Modules not loaded

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi

With the help of the experts/contributors to this list I have successfully downloaded Gramps 5.01 to my 'new' 64 bit laptop running Linux Mint 19.01 Tessa, I have transferred the data file from my old 34 bit machine and Gramps has loaded my three family trees data successfully!

My next task is to link the relevant media files to the respective family trees in Gramps

On start up Gramps produces the following messages:

GExiv2 module not loaded

To build it for Gramps see https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_029:_GTK3-GObject_introspection_Conversation#GEviv2_for_Image-metadata

When I follow this I get

GEPS 029: GTK3-GObject introspection Conversation

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

My question is do I need this module to link my media files to Gamps family trees and if so how do I get it?

I also get a very similar message on start up:  OSMGpsMap module not loaded. I have not yet tried to resolve this on but any advice would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Tim

Re: Modules not loaded

Doug-11
On 29/12/2018 21:11, Tim via Gramps-users wrote:

[...]

(1) Linking media files:

In Gramps, Edit=>Preferences=>General=> Base path for relative media paths. Navigate to where you keep your media files

In Gramps, Tools=>Utilities=> Media Manager=> Selection=> Convert paths from absolute to relative

(2) Modules:

You should be able to sort most module problems in Linux Mint with the Synaptic Package Manager, i.e.

Menu=> Administration=> Synaptic Package Manager (your path may differ slightly from this)

You do need Gexiv2

Synaptic Package Manager=> Search: gexiv

right-click=> Mark for installation:  all packages except -dbg

Apply.

You need OSMGpsMap if you want to show the location of places on a map, particularly in the Narrative Web Report

Synaptic Package Manager=> Search: osmgps

right-click=> Mark for installation:  all packages except -dbg and s3dosm

Apply.

HTH

Doug

Re: Modules not loaded

Ross Gammon
Alternatively, on any Debian based OS (like Ubuntu & Mint) you can find
the dependencies, and recommended and suggested packages for Gramps with
the following command:
$ dpkg -s gramps
Package: gramps
Section: gnome
Installed-Size: 39343
Maintainer: Ross Gammon <[hidden email]>
Architecture: all
Version: 5.0.0-1~ubuntu18.04.1~ppa1
Replaces: python-gramps, python3-gramps
Depends: gir1.2-gtk-3.0 (>= 3.10.0), librsvg2-2, python3-gi (>= 3.12.0),
python3-gi-cairo, python3-bsddb3, xdg-utils, python3:any (>= 3.3.2-2~)
Recommends: graphviz, gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10, gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0, python3-icu
Suggests: fonts-freefont-ttf, gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0,
gir1.2-gtkspell3-3.0, python3-pil, rcs, python3-numpy
Conflicts: python-gramps, python3-gramps
 Gramps is an Open Source genealogy program written in Python, using
 the GTK/GNOME interface. It is an extremely flexible program fitting
 the needs for both the amateur genealogist and serious genealogical
 researcher.
 Gramps has the ability to import GEDCOM files exported from many
 proprietary genealogy programs and can produce a large number of
 reports in many popular formats.
Homepage: https://www.gramps-project.org/

Then just "sudo apt install" them with a copy & paste.

Cheers,

Ross

On 12/30/18 2:27 PM, Doug wrote:

> On 29/12/2018 21:11, Tim via Gramps-users wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> With the help of the experts/contributors to this list I have
>> successfully downloaded Gramps 5.01 to my 'new' 64 bit laptop running
>> Linux Mint 19.01 Tessa, I have transferred the data file from my old
>> 34 bit machine and Gramps has loaded my three family trees data
>> successfully!
>>
>> My next task is to link the relevant media files to the respective
>> family trees in Gramps
>>
>> On start up Gramps produces the following messages:
>>
>> /GExiv2 module not loaded/
>>
>> /To build it for Gramps
>> see////https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_029:_GTK3-GObject_introspection_Conversation#GEviv2_for_Image-metadata/
>>

>> When I follow this I get
>>
>> /GEPS 029: GTK3-GObject introspection Conversation//
>> //
>> //There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this
>> page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not
>> have permission to create this page./
>>
>> My question is do I need this module to link my media/**/files to
>> Gamps family trees and if so how do I get it?
>>
>> I also get a very similar message on start up:  /OSMGpsMap module not
>> loaded/. I have not yet tried to resolve this on but any advice would
>> also be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Tim
>>

> (1) Linking media files:
>
> In Gramps, Edit=>Preferences=>General=> Base path for relative media
> paths. Navigate to where you keep your media files
>
> In Gramps, Tools=>Utilities=> Media Manager=> Selection=> Convert paths
> from absolute to relative
>
> (2) Modules:
>
> You should be able to sort most module problems in Linux Mint with the
> Synaptic Package Manager, i.e.
>
> Menu=> Administration=> Synaptic Package Manager (your path may differ
> slightly from this)
>
> You do need Gexiv2
>
> Synaptic Package Manager=> Search: gexiv
>
> right-click=> Mark for installation:  all packages except -dbg
>
> Apply.

> You need OSMGpsMap if you want to show the location of places on a map,
> particularly in the Narrative Web Report
>
> Synaptic Package Manager=> Search: osmgps
>
> right-click=> Mark for installation:  all packages except -dbg and s3dosm
>
> Apply.
>
> HTH
>
> Doug

Re: Modules not loaded

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Thanks again, I am slowly making my way through the recommendations.

I have carried out the instructions ref the Gramps Edit Preferences for Base Path and Gramps Tools convert paths from absolute to relative. The Gramps 'Gallery' files are still not linked but as they are identified by name I am re-importing them from where they are in 'Documents' which follows the 'base path' I have entered in Preferences. This may be a little cumbersome but as I do not have too many media files it is doable ok.

Again I carried out the instructions for the Package Manager. I entered Gexiv2 in the search and it identified: Package libgexiv2, Installed Version 0.10.18.1, Latest Version 0.10.18.0. The search for osmgps produced no results. Gramps on start up still comes up with the messages that GExiv2 and OsmGpsMaps modules not loaded.

I am tempted to follow the command instruction suggested by Ross. I have a concern that in my ignorance I could do real harm! Am I right to think that when I enter the command '$ dpkg -s gramps' all the lines shown in the email will appear. Is the plan then that I highlight and copy these? Then enter a new command "sudo apt install" which will allow me to paste the information in?

I am appreciative of everyone who has responded and apologize for my lack of technical know how but still learning.

Tim

On 12/30/18 2:27 PM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Gary Bussiere
Enter in Terminal:

sudo apt install graphviz gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10 gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0
python3-icu

That will take care of the modules not loaded messages.

You can install the others in the list the same way if you wish. Just
remove comma's between the package names.

Gary

On 12/31/18 9:50 AM, Tim via Gramps-users wrote:

> Again I carried out the instructions for the Package Manager. I entered
> Gexiv2 in the search and it identified: Package libgexiv2, Installed
> Version 0.10.18.1, Latest Version 0.10.18.0. The search for osmgps
> produced no results. Gramps on start up still comes up with the messages
> that GExiv2 and OsmGpsMaps modules not loaded.

Re: Modules not loaded

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Hi

I have just done as Gary suggested and it has worked. No more error
messages regarding the modules.

This has 'solved' the last part of my problem. Also I have learned a bit
about the Command tool and how it works.

One final question: is there a protocol to terminate this list as solved
(with grateful thanks of course)?

Tim

On 31/12/2018 19:32, Gary B wrote:

> Enter in Terminal:
>
> sudo apt install graphviz gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10 gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0
> python3-icu
>
> That will take care of the modules not loaded messages.
>
> You can install the others in the list the same way if you wish. Just
> remove comma's between the package names.
>
> Gary
>

> On 12/31/18 9:50 AM, Tim via Gramps-users wrote:
>
>> Again I carried out the instructions for the Package Manager. I
>> entered Gexiv2 in the search and it identified: Package libgexiv2,
>> Installed Version 0.10.18.1, Latest Version 0.10.18.0. The search for
>> osmgps produced no results. Gramps on start up still comes up with
>> the messages that GExiv2 and OsmGpsMaps modules not loaded.

Solved: Re: Modules not loaded

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Thanks to all who helped. Now working happily with my 'media' on Gramps.

Very much appreciate the patience shown in guiding me through.

Best Wishes

Tim