Mistyping a date in a custom citation filter caused Gramps to go into a loop.

Mistyping a date in a custom citation filter caused Gramps to go into a loop.

John W. Kitz-3

All,

I just mistyped a date (2019-006-04 instead of 2019-06-04) in a custom citation filter, which, when executing the search that used the filter, caused Gramps to go into loop.

Reluctantly I was only able to force Gramps out off the loop, by ending the task in the task manager.

After that Gramps started again without a problem and I only needed to force the lock that was still on the database.

As far as I was able the glitch didn't result in any loss of data, so after correcting the mistyped date I was able to continue doing what I was doing before I inadvertently forced Gramps into a loop.

My question; is there a way to end Gramps in a more graceful way in situations like these?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Mistyping a date in a custom citation filter caused Gramps to go into a loop.

Richard Nairn

Probably not. However, I would suggest if you could recreate this error to submit a bug report. Those sort of things should have some error trapping and not cause it to behave like that...

Re: Mistyping a date in a custom citation filter caused Gramps to go into a loop.

There is no better way to abort Gramps when it gets lost.  Task manager (for Windows) and the kill command for other OSs is the only way.

Some operations with a progress bar will allow the user to abort the operation, but not very many of them.

BTW; I would be curious about the filter settings that caused the crash; I tried the bad date in a quick citations search and the leading extra 0 was ignored.  The search otherwise worked.

Paul C.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:37 AM John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

I just mistyped a date (2019-006-04 instead of 2019-06-04) in a custom citation filter, which, when executing the search that used the filter, caused Gramps to go into loop.

Reluctantly I was only able to force Gramps out off the loop, by ending the task in the task manager.

After that Gramps started again without a problem and I only needed to force the lock that was still on the database.

As far as I was able the glitch didn't result in any loss of data, so after correcting the mistyped date I was able to continue doing what I was doing before I inadvertently forced Gramps into a loop.

My question; is there a way to end Gramps in a more graceful way in situations like these?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Mistyping a date in a custom citation filter

Occasionally, a failure dialog will be generated in these situations but be inaccessible - stuck the top layer.

In cases where Gramps appears unresponsive, try pressing the ESC key before using task manager. It will only be effective once in a blue moon, but it's worth a try.

-Brian

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:37, John W. Kitz

All,

I just mistyped a date (2019-006-04 instead of 2019-06-04) in a custom citation filter, which, when executing the search that used the filter, caused Gramps to go into loop.

Reluctantly I was only able to force Gramps out off the loop, by ending the task in the task manager.

After that Gramps started again without a problem and I only needed to force the lock that was still on the database.

As far as I was able the glitch didn't result in any loss of data, so after correcting the mistyped date I was able to continue doing what I was doing before I inadvertently forced Gramps into a loop.

My question; is there a way to end Gramps in a more graceful way in situations like these?

Regards, Jk.

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment