Merge of Swedish translation.

P. Ekholm
You have today merged my Swedish translations to master from gramps50. Why isn't the information on the top of the file with my name etc as last translator also included? In the merged file is the earlier translator included but not me, why is that? Or must I do a pull request for that again? Only wondering.

Pär Ekholm.
--
Skickat från min Android-enhet med K-9 Mail. Ursäkta min fåordighet.

Re: Merge of Swedish translation.

prculley

I apologize.  I recently changed the way I merge .po files.  The original way was to use the ‘git merge’ without modification.  But for .po files, this usually creates hundreds or even thousands of conflicts, that have to be manually resolved.  I had found another mechanism to perform the merge as detailed below, however it appears to ignore changes in the header region.  It looks like I will have to try to figure out if that tool can be modified to deal with the header information.

Paul C.

I just completed another merge into master.

I am sending this email because I have found another way to deal with merging the .po files.

After poking around the internet a bit I found https://github.com/mezis/git-whistles/blob/master/libexec/git-merge-po.sh

which is a script that can be integrated into git to perform the po files merge better.  It does a proper 3-way merge, but only on the 'important' data.  Getting it integrated with git is described here https://github.com/mezis/git-whistles/blob/master/README.md

I tried it out a couple of times with some test cases to see how it worked before using it on our master branch.  The upside; it performs a MUCH cleaner merge with few conflicts, since it basically ignores changes in the comments concerning source module/line number, or in string breaks in the actual msgid/msgstr.

One downside, you cannot use a normal 'git mergetool' kdiff3 or similar on the .po afterword, since that basically ignores the work the script does.  So before I ran 'git mergetool' I had to use a text editor on the conflicted .po files, and search for the "#-#-#-#" sequence that indicated a conflict, and check to make sure it was reasonably dealt with.  There were a few that were flagged due to manual comments added in the .po, which could be ignored.  This time around I only found a single conflict that was real, and easily dealt with.

Once the .po conflicts are dealt with, I 'git add'ed them and then used the 'git mergetool' (which I have configured to run kdiff3) to deal with everything else.

A much easier (and safer) process than the last time I did this.

Paul C.

Re: Merge of Swedish translation.

P. Ekholm
Thanks for your answer! Yes this a problem for sure. It can be dealt with manually. But that isn't a proper solution for the future. Hope you can fix it, I would be glad. I don't know if I can be to any help though. For now I can't, it is Christmas and I'm not at home.

Regards
Pär Ekholm

Paul Culley <[hidden email]> skrev: (24 december 2018 15:50:36 CET)