Missing gedcom attributes for occupation

Missing gedcom attributes for occupation

Nicolas V.
Hello,

I am new to genealogical stuff but I learn fast.

Here is my setup : I am using Gramps to edit a genealogical database, then I export it to a gedcom file, then import this file into webtrees.

Here is my problem : If I edit my occupation section in webtrees and using export / import into gramps, I can see the gramps can import the attributes that I have filled in webtrees :

        - Téléphone (Phone in French, PHON in gedcom)
        - Courriel (e-Mail in French, EMAIL in gedcom)

If I want to export again from gramps to gedcom, theses attributes are not exported.
If I want to input the same informations anywhere else, the attributes list don’t list them.

Is there a place to edit Gedcom attributes associations ?

How can I edit these informations in gramps and be able to have them in my gedcom export ?

Thanks for all.

Re: Missing gedcom attributes for occupation

manzi.sam
Hello,

Gramps v4.2.4 and greater was updated to handle GEDCOM v5.5.1 for  PHON, FAX, EMAIL and WWW Gedcom tags.[1][2]

If you have an older Gramps version installed then please backup your family trees and update to Gramps v4.2.5 and test that it works for you?

Kind regards
Sam

[1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=9322
[2] https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/221

On 16 April 2017 at 18:40, Nicolas V. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

thanks for you fast reply, sorry I couldn’t do the same.

I am using the latest 4.2.5 Gramps version for OSX.

I tried switching my OS to English, and init a new database, then I have declared a new people, then tried to add an occupation, in this occupation I can add attributes :

- Age
- Agency
- Castle
- Cause
- Description
- Father’s Age
- Identification Number
- Mother’s Age
- National Origin
- Nickname
- Number of Children
- Social security number
- Time
- Unknown
- Witness

In this list there is no Phone number, or E-Mail.

But, If I import a GEDCOM file that are defining these fields for an occupation, they both shows up in the attributes form (with EMAIL in uppercase).

So :
- I can’t create these entry with gramps
- If I export the database to gedcom, the gedcom file is missing these entries.

Kind regards.

Le 16 Apr 2017 à 11:27, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Gramps 4.2.5 AOI & jpg rotation

Oldest1
In trying to add some images for old church records to a person's gallery, all apps I have tried - IrfanView, XnViewMP, show the image rotated so that it is right side up when I click on it.

When I try to add the image to the Gramps gallery, not only does it show sideways, but I also cannot set the region of interest at all.

A search the list came up empty.
Any thoughts or hints will be much appreciated.
TIA

Re: Missing gedcom attributes for occupation

Hello Nicolas,

> Here is my setup : I am using Gramps to edit a genealogical database, then I export it to a gedcom file, then import this file into webtrees.
>
> Here is my problem : If I edit my occupation section in webtrees and using export / import into gramps, I can see the gramps can import the attributes that I have filled in webtrees :
>
> - Téléphone (Phone in French, PHON in gedcom)
> - Courriel (e-Mail in French, EMAIL in gedcom)
>

> If I want to export again from gramps to gedcom, theses attributes are not exported.
> If I want to input the same informations anywhere else, the attributes list don’t list them.
Welcome to the Gramps user list. Can you give an example of how phone
and email are exported by webtrees? I've tried the program only once, so
I don't know what the export looks like.

> Is there a place to edit Gedcom attributes associations ?
No. These associations are fixed in the software, and can only be
changed by developers.

> How can I edit these informations in gramps and be able to have them in my gedcom export ?
It depends, and probably requires some more details about how you (plan
to) work with Gramps and webtrees. So, at this moment, I can't say more
than a few basic things about addresses and locations in Gramps:

1. For persons and repositories (libraries), you can add addresses,
where for each address you see a window where you can type a date,
street address, locality, city, province, etc., and also a phone number
and zip code. These are all exported to an ADDR record in GEDCOM.

2. When you deal with events, like birth , marriage, and death, and also
occupations, you work with locations, and in Gramps they're not the same
as addresses. Locations export as PLAC records and in Gramps 4.2,
locations can be structured in trees, meaning that you can define a
location for a street (address), put that inside a locality (quartier,
arrondissement), put that inside a city, which is part of departement,
province, or state, which itself is a part of a country. In that system,
you don't find a phone number field, but only a code.

All entities mentioned above, i.e. persons, repositories, and locations,
have an internet tab, where you can enter an email addres, web page,
etc., which should be exported properly. Also, most entities have
attributes, where you can enter anything you like, but risk that thing
are not exported in a way that other software understands.

When you work with locations, you need to know that the location tree
(hierarchy) is more advanced than about any other program on the market,
and there is a risk of information loss when you transfer data to
another program. I's also worth knowing that very few programs can work
with addresses in the way that they are defined in the GEDCOM standard.
Gramps goes a long way there, but is not perfect either.

In any case, if you see a particular problem, it can help if you create
a bug report and attach a GEDCOM made by Gramps, and one by webtrees,
and explain your intentions, so that we have specific information to
react to.

regards,

Re: Gramps 4.2.5 AOI & jpg rotation

Peter Merchant
On 16/04/17 20:08, [hidden email] wrote:
In trying to add some images for old church records to a person's gallery, all apps I have tried - IrfanView, XnViewMP, show the image rotated so that it is right side up when I click on it.

When I try to add the image to the Gramps gallery, not only does it show sideways, but I also cannot set the region of interest at all.

A search the list came up empty.
Any thoughts or hints will be much appreciated.
TI

In Irfanview, type R or L to rotate picture, then save it. This might fix it. It does  for some of my pictures in Picasa.

PM

Re: Gramps 4.2.5 AOI & jpg rotation

paul womack
Peter Merchant wrote:
> On 16/04/17 20:08, [hidden email] wrote:
>> In trying to add some images for old church records to a person's gallery, all apps I have tried - IrfanView, XnViewMP, show the image rotated so that it is right side up when I click on it.
>>
>> When I try to add the image to the Gramps gallery, not only does it show sideways, but I also cannot set the region of interest at all.

I suspect it's a battle between the orientation of the pixel, and the
setting of the EXIF orientation tag

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html

  BugBear

On 4/18/2017 1:36 AM, paul womack wrote:
Peter Merchant wrote:
I suspect it's a battle between the orientation of the pixel, and the
setting of the EXIF orientation tag

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html
Thank for that link - very interesting and I'll see if I can figure out how it ties in with this problem

On 4/18/2017 1:22 AM, Peter Merchant wrote:

In Irfanview, type R or L to rotate picture, then save it. This might fix it. It does  for some of my pictures in Picasa.

PM

Thank you. That did the trick.
In fact with the original image, gramps seemed to freeze up altogether. Now it is happy - and so am I :-)

Re: Missing gedcom attributes for occupation

Sam mentioned that support for the PHON/FAX/EMAIL/WWW Gedcom tags was added in v4.2.4.  However, that support only included support for import.  Export support was added to the code which will eventually be released as Gramps 5.0.x.

We are not really supposed to be adding "new features" to the Gramps 4.2 branch.

Regarding the attributes form; these (PHON/FAX/EMAIL/WWW) attribute types are what we call 'custom' attributes, that is they are not natively supported by Gramps underlying code.  The Gedcom import added these as custom attributes and consequently your family tree has them available for manual use as well.

If you are creating a new tree, and these are not present, you can add them yourself by simply typing in the 'Attribute' field of the form.  For instance, if I add a new attribute, the form opens with 'Identification Number' already selected.  If you use the mouse to click in that field, select the current text again, and type 'EMAIL', you have created that custom attribute.

Paul Culley