Most useful gramplets

Richard Nairn
Hello,

While I have started to do more with Gramps I haven't had a chance to
dive into some of the various options. I am curious what people use for
gramplets, and which ones they think are most useful...

Cheers,
Richard

Re: Most useful gramplets

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:33:39 -0600
Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>dive into some of the various options. I am curious what people use for
>gramplets, and which ones they think are most useful...

Forms Gramplet.  Most definitely the top one.  Makes generating census
and BMD events a doddle.  Can be expanded to support more by creating
your own custom types and places.

--
 Regards  _
You don't entertain ideas you simply bore them

Re: Most useful gramplets

Philippe Couka

Hi

Clipboard gramplet, so useful for sharing events, places, people...

Philippe Couka

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:33:39 -0600
Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>dive into some of the various options. I am curious what people use for
>gramplets, and which ones they think are most useful...

Forms Gramplet.  Most definitely the top one.  Makes generating census
and BMD events a doddle.  Can be expanded to support more by creating
your own custom types and places.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
You don't entertain ideas you simply bore them
I Don't Like You - Stiff Little Fingers

Re: Most useful gramplets

Three cheers for the clipboard!

Deep Connections, too, when in the Relationships tab.

Enclosed By is useful in Places for finding weirdly/wrongly defined places.

Attributes is good for finding merged objects.

On 08/16/2016 03:43 PM, Philippe Couka wrote:

Hi

Clipboard gramplet, so useful for sharing events, places, people...

Philippe Couka

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:33:39 -0600
Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>dive into some of the various options. I am curious what people use for
>gramplets, and which ones they think are most useful...

Forms Gramplet.  Most definitely the top one.  Makes generating census
and BMD events a doddle.  Can be expanded to support more by creating
your own custom types and places.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Most useful gramplets

David L McMurray
My personal choices:

>From the sidebar:
1. Forms (for entering census data)
2. Clipboard (for sharing citations, events, places, and media)

Then from the bottom bar, I'm all the time looking quickly at Events,
Children, Gallery, Notes, References, Ancestors, and Descendants. Then under
Places, the Enclosed By and Encloses.

I'm sure I'll use Filters more whenever I take the time to learn it better.
I know I'm only scratching the surface when I use it to pick a surname. Or a
state when working on places.

Dave

John Paton
Hi all,

I have noticed a lot of discussion about the 'Forms' gramplet in recent
weeks. Being naturally inquisitive I went looking for this gramplet to
see what it did.

I cannot find it anywhere. I am using 4.0.3.1 but Forms gramplet does
not appear on the list of gramplets available.

Anybody able to clarify for me?

Thanks.

John Paton

Re: Most useful gramplets

paul womack
Philippe Couka wrote:
> Hi
>
> Clipboard gramplet, so useful for sharing events, places, people...

Is the clipboard a gramplet?!

I thought it was a core feature.

    BugBear

Re: Most useful gramplets

paul womack
Richard Nairn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While I have started to do more with Gramps I haven't had a chance to
> dive into some of the various options. I am curious what people use for
> gramplets, and which ones they think are most useful...

Media Verify; in the way I work, Gramps would be unusable without it.

I download everything to a single "new" directory (which
make the "save as" dialog in the Browser instant, no clicks or typing)
and then move the files later. Without Media Verify this
would not be practical.

It also means I can restructure my directory tree
as and when I like.

(grateful thanks to Nick Hall)

  BugBear

Re: Most useful gramplets

J. Allen Crider-2
The Forms gramplet is an update of the Census gramplet to include other
forms in addition to census forms.  I believe the Forms gramplet is only
available for gramps version 4.2.x or later, so you will have to use the
Census gramplet instead or upgrade to a newer version of gramps.

On 08/17/2016 01:46 AM, John Paton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed a lot of discussion about the 'Forms' gramplet in recent
> weeks. Being naturally inquisitive I went looking for this gramplet to
> see what it did.
>
> I cannot find it anywhere. I am using 4.0.3.1 but Forms gramplet does
> not appear on the list of gramplets available.
>
> Anybody able to clarify for me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Paton

Re: Most useful gramplets

Philippe Couka
Hi

I can't make the form gramplet work in version 4.2.3; I can add it, I can open it, and when I click the "new" button, a windows shows up and ask "select form", which I can't, because no form was created so far...

Am i missing something too?

Best regards

Philippe Couka

The Forms gramplet is an update of the Census gramplet to include other
forms in addition to census forms.  I believe the Forms gramplet is only
available for gramps version 4.2.x or later, so you will have to use the
Census gramplet instead or upgrade to a newer version of gramps.

On 08/17/2016 01:46 AM, John Paton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed a lot of discussion about the 'Forms' gramplet in recent
> weeks. Being naturally inquisitive I went looking for this gramplet to
> see what it did.
>
> I cannot find it anywhere. I am using 4.0.3.1 but Forms gramplet does
> not appear on the list of gramplets available.
>
> Anybody able to clarify for me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Paton

Re: Most useful gramplets

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:45:31 +0200
Philippe Couka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Philippe,

>Am i missing something too?

Quite possibly you've not set the correct Forms Attribute in your Source.

--
 Regards  _
Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry

Re: Most useful gramplets

Harvey Nimmo
You have to be sure the form template is 'defined'.

If it is not in .gramps/gramps42/plugins/Form/form.xml, then could to define it in the custom.xml file (in the same directory)

Cheers
Harvey

On Thu, 2016-08-18 at 11:45 +0200, Philippe Couka wrote:
Hi

I can't make the form gramplet work in version 4.2.3; I can add it, I can open it, and when I click the "new" button, a windows shows up and ask "select form", which I can't, because no form was created so far...

Am i missing something too?

Best regards

Philippe Couka

The Forms gramplet is an update of the Census gramplet to include other
forms in addition to census forms.  I believe the Forms gramplet is only
available for gramps version 4.2.x or later, so you will have to use the
Census gramplet instead or upgrade to a newer version of gramps.

On 08/17/2016 01:46 AM, John Paton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed a lot of discussion about the 'Forms' gramplet in recent
> weeks. Being naturally inquisitive I went looking for this gramplet to
> see what it did.
>
> I cannot find it anywhere. I am using 4.0.3.1 but Forms gramplet does
> not appear on the list of gramplets available.
>
> Anybody able to clarify for me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Paton

Re: Most useful gramplets

Harvey Nimmo
You have to be sure the form template is 'defined'.

If it is not in .gramps/gramps42/plugins/Form/form.xml, then could to define it in the custom.xml file (in the same directory)

...and I think you might have to restart gramps after that.

Cheers
Harvey

On Thu, 2016-08-18 at 11:45 +0200, Philippe Couka wrote:
Hi

I can't make the form gramplet work in version 4.2.3; I can add it, I can open it, and when I click the "new" button, a windows shows up and ask "select form", which I can't, because no form was created so far...

Am i missing something too?

Best regards

Philippe Couka

The Forms gramplet is an update of the Census gramplet to include other
forms in addition to census forms.  I believe the Forms gramplet is only
available for gramps version 4.2.x or later, so you will have to use the
Census gramplet instead or upgrade to a newer version of gramps.

On 08/17/2016 01:46 AM, John Paton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed a lot of discussion about the 'Forms' gramplet in recent
> weeks. Being naturally inquisitive I went looking for this gramplet to
> see what it did.
>
> I cannot find it anywhere. I am using 4.0.3.1 but Forms gramplet does
> not appear on the list of gramplets available.
>
> Anybody able to clarify for me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Paton

Re: Most useful gramplets

Martnal
When I originally installed GRAMPS I accepted all the defaults.  It is in

C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-4.2.3\lib\python3.5\site-packages\gramps\plugins

My data is on an E:\ drive.

I can find no Forms reference, but as I said in my own thread, it works OK for my test database, but is not in my live one.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.