Media manager in v5

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Media manager in v5

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Hello, I have several questions, which are all closely connected so I have
grouped them together.  I have spent some much-needed time trying to
thoroughly get to grips with the subtleties of media manager in Gramps 5.0.

I still have a couple of questions as I occasionally get unexpected results
on my test database.

1. I use relative locations as this seems to be strongly recommended. If I
try to import all media items not currently in the database, it doesn't
import docx files, which I use for transcribing long documents. Is this a
feature or a bug?  I can manually select and import them.

2. My more serious problem is that sometimes the program doesn't seem to be
aware of the media items which I have already imported, and so I end up with
many duplicates which I then have to delete.  I can't always replicate this
problem, but I never know when it is going to happen.  Also, I sometimes see
the 'Affected path' listed twice, once with a capital letter for the drive
designation and also with a lower case letter.  Should that happen?

3. Once the ID number exceeds three digits, it doesn't sort them correctly.
They are not sorted in true numeric order but in alphabetical order.  I
don't have a lot of media items, but after adding and removing them
frequently, the ID is up to over O999.

4. If I import a media item manually it appears with the drive letter in the
path column. Is this normal?  I know I can either edit it manually or
replace the drive letter part of the string with nothing.

5. I've also noticed that since I did all this experimentation, the list of databases doesn't appear when I first start GRAMPS.  The "Base path for relative media paths" value has disappeared, previously E:\
I can access my files using "Open Recent", but even if I add E:\ as the base path, it the immediately disappears.

Martin



-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
Gramps-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin,

I have never used any of the built in tools to batch add media files
so cannot speak to most of your post however....

2. Media Verify does not still recognize media files that have been
edited after they have been added to Gramps and will report the media
as missing. This happens to me if I crop an image after having added
its media record to Gramps. The checksums do not agree.  I do not know
if this is happening to you. Media Verify can fix these issues. Check
and Repair also updates checksums.

3, To bring your ID numbers into line, you can run the Reorder Gramps
ID tool. You can set it to only run on your media records. You can
increase the length of the ID's (I set all my ID's to 6 digits) but
you can also resequence the numbers. But be careful because the
current order of items will probably not be the resulting order. The
list of items will be scrambled. For this reason, I never run this
tool option on my people list. The other parts of the database it does
not really matter what its ID is just so long it is unique. But some
user filters rely on IDs and tools like GetGOV rely on their place
ID's  So absolutely make sure you have a backup before resequencing in
case your results are not what you expected.

4 When adding a media record, is the checkbox "Convert to a relative
path" checked? With this checked, the media base path set in
Preferences should be stripped from the media's path field. Unchecked
and the full path is added.

HTH Dave

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 8:06 AM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello, I have several questions, which are all closely connected so I have
> grouped them together.  I have spent some much-needed time trying to
> thoroughly get to grips with the subtleties of media manager in Gramps 5.0.
>
> I still have a couple of questions as I occasionally get unexpected results
> on my test database.
>
> 1. I use relative locations as this seems to be strongly recommended. If I
> try to import all media items not currently in the database, it doesn't
> import docx files, which I use for transcribing long documents. Is this a
> feature or a bug?  I can manually select and import them.
>
> 2. My more serious problem is that sometimes the program doesn't seem to be
> aware of the media items which I have already imported, and so I end up with
> many duplicates which I then have to delete.  I can't always replicate this
> problem, but I never know when it is going to happen.  Also, I sometimes see
> the 'Affected path' listed twice, once with a capital letter for the drive
> designation and also with a lower case letter.  Should that happen?
>
> 3. Once the ID number exceeds three digits, it doesn't sort them correctly.
> They are not sorted in true numeric order but in alphabetical order.  I
> don't have a lot of media items, but after adding and removing them
> frequently, the ID is up to over O999.
>
> 4. If I import a media item manually it appears with the drive letter in the
> path column. Is this normal?  I know I can either edit it manually or
> replace the drive letter part of the string with nothing.
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

enno
In reply to this post by Martnal
Hi Martin,

> 1. I use relative locations as this seems to be strongly recommended. If I
> try to import all media items not currently in the database, it doesn't
> import docx files, which I use for transcribing long documents. Is this a
> feature or a bug?  I can manually select and import them.
I can't tell if it's a feature or a bug, but one can argue that for
Windows DOCX should be added to the list of known formats. In other
words, if that's what you want, I suggets that you add a feature request.
> 2. My more serious problem is that sometimes the program doesn't seem to be
> aware of the media items which I have already imported, and so I end up with
> many duplicates which I then have to delete.  I can't always replicate this
> problem, but I never know when it is going to happen.  Also, I sometimes see
> the 'Affected path' listed twice, once with a capital letter for the drive
> designation and also with a lower case letter.  Should that happen?
No. If we want Gramps to be accepted as serious Windows application, it
must ignore case in paths, and also be flexible with forward and
backward slashes.
> 3. Once the ID number exceeds three digits, it doesn't sort them correctly.
> They are not sorted in true numeric order but in alphabetical order.  I
> don't have a lot of media items, but after adding and removing them
> frequently, the ID is up to over O999.
That's a feature, sort of. IDs are partly treated as strings, meaning
that a user can put anything there. One can argue that when they end
with a number, sorting should still be numeric within the prefix set.
> 4. If I import a media item manually it appears with the drive letter in the
> path column. Is this normal?  I know I can either edit it manually or
> replace the drive letter part of the string with nothing.

The media selector has a "Convert to a relative path" check box at the
bottom. If you check that, you should be OK, and I hope your choice is
remembered. I see no way to set its default in Preferences.

Regards,

Enno




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Martnal
Dave and Emno, thank you, I've never noticed that checkbox before!

What about my #5? I've changed a lot of things in my experiments, is there
an alternative to reimporting my 4 databases?

Dave, how do you know so much?! What have you learned from, apart from the
documentation?

Martin



-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

enno
Hi Martin,

> What about my #5? I've changed a lot of things in my experiments, is there
> an alternative to reimporting my 4 databases?

H'm, looks like my brain switched off after replying to your #4.

Please check your database path in Preferences. Default is somewhere in
AppData\Roaming, I think, but if you changed it in Gramps 4.2, it might
be that the new install of Gramps 5.0 didn't find it. That sounds quite
odd to me, but each major version has its own settings, and they might
not have been copied from the previous one.

Since I don't normally run Gramps 5.0 on Windows, this is a bit of a
guess, but I suggest that you check the path in Preferences, and change
it if you previously moved your grampsdb folder to another place. You
might need to let Windows search for it, maybe even tell it to look
inside hidden folders, and once you have it, create a backup of the
whole folder in your favorite manner. You'll know that you have the
right one if it has 4 or more numbered folders inside.

You may need the backup, because Gramps 5.0 will probably upgrade the
database to the latest BSDDB version, and once it's done that, you can't
read it with 4.2.

Regards,

Enno




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Bill Gee
In reply to this post by enno
I have a few thoughts on this...

Linux users are able to use DOCX files just as easily as Windows users.  LibreOffice does a nice job of viewing even the latest Microsoft Office files.  The only real problems are Access databases and Excel spreadsheets that depend on addins.  There is probably not much application for either feature in the context of Gramps, so I don't think it is an issue.

I would like to see a previewer for PDF files in Linux versions.  

Case-sensitivity is a real problem.  Linux users like me need it, but in Windows it is a foreign concept.  I don't have any good suggestions on how to deal with it.  I think it is a problem only if you are moving databases and media between Linux and Windows systems.  At least the Windows file systems will preserve case even if they do not use it.

I agree that the system needs to tolerate forward vs. backward slashes in pathnames.  As I recall, Windows sort of has that built-in, depending on the API calls that are used.  The answer here might be to store pathnames with one or the other in the database, then convert as needed before submitting to the operating system.

--
Bill Gee



On Saturday, April 6, 2019 5:53:29 AM CDT Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> > 1. I use relative locations as this seems to be strongly recommended. If I
> > try to import all media items not currently in the database, it doesn't
> > import docx files, which I use for transcribing long documents. Is this a
> > feature or a bug?  I can manually select and import them.
> I can't tell if it's a feature or a bug, but one can argue that for
> Windows DOCX should be added to the list of known formats. In other
> words, if that's what you want, I suggets that you add a feature request.
> > 2. My more serious problem is that sometimes the program doesn't seem to be
> > aware of the media items which I have already imported, and so I end up with
> > many duplicates which I then have to delete.  I can't always replicate this
> > problem, but I never know when it is going to happen.  Also, I sometimes see
> > the 'Affected path' listed twice, once with a capital letter for the drive
> > designation and also with a lower case letter.  Should that happen?
> No. If we want Gramps to be accepted as serious Windows application, it
> must ignore case in paths, and also be flexible with forward and
> backward slashes.
> > 3. Once the ID number exceeds three digits, it doesn't sort them correctly.
> > They are not sorted in true numeric order but in alphabetical order.  I
> > don't have a lot of media items, but after adding and removing them
> > frequently, the ID is up to over O999.
> That's a feature, sort of. IDs are partly treated as strings, meaning
> that a user can put anything there. One can argue that when they end
> with a number, sorting should still be numeric within the prefix set.
> > 4. If I import a media item manually it appears with the drive letter in the
> > path column. Is this normal?  I know I can either edit it manually or
> > replace the drive letter part of the string with nothing.
>
> The media selector has a "Convert to a relative path" check box at the
> bottom. If you check that, you should be OK, and I hope your choice is
> remembered. I see no way to set its default in Preferences.
>
> Regards,
>
> Enno
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org
>






_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

enno
Op 06-04-19 om 17:17 schreef Bill Gee:
> Linux users are able to use DOCX files just as easily as Windows users.  LibreOffice does a nice job of viewing even the latest Microsoft Office files.  The only real problems are Access databases and Excel spreadsheets that depend on addins.  There is probably not much application for either feature in the context of Gramps, so I don't think it is an issue.
Right. I don't create DOCX files on Linux myself, but if a cousin sends
one, it makes sense that Gramps can add it automatically. I don't use
that part of the media manager myself, but support a change request to
add DOCX files anyway.
> Case-sensitivity is a real problem.  Linux users like me need it, but in Windows it is a foreign concept.  I don't have any good suggestions on how to deal with it.  I think it is a problem only if you are moving databases and media between Linux and Windows systems.  At least the Windows file systems will preserve case even if they do not use it.
Software wise, the easiest way is to use case insensitive functions for
all path comparisons. Right now, we probably have a situation where this
part is inconsistent, and that needs to be cured. I also think that it's
helpful if Gramps can detect 'duplicate' paths on Linux too, and OS-X,
because it prevents errors when importing a backup with media.
> I agree that the system needs to tolerate forward vs. backward slashes in pathnames.  As I recall, Windows sort of has that built-in, depending on the API calls that are used.  The answer here might be to store pathnames with one or the other in the database, then convert as needed before submitting to the operating system.

With Gramps' roots on Linux, it may indeed help if we store all paths
with forward slashes, and let Windows handle all conversions. OTOH,
Windows users may get confused when they see them, and I've seen people
wanting to correct them, which is useless.

Regards,

Enno




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Martnal
In reply to this post by Bill Gee
Enno, my path is

E:\Documents\Genealogy\Gramps\

But it just isn't seeing them, unless I use the "Open Recent" option.  I'm
not sure what to do.

Martin



-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

enno
Hi Martin,

> Enno, my path is
>
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\Gramps\
>
> But it just isn't seeing them, unless I use the "Open Recent" option.  I'm
> not sure what to do.

Is there a grampsdb folder in there? If so, you should change the path
in Preferences accordingly. In my setup, that path is in the 2nd tab,
and it reads:

> C:\Users\ennob\AppData\Roaming\gramps\grampsdb
I say it's in the 2nd tab, because I run Gramps in Dutch, so I don't
know the English UI names.

The above suggests that you need the path directly above the numbered
folders.

Cheers,

Enno




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Dave Scheipers
In reply to this post by Martnal
Hi Martin

Two things to check the status on, both in Preferences

In the General Tab, make sure the Media  path is set.

In the Family Tree (second tab ), set the path for the database AND
check the box to automatically load the last family Tree.

And while there, make sure the Backup folder and settings are to your liking.

HTH Dave


On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 1:57 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Enno, my path is
>
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\Gramps\
>
> But it just isn't seeing them, unless I use the "Open Recent" option.  I'm
> not sure what to do.
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Martnal
I will try recent suggestions in the morning. The last thing I tried this
evening was creating a new database. It has created it in the correct folder
and shows it on the menu each time I start Gramps, but it doesn't seem to
recognise the other four real databases and the Test database. I would
imagine that somewhere there is a record of the databases that the initial
screen should show.

Martin



-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Dave Scheipers
The only other thing I can think of is that the other four databases
are in the Gramps default database location, In Windows it is:

c:\user\username\appdata\roaming\gramps\grampsdb

In the Database directory, either the one you created or the default
above, there will be generically named folders that contain each
gramps database. Within each of these folders will be a text file
"name.txt" that will contain the name of the database as you named it.
If there, you can move the entire database folder(s) to the new
location.

Dave

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 5:48 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I will try recent suggestions in the morning. The last thing I tried this
> evening was creating a new database. It has created it in the correct folder
> and shows it on the menu each time I start Gramps, but it doesn't seem to
> recognise the other four real databases and the Test database. I would
> imagine that somewhere there is a record of the databases that the initial
> screen should show.
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

enno
In reply to this post by Martnal
Hi Martin,

> I will try recent suggestions in the morning. The last thing I tried this
> evening was creating a new database. It has created it in the correct folder
> and shows it on the menu each time I start Gramps, but it doesn't seem to
> recognise the other four real databases and the Test database. I would
> imagine that somewhere there is a record of the databases that the initial
> screen should show.

There is none. When Gramps is installed on a new machine, it creates a
grampsdb folder in the place mentioned by Dave, and this also seems to
happen when you install 5.0, which doesn't seem to read the 4.2
settings. Now, when you don't change these in Preferences, the Family
Tree Manager, what you call the initial screen, will scan all folders
inside that grampsdb, and list all trees found there, including their
name, which is stored in name.txt, and database type.

For you, the result is that you now have two (or more) grampsdb folders,
including your old one on E:. And now it's up to you to merge these, and
make sure that no actual database is overwritten. You will also have to
make sure that the database path in Preferences is set to the proper
grampsdb folder.

Note that, when you change the database folder, your add-ons and
settings will still be in their standard locations. They can be changed,
but there is no way to do that in Preferences, because that creates a
chicken and egg problem, being where to read the Preferences from.

Hope this helps a bit. When you use Gramps in a non standard way, it's
up to you to keep track of your files, and make sure that all settings
are OK.

Regards,

Enno




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Martnal
Enno, Dave and any others,

My original path was

E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\

Last week I briefly changed it to just E:\

I have now returned to

E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\


One thing I did notice is that the base path needs a final backslash.

I can see a database, called 'XXX', but none of the others.

Under GRAMPS I have a folder '5caa6e3a' which is the new one.  How can I
find the names of the missing ones?  They must be SOMEWHERE as I can get
them via the "Open Recent" option.

I can't see any of the others.  Do I have any alternative but to use the
"Open Recent" option, open each of my databases, save them with media, the
create new ones and import each one?


Martin



-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin

If you are seeing the files in the Open Recent list, then open the XML file

c:\user\yourusername\appdata\roaming\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml

This file contains the information that supplies the Open recent list.
It contains the path of the database, the name you have given it and a
time stamp.

Dave

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 9:22 AM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Enno, Dave and any others,
>
> My original path was
>
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\
>
> Last week I briefly changed it to just E:\
>
> I have now returned to
>
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\
>
>
> One thing I did notice is that the base path needs a final backslash.
>
> I can see a database, called 'XXX', but none of the others.
>
> Under GRAMPS I have a folder '5caa6e3a' which is the new one.  How can I
> find the names of the missing ones?  They must be SOMEWHERE as I can get
> them via the "Open Recent" option.
>
> I can't see any of the others.  Do I have any alternative but to use the
> "Open Recent" option, open each of my databases, save them with media, the
> create new ones and import each one?
>
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Martnal
Dave, I am making progress.  I read what you said on 7th, but couldn't find

c:\user\username\appdata\roaming\gramps\grampsdb

I found

C:\Users\Martin\

But there was no AppData.

By searching for "recent-files-gramps.xml" and finding it, I realised that
the AppData folder is hidden, which is why I couldn't navigate to it.

I use E:\ for my data, so I don't understand how the files were on C:\ my
Windows SOLID STATE boot disk.  

Now, in the C:\......\grampsdb folder I have found the five databases with
the names like 5ca6115e.  They each have a file called 'name' holding my
name for each one.  

Do I just now copy those folders and all the contents to my gramps folder on
the E:\ drive?  Will Gramps then automatically see them next time I load it,
or is there something else to do first?

I don't understand how my experiments could have moved them to the C:\
drive.

I think I am almost sorted.  I am very grateful for the support.  After most
of my career being a product expert for various companies, I can't believe
how much I struggle with GRAMPS.

Martin



-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin

I should have warned you that Appdata was hidden. I "un-hid" my folder
a long time ago.

Gramps automatically creates and uses the \appdata\roaming\gramps
folders to automatically store all the user files for gramps. All your
addins/gramplets are stored there. How you configure your views....
report settings.... image thumbnails... etc.

You CAN change where these files are created and stored.

I tried it a while ago but because two profiles on the computer were
using the same settings, it was a mess.  But to do it you need to set
GRAMPSHOME

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#GRAMPSHOME

https://www.howtogeek.com/51807/how-to-create-and-use-global-system-environment-variables/

Once you have GRAMPSHOME set, you can delete \appdata\roaming\gramps
(saving the database folders) and then doing a reinstall of Gramps. To
be safe you may need to do a windows reboot. (Its been awhile since I
tinkered with this). You can try saving all the files in
\appdata\roaming\gramps and moving them to the new location. If not,
Gramps will automatically recreate them.

Good luck, Dave

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 1:20 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Dave, I am making progress.  I read what you said on 7th, but couldn't find
>
> c:\user\username\appdata\roaming\gramps\grampsdb
>
> I found
>
> C:\Users\Martin\
>
> But there was no AppData.
>
> By searching for "recent-files-gramps.xml" and finding it, I realised that
> the AppData folder is hidden, which is why I couldn't navigate to it.
>
> I use E:\ for my data, so I don't understand how the files were on C:\ my
> Windows SOLID STATE boot disk.
>
> Now, in the C:\......\grampsdb folder I have found the five databases with
> the names like 5ca6115e.  They each have a file called 'name' holding my
> name for each one.
>
> Do I just now copy those folders and all the contents to my gramps folder on
> the E:\ drive?  Will Gramps then automatically see them next time I load it,
> or is there something else to do first?
>
> I don't understand how my experiments could have moved them to the C:\
> drive.
>
> I think I am almost sorted.  I am very grateful for the support.  After most
> of my career being a product expert for various companies, I can't believe
> how much I struggle with GRAMPS.
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Martnal
Dave, I will unhide mine!

Do I just now copy those 5abdba folders and all the contents to my gramps
folder on the E:\ drive?

I think I am breathing again.  thanks.

Martin



-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Martin, 

Windows has a simplified path options that you can leverage without unhiding the folder AND without knowing the logged in username.

They are simplified by using one of the standard environmental variables instead of the absolute full path. (Forward & backslashes are interchangeable in Windows paths as is CapiTaLizatIon.)

In this case:
%appdata%/gramps/grampsdb

When used in the GUI, these variables are immediately swapped for the absolute path value that they represent.

-Brian

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 13:16, Martnal
Dave, I will unhide mine!

Do I just now copy those 5abdba folders and all the contents to my gramps
folder on the E:\ drive?

I think I am breathing again.  thanks.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Media manager in v5

Dave Scheipers
In reply to this post by Martnal
You can try moving the folders and edit recent-files-gramps.xml to
reflect the change in the path name. Or....

The surest and safest way would be to open each of these files in turn
using the Recent Open as you have been doing. Make a .gramps (xml) no
media backup of each database. Then use Manage Family Trees to create
a new database for each of these databases and then import each backup
into their new home. All of these new databases will be in the
database directory you set in Preferences.

Once done, you can delete them from \appdata\roaming\gramps\grampsdb

I would also delete the \gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml

Gramps will recreate the file as you use Manage Family Trees to open
each database in turn for the first time.

Think safe file management, Dave


On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:15 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Dave, I will unhide mine!
>
> Do I just now copy those 5abdba folders and all the contents to my gramps
> folder on the E:\ drive?
>
> I think I am breathing again.  thanks.
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
12