Move from OS X to Linux

Hugh Paterson III
Greetings,

What process should I undertake to move my GRAMPS work from OS X to Linux? I want to retain all my data, resources, etc.

All the best,
- Hugh

Re: Move from OS X to Linux

paul womack
Hugh Paterson III wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> What process should I undertake to move my GRAMPS work from OS X to Linux? I want to retain all my data, resources, etc.

Make a backup on one machine, import on the other! I'm assuming
all your digital media files are already under a single node in the filing
system for backup purposes, of course.

  BugBear

Re: Move from OS X to Linux

Nick Hall
On 26/05/17 17:03, paul womack wrote:
What process should I undertake to move my GRAMPS work from OS X to Linux? I want to retain all my data, resources, etc.

Make a backup on one machine, import on the other! I'm assuming
all your digital media files are already under a single node in the filing
system for backup purposes, of course.

Yes.

Export each family tree to Gramps XML (either with or without media).

If you made backups without media, then also backup your media directory.

Backup the settings files in your ~/.gramps directory and the gramps42 sub-directory.  These contain xml and ini files.

Copying the ~/.gramps/gramps42/plugins directory will save you from having to install the plugins again.

If you decided to backup the grampsdb directory, I suggest you don't use these databases.  Importing an XML backup into an empty family tree is a safer option.