Quantcast

Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

After my initial installation of and trails with Gramps I'd like to move the
Gramps database over to another location on disk. On Windows by default the
database appears to be located in
"C:\Users\<account-name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\".

Can I just:

1. copy the file named "grampsdb" from its current location to its new
location;
2. set "Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:" to the new
location;
3. restart Gramps and;
4. after I've confirmed that everything works as before delete the file
named "grampsdb" from its old location?

Or will:

1. setting "Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:" to a
new location and;
2. restarting Gramps overwrite a file named "grampsdb" that has manually
been copied to the new location prior to restarting Gramps?

In case the above won't do the trick is:

1. exporting any family trees that I want to retain;
2. setting "Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:" to the
new location;
3. restarting Gramps and;
4. after I've confirmed that everything works as before importing the
previously exported family trees and;
5. deleting the file named "grampsdb" from its old location;

an alternative that works?

Where does Family Tree -> Make Backup fit into this, since it only seems to
affect one family tree as opposed to the entire gramps database and judging
from the various dialogues involved it seems to more or less be the same as
exporting a family tree, with the exception that I can't find an option to
restore a previously backed up family tree?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

Dave Scheipers
Welcome John,

Moving as you suggest will work.

I keep mine at C:\Users\Public\Genealogy\Gramps
and all my other genealogy info in this Genealogy directory especially my Media folder.

This allows multiple users on this computer access.

I wish that the other files under AppData\Roaming could be moved and available to all users instead of having duplication.

You can specify where backups are created and that info will be remembered. Same for where you have non-printed (PDF etc) report destinations.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 4:19 PM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave,

On 2017-02-04 22:47, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Welcome John,
>
> Moving as you suggest will work.
>
> I keep mine at C:\Users\Public\Genealogy\Gramps
> and all my other genealogy info in this Genealogy directory especially
> my Media folder.
>
> This allows multiple users on this computer access.

I like to separate operating system and application software files, that
can be re-installed from the original installation media in the event of
a hardware failure, from user data that needs to be backed up because it
isn't available on the original installation media, as much as possible
because it makes the process of making backups easier. One way of doing
that is to separate operating system and application software files and
user data on different volumes or even on separate devices (which may
today even provide for snapshot type backup functions). In doing so one
only needs to copy the data volume (or parts thereof) and doesn't need
to bother with the rest, since it can be recovered from the original
installation media.

> I wish that the other files under AppData\Roaming could be moved and
> available to all users instead of having duplication.
>
> You can specify where backups are created and that info will be
> remembered. Same for where you have non-printed (PDF etc) report
> destinations.

I haven't tried to move the database yet, but after your reply I noticed
that Gramps not only keeps the location of the data in "Edit ->
Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:", but it also
maintains the location of the family trees in
"C:\Users\<account-name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml".
Does that file need to be edited too, or is changing the location in
"Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:" going
to take care of that?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

Dave Scheipers
The recent-files-gramps.xml maintains the info for the file menu options. Delete it after moving the files. Gramps will automatically create a new one reflecting the change.

Dave

Dave,

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

All,
> I haven't tried to move the database yet, but after your reply I noticed
> that Gramps not only keeps the location of the data in "Edit ->
> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:", but it also
> maintains the location of the family trees in
> "C:\Users\<account-name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml".
> Does that file need to be edited too, or is changing the location in
> "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:" going
> to take care of that?
There is a variable called GRAMPSHOME that can be used to set an
alternative path for all Gramps data files, i.e. database and settings.
It's mention on

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#GRAMPSHOME

and I think that it works on Windows too. There are loads of manuals for
setting variables in Windows, like this one:

http://www.howtogeek.com/51807/how-to-create-and-use-global-system-environment-variables/

If you set GRAMPSHOME to a folder inside your documents folder, like

C:\users\<account-name>\Documents\gramps

and don't move anything there, yet, Gramps will probably act like it
does on a fresh install. You can then create a new tree, and see what it
does into that new gramps folder, and if it works, stop Gramps, remove
that test folder and replace it with the gramps folder from AppData\Roaming.

Note that the Documents folder may have another name if you have a non
English windows, but even if you have, Windows will have a shortcut in
place, meaning that where the explorer shows Gebruikers > Enno >
Documenten, a click on the path in explorer reveals that the real folder
is C:\Users\Enno\Documents

You can copy that path from the explorer window like I just did to paste
it into this email.

Hope this works,

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

Dave Scheipers
Thanks Enno

I find this 95% better than having full duplicates of all the user data. All users are now pointing to common resources in particular the addons and thumbnails. Unfortunately the display configuration files had to migrate too, but I'll live with it.

Maybe I'll put in a feature request for a more refined separation of what is a unique user feature and what would be common to all users of a system.

Dave

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,
> I haven't tried to move the database yet, but after your reply I noticed
> that Gramps not only keeps the location of the data in "Edit ->
> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:", but it also
> maintains the location of the family trees in
> "C:\Users\<account-name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml".
> Does that file need to be edited too, or is changing the location in
> "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:" going
> to take care of that?
There is a variable called GRAMPSHOME that can be used to set an
alternative path for all Gramps data files, i.e. database and settings.
It's mention on

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#GRAMPSHOME

and I think that it works on Windows too. There are loads of manuals for
setting variables in Windows, like this one:

http://www.howtogeek.com/51807/how-to-create-and-use-global-system-environment-variables/

If you set GRAMPSHOME to a folder inside your documents folder, like

C:\users\<account-name>\Documents\gramps

and don't move anything there, yet, Gramps will probably act like it
does on a fresh install. You can then create a new tree, and see what it
does into that new gramps folder, and if it works, stop Gramps, remove
that test folder and replace it with the gramps folder from AppData\Roaming.

Note that the Documents folder may have another name if you have a non
English windows, but even if you have, Windows will have a shortcut in
place, meaning that where the explorer shows Gebruikers > Enno >
Documenten, a click on the path in explorer reveals that the real folder
is C:\Users\Enno\Documents

You can copy that path from the explorer window like I just did to paste
it into this email.

Hope this works,

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

John W. Kitz-3

Following my initial post and the several replies I received I've been
tinkering with moving the content of the grampsdb folder only to another
volume. I did so using the following steps:

1. copied C:\Users\<account-name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\grampsdb to
D:\gramps\grampsdb;
2. edited
C:\Users\<account-name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml to
reflect 1.;
3. started Gramps;
4. edited "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:"
to reflect 1.;
5. restarted Gramps.

and everything seems to be working as before, that is I can edit and add
data and after a restart of Gramps those changes and additions appear to
have been saved, etc.

The only strange thing is that going to 'Family Trees -> Manage Family
Trees' results in an empty dialog, incorrectly suggesting that there is no
family tree loaded at all.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to fix this or have I presented
Gramps with an unexpected situation that it can't handle?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

Hi John

When you edited the "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:", did you include the ####a## file directory that would have been a part of the recent-files-gramps.xml ?

The "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:" should be 'D:\gramps\grampsdb' according to what you've done above.

This is the only thing I can think of  to get the results you're getting.

Dave

Hi,

On 2017-02-07 22:42, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi John
>
> When you edited the "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree
> Database path:", did you include the ####a## file directory that would
> have been a part of the recent-files-gramps.xml ?
>
> The "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:"
> should be 'D:\gramps\grampsdb' according to what you've done above.
>
> This is the only thing I can think of  to get the results you're
> getting.
>
> Dave

Yep, my mistake, you saved the day. Thanks.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

John W. Kitz-3
Enno,

On 2017-02-05 16:01, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> All,
>> I haven't tried to move the database yet, but after your reply I
>> noticed
>> that Gramps not only keeps the location of the data in "Edit ->
>> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:", but it also
>> maintains the location of the family trees in
>> "C:\Users\<account-name>\AppData\Roaming\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml".
>> Does that file need to be edited too, or is changing the location in
>> "Edit -> Preferences -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path:"
>> going
>> to take care of that?
> There is a variable called GRAMPSHOME that can be used to set an
> alternative path for all Gramps data files, i.e. database and settings.
> It's mention on
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#GRAMPSHOME
>
> and I think that it works on Windows too.

I've tried it (that is with GRAMPSHOME added as a user variable) and it
works.

> There are loads of manuals for
> setting variables in Windows, like this one:
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/51807/how-to-create-and-use-global-system-environment-variables/
>
> If you set GRAMPSHOME to a folder inside your documents folder, like
>
> C:\users\<account-name>\Documents\gramps

Please note that if you set the value of GRAMPSHOME as suggested above
you end up with:
C:\users\<account-name>\Documents\gramps\gramps\<all-gramps-directories>,
which might not be what you intended to.

> and don't move anything there, yet, Gramps will probably act like it
> does on a fresh install.

It does.

> You can then create a new tree, and see what it
> does into that new gramps folder, and if it works, stop Gramps, remove
> that test folder and replace it with the gramps folder from
> AppData\Roaming.

Or use export/import instead.

> Note that the Documents folder may have another name if you have a non
> English windows, but even if you have, Windows will have a shortcut in
> place, meaning that where the explorer shows Gebruikers > Enno >
> Documenten, a click on the path in explorer reveals that the real
> folder
> is C:\Users\Enno\Documents
>
> You can copy that path from the explorer window like I just did to
> paste
> it into this email.
>
> Hope this works,
>
> Enno

Thanks for pointing out this additional option. The only question I have
about it (the upcoming release of Gramps 5.0 in mind, which as I
understand it, amongst others, includes a path to other database
software, such as sqlite, mysql and postgresql); isn't it typical, at
least on Wintel platforms, to separate application data from end-user
application preference settings?

The option to move the data only as opposed to moving the data as well
as any other Gramps associated files doesn't do that. In addition to
this and aside from whether or not it would be better to keep all Gramps
files (data included) together or allow for the data to be stored in a
separate location; it would seem nice if Gramps, at installation time,
were to display a dialog in which the end-user could choose another
location on disk or another volume.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

enno
Hello John,
> Thanks for pointing out this additional option. The only question I
> have about it (the upcoming release of Gramps 5.0 in mind, which as I
> understand it, amongst others, includes a path to other database
> software, such as sqlite, mysql and postgresql); isn't it typical, at
> least on Wintel platforms, to separate application data from end-user
> application preference settings?
It depends. Modern programs for email and web have always saved their
data and settings in locations unknown to users, and relied on import
and export for address lists and bookmarks, etc. And the same goes for
the software that I work on professionally.

Gramps does this too, so for modern software, there is nothing a-typical
about that. It is uncommon for genealogy programs however. Most older
programs use files or folders in a well known location, but they all
come from a time when we were still using floppy disks.

> The option to move the data only as opposed to moving the data as well
> as any other Gramps associated files doesn't do that. In addition to
> this and aside from whether or not it would be better to keep all
> Gramps files (data included) together or allow for the data to be
> stored in a separate location; it would seem nice if Gramps, at
> installation time, were to display a dialog in which the end-user
> could choose another location on disk or another volume.
I think that depends too, because many users may not understand such a
question at all. We have the technology to store everything in a single
file, including settings that apply to a particular tree, but I see no
real movement in that direction, and I think it's up to you to ask for that.

It won't influence me, because I'm sticking to version 3.4 until my
needs for a decent place database are fulfilled.

cheers,

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

John W. Kitz-3
Enno,

Please see at the end of this post.

On 2017-02-09 21:37, John W. Kitz wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Enno
>
> Thanks for pointing out this additional option. The only question I
> have about it (the upcoming release of Gramps 5.0 in mind, which as I
> understand it, amongst others, includes a path to other database
> software, such as sqlite, mysql and postgresql); isn't it typical, at
> least on Wintel platforms, to separate application data from end-user
> application preference settings?
>
> The option to move the data only as opposed to moving the data as well
> as any other Gramps associated files doesn't do that. In addition to
> this and aside from whether or not it would be better to keep all
> Gramps files (data included) together or allow for the data to be
> stored in a separate location; it would seem nice if Gramps, at
> installation time, were to display a dialog in which the end-user
> could choose another location on disk or another volume.

I thought of scenario in which it's probably useful to treat end-user
preference settings, etc. and actual family tree related data different
as it relates to storing them. Imagine that multiple members of the same
family collaboratively work on the genealogy of their family. While
doing so they use the same Wintel PC, but, since they prefer to keep
some things like email, browsing (history), etc. private, they've
configured separate accounts on Windows for each family member.

Each family member would install Gramps using her or his account and
their individual Gramps end-user preference settings must somehow be
kept separate, either by storing them on the PC (in the user specific
area of C:\) or in a separate area of some common database, to avoid
that one user can (inadvertently) tamper with the user specific settings
of the other(s).

The actual family tree related data must be accessible to all family
members working on the genealogy, either on a shared area of disk space
on the PC or on some separate shared (e.g. networked) device.

I don't see how the use of GROUPSHOME (irrespective of whether it is set
at the user or system level) could accomplish this.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

On 02/10/2017 06:20 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
[snip]
> I thought of scenario in which it's probably useful to treat end-user
> preference settings, etc. and actual family tree related data different
> as it relates to storing them. Imagine that multiple members of the same
> family collaboratively work on the genealogy of their family. While
> doing so they use the same Wintel PC, but, since they prefer to keep
> some things like email, browsing (history), etc. private, they've
> configured separate accounts on Windows for each family member.

This is Best Practice.

> Each family member would install Gramps using her or his account and
> their individual Gramps end-user preference settings must somehow be
> kept separate, either by storing them on the PC (in the user specific
> area of C:\) or in a separate area of some common database, to avoid
> that one user can (inadvertently) tamper with the user specific settings
> of the other(s).

Gramps, Office, Skype, Firefox, etc are all installed once, but are
configured for each user the first time they use the program.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

Dave Scheipers
I have the scenario John describes. To have the database assessable for the various users on the same PC (Win10) I put the database at c:\users\public\Genealogy\Gramps

Then each user has their own unique user files. But the big problem was that each user is creating their own thumbnail files. While each file is relatively small, 12K media files (and growing) now has each user with duplicates of each times 2 (normal and large). The Map files can be reconfigured to be common for all but not the thumbnails nor the addons. Putting everything as a common usage using GRAMPSHOME would have all users sharing the same widow and list configuration files.

Dave

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/10/2017 06:20 AM, John W. Kitz wrote:
[snip]
> I thought of scenario in which it's probably useful to treat end-user
> preference settings, etc. and actual family tree related data different
> as it relates to storing them. Imagine that multiple members of the same
> family collaboratively work on the genealogy of their family. While
> doing so they use the same Wintel PC, but, since they prefer to keep
> some things like email, browsing (history), etc. private, they've
> configured separate accounts on Windows for each family member.

This is Best Practice.

> Each family member would install Gramps using her or his account and
> their individual Gramps end-user preference settings must somehow be
> kept separate, either by storing them on the PC (in the user specific
> area of C:\) or in a separate area of some common database, to avoid
> that one user can (inadvertently) tamper with the user specific settings
> of the other(s).

Gramps, Office, Skype, Firefox, etc are all installed once, but are
configured for each user the first time they use the program.

Re: Moving the gramps database over to another location on disk.

enno
Hello Dave,

> I have the scenario John describes. To have the database assessable
> for the various users on the same PC (Win10) I put the database at
> c:\users\public\Genealogy\Gramps
>
> Then each user has their own unique user files. But the big problem
> was that each user is creating their own thumbnail files. While each
> file is relatively small, 12K media files (and growing) now has each
> user with duplicates of each times 2 (normal and large). The Map files
> can be reconfigured to be common for all but not the thumbnails nor
> the addons. Putting everything as a common usage using GRAMPSHOME
> would have all users sharing the same widow and list configuration files.
I think using a common GRAMPSHOME is a good idea also because with that
you make sure that you share the settings that are essential to make
your data look good, like ID formats, for instance. When each user sets
those according to his or her wishes, persons entered by one will have
ID I1234, and persons entered by another will have IDs like I01234. And
since IDs are strings, this situation is legal, but very confusing, so I
suggest that you try to avoid the mess by keeping add-ons and settings
together in one public place.

If you allow fellow users to have their own, you are likely to get
confused sooner or later, and will find that if one family member has a
problem, you're unable to help, because you can't easily check what
settings are used, and having the same config is essential to
reproducing the problem in a proper way.

Please note that Gramps was never designed to work with a database that
is shared on a network server or anywhere in the cloud, not even when
you are sure that fellow users don't work on that database
simultaneously. Our current database is quite sensitive, so any network
or internet hickup may cause big problems some time.

It is ok to use a cloud or network drive for backups, but I would not go
any further than that.

regards,

On 2017-02-10 13:20, John W. Kitz wrote:

> [...]
> configured separate accounts on Windows for each family member.
>
> Each family member would install Gramps using her or his account and
> their individual Gramps end-user preference settings must somehow be
> kept separate, either by storing them on the PC (in the user specific
> area of C:\) or in a separate area of some common database, to avoid
> that one user can (inadvertently) tamper with the user specific
> settings
> of the other(s).
>
> The actual family tree related data must be accessible to all family
> members working on the genealogy, either on a shared area of disk space
> on the PC or on some separate shared (e.g. networked) device.
>
> I don't see how the use of GROUPSHOME (irrespective of whether it is
> set
> at the user or system level) could accomplish this.

Just to make sure; I wasn't claiming that I tested or even have the use
case that I described above, it was merely intended to describe a
scenario that came to mind as I was testing the use of GRAMPSHOME to set
an alternative path for all Gramps data files and IMHO isn't that far
fetched and therefore might need to be considered in the context of
future developments. Also please note that the use case I described
didn't intend to suggest or imply a need for concurrent use of the same
database.

Thanks to all for the various suggestions, which solved the issue I was
trying to address.

Regards, Jk.