Missing Surname/GivenName

Peter Griffin-2
Hello

I have a number of entries in my family tree where either of their names
is unknown. I am trying to make this fact more obvious in reports.

I came across "/preferences/text" which seems to address this issue but
I can find no information on how to use it or how it impacts the system.

Any insight in this are would be much appreciated.

With thanks.

Re: Missing Surname/GivenName

J. Allen Crider-2
I haven't tried using "/preferences/text" to accomplish anything because
I'm not convinced it would always work the way I would want.  I tried to
find a good solution that would distinguish between surname unknown and
no surname and that would be obvious in web reports.  I ended up leaving
the surname blank when there is no surname and using [--?--] when the
surname is unknown, although using almost anything that doesn't start
with a letter would probably work as well (although for some reason that
I no longer remember I didn't like using just a question mark, maybe
because it wouldn't be as obvious for doing searches in text reports,
xml files, and gedcom files).  For cases where the given name is
unknown, a single question mark has been satisfactory for me so far.

Allen

On 29/12/17 14:39, Peter Griffin wrote:
> I have a number of entries in my family tree where either of their
> names is unknown. I am trying to make this fact more obvious in reports.
>
> I came across "/preferences/text" which seems to address this issue
> but I can find no information on how to use it or how it impacts the
> system.
>
> Any insight in this are would be much appreciated.

The missing given name setting doesn't appear to be used anywhere.

The missing surname setting is used in the top surnames gramplet,
surname cloud gramplet and the given name gramplet.  It is also used in
the surname method of the simple access database.  I can only find this
method called in the same surnames quick view.