Migration to GetGOV

Sebastian Schubert
Dear all

I am thinking about migrating my places to the GOV structure with the
GetGOV addon. However, I have quite a big number of places already,
which are somewhat based on the GOV database, so this seems like a lot
of work. In particular, it seems to require a lot of manual merging of
double places.

Is there something that supports this work in addition to the addon
itself? For example, a way to find double entries? I guess I could just
change some of the IDs to the GOV ID but I probably end up being
inconsistent with GOV.

Thanks for your help!
Sebastian

Re: Migration to GetGOV

prculley
I agree you have some work ahead of you.  I would not attempt to "just change some of the IDs to the GOV ID".  As you say that would introduce inconsistencies in the data compared to the GOV data.

I don't care for the GOV system myself, as I find searching for a place to be rather difficult, I think they only return a match if you happen to know the exact local place name.  (Try a search for "Berlin, Germany", as an English user I expected something, but get no results).  But I recognize it is better if you want the hierarchy of places to reflect changes over time.

If I had to do this, I would start with the biggest places and then work down (Countries, then states etc.).  Use GetGOV to load a place, and then merge with your preexisting manually added version.  Then look at the merged result and see if it needs to be changed, removing extra alternative names, and extra enclosed-by data.  You would generally want to keep the GOV data, and drop conflicting manually entered data.

I created the Place Cleanup tool which uses the GeoNames data.  That data is very easy to search, but contains almost no historical information.  I originally thought I might do a similar tool for GOV data, or integrate into a single tool, however the lack of a GOV search API that works well made me lose interest.

Paul C.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 4:19 AM Sebastian Schubert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all

I am thinking about migrating my places to the GOV structure with the
GetGOV addon. However, I have quite a big number of places already,
which are somewhat based on the GOV database, so this seems like a lot
of work. In particular, it seems to require a lot of manual merging of
double places.

Is there something that supports this work in addition to the addon
itself? For example, a way to find double entries? I guess I could just
change some of the IDs to the GOV ID but I probably end up being
inconsistent with GOV.

Thanks for your help!
Sebastian

Re: Migration to GetGOV