any relevance here?
>> Certainly is a life-saver for wedding groups!
>>
>> Doug
>
> Looks interesting; how does it represent the tags (in terms
> of Gramps data structures) ?
>
>  BugBear

Don't know, I'm afraid.
The person who could certainly tell you is Doug Blank  - to
whom infinite thanks! He had most to do with the development
and debugging of Photo-tagging.
AFAICT nobody has taken over responsibility for the gramplet
and it's unfortunately starting to creak in the current
gramps version (4.2.5), more's the pity.

Doug

Re: Media manager functionality

On 10/01/17 08:54, paul womack wrote:
> Looks interesting; how does it represent the tags (in terms of Gramps data structures) ?

The photo tagging gramplet uses media references in person objects.  It
displays all media references for a given media object and allows you to
add and edit them.

Nick Hall wrote:
> On 10/01/17 08:54, paul womack wrote:
>> Looks interesting; how does it represent the tags (in terms of Gramps data structures) ?
>
> The photo tagging gramplet uses media references in person objects.

Ah - the gallery tab, you mean?

>  It
> displays all media references for a given media object and allows you to
> add and edit them.
>
> Nick.

Re: Media manager functionality

Nick Hall
On 10/01/17 13:44, paul womack wrote:
The photo tagging gramplet uses media references in person objects.

Ah - the gallery tab, you mean?

Yes.  Each rectangle in the photo tagging gramplet corresponds to one entry in a person's gallery tab.

On 10/01/17 13:24, Doug Blank wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Doug
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/01/17 08:54, paul womack wrote:
>     > Doug wrote:
>     >> Does the Photo-tagging gramplet have any relevance here?
>     >> Certainly is a life-saver for wedding groups!
>     >>
>     >> Doug
>     >
>     > Looks interesting; how does it represent the tags (in terms
>     > of Gramps data structures) ?
>     >
>     >Â  BugBear
>     >
>     >
>     Don't know, I'm afraid.
>     The person who could certainly tell you is Doug Blank  - to
>     whom infinite thanks! He had most to do with the development
>     and debugging of Photo-tagging.
>     AFAICT nobody has taken over responsibility for the gramplet
>     and it's unfortunately starting to creak in the current
>     gramps version (4.2.5), more's the pity.
>

> There are many others that created the gramplet, and help
> maintain it... I merely recognized its importance, and
> helped refine it.
>
> In my opinion, this should be moved in to Gramps core code.
> It makes dealing with shared images with regions infinitely
> better.

+1

  (In fact, such utility is planned for gPrime [1]).

> But to answer BugBear's question: the Photo Tagging manages
> Media references (links between people and image regions).
> "Tag" is probably the wrong word to use, but is meant in the
> "facebook" manner... identifying someone in the photo.
>
> So, it uses all standard Gramps data structures (mediaref).
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> -Doug
>
> [1] -Â https://genealogycollective.wordpress.com/

>     Doug

Doug

On 10/01/17 14:47, Nick Hall wrote:
On 10/01/17 13:44, paul womack wrote:
The photo tagging gramplet uses media references in person objects.

Ah - the gallery tab, you mean?

Yes.  Each rectangle in the photo tagging gramplet corresponds to one entry in a person's gallery tab.

Nick.

Nick, is there any chance of it getting incorporated into core and being kept up to date?

Doug