Messing up the name editor

Patrick Gerlier
Hi all,

Using a lot the name editor to record alternate names, but I happened to
start typing too fast.

When the dialog opens, the cursor is inside the name type text box/menu
combo I thus entered several times a first name here without noticing my
error (I look at the keyboard instead of the screen) until too late.

I took time recently to fix the alternate names and no name record now
references the wrong name types. However they are still in the drop down
menu. I quit and reopened Gramps to make sure.

I'd like to clean the name type menu removing the erroneous types I
entered. I can't find where the parameters are stored. I went through
the hidden directories of my Linux Fedora/MATE box (.config, .gconf,
.gconfd, .gramps, .local) but couldn't make out where the information is
located.

I exported the DB as XML. I saw that alternate names are translated as
<name alt="1" type="name_type">…</name>. Nowhere is there any table
defining an encoding for the type. I suppose that removing the type
entries is harmless, at least in the XML (cannot tell for the "native"
format).

I assume that importing from the XML would solve the issue but I would
lose the last-modified timestamps.

How can I clear the name type menu?

Regards,
Patrick

Re: Messing up the name editor

Dave Scheipers
Hi Patrick

This happens to all of us. The only way to remove these old errors
from drop-down option lists is to do a clean import.

Create a new database, then import the most recent backup. Once you
are satisfied that everything imported correctly (I've never had an
issue) you can delete the old database and rename the new to it's
usual name.

You might want to check other drop-down lists to see if there are
other "errors". I do this once every few months to keep everything
tidy. One of my common errors is I start typing to select another
option and instead of actually making the selection of the options
starting with the typed letter, just the letter gets set a new custom
entry.

Dave

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 6:22 AM Patrick Gerlier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Using a lot the name editor to record alternate names, but I happened to
> start typing too fast.
>
> When the dialog opens, the cursor is inside the name type text box/menu
> combo I thus entered several times a first name here without noticing my
> error (I look at the keyboard instead of the screen) until too late.
>
> I took time recently to fix the alternate names and no name record now
> references the wrong name types. However they are still in the drop down
> menu. I quit and reopened Gramps to make sure.
>
> I'd like to clean the name type menu removing the erroneous types I
> entered. I can't find where the parameters are stored. I went through
> the hidden directories of my Linux Fedora/MATE box (.config, .gconf,
> .gconfd, .gramps, .local) but couldn't make out where the information is
> located.
>
> I exported the DB as XML. I saw that alternate names are translated as
> <name alt="1" type="name_type">…</name>. Nowhere is there any table
> defining an encoding for the type. I suppose that removing the type
> entries is harmless, at least in the XML (cannot tell for the "native"
> format).
>
> I assume that importing from the XML would solve the issue but I would
> lose the last-modified timestamps.
>
> How can I clear the name type menu?
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

Re: Messing up the name editor

And no, you do not lose the last modified timestamps.  Import from an
xml .gramps backup just puts the information from the file into the
new database.

The only entry that may be an issue is the path in medio records.  I
am on Windows and they will import with "/". New and edited media
records store it as "\". Because I like the Path field as my first
field in the media list and thus the default sort, this plays havoc
with that sort. Not sure what happens on other OS and of course it is
only an issue with the sort which you may not care about. Media
Manager fixes this issue for me but that does alter the timestamp.