Quantcast

Messed up family when importing two GED trees

Messed up family when importing two GED trees

ceperman
I've had a problem creating a tree by merging two existing trees, imported in GED format. The problem is that two families that are separated by 5 generations get mixed together.

The two family trees are W and T. The two family trees are joined in family W0 where a W marries a T, so this and all subsequent generations are duplicated in both trees. The problem occurs between family W1 (the husband is a child of W0) and family T-4 (4 generations before W0); specifically, the spouses of family T-4
do not show as married to each other, but both as married to the husband of W1 (duplicate from the T import). The children of both marriages show as belonging to W1.

The problem only occurs if I load family W first, then family T. If I do it the other way around, everything appears to be OK.

I'm guessing that the problem is somehow caused by the fact that the marriage T-4 is between first cousins, so there is a circularity in the tree. I know marriage between first cousins is unusual but something that I think is (should be) handled correctly by Gramps.

I'm using Gramps 3.3.1-1 on Linux Mint - this is the current version in the repository. I'm new to Gramps - does this look like a bug, or something I could be doing wrong?

Re: Messed up family when importing two GED trees

Benny Malengier

You should post a bug on the bug tracker http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/my_view_page.php

However, Gramps 3.3 is no longer supported. You can download the debian package of 3.4 from our Download page. Please first try with that version before posting a bug.

Normally, gedcom imports are independent, that is, in gramps they will obtain all their own Gramps ID, and things should be as in the GED. A lot of gedcom out there does not satisfy correctly the gedcom standard though....

Greetings
Benny

2014-01-27 ceperman <[hidden email]>:
[...]

I was going by the recommendation on the download page to stick with the version available in the Linux distribution. However, following your post I downloaded and installed 3.4.7-3 and the bug appears to have gone. Great!

So, good result and many thanks for your help.

Chris

Benny Malengier wrote