Multiple familiy trees on startup.

John W. Kitz-3
Hi,

Since I'm a relatively new user of Gramps I'd appreciate someone providing a
brief explanation of the following or alternatively provide a link to one.
By going to Family Trees -> Manage Family Trees it is possible to, amongst
others, add new family trees, which from then on appear underneath the
dropdown arrow next to the family tree icon in the toolbar.

Does that imply that all trees displayed underneath the dropdown arrow are
loaded during startup of Gramps?

If so, is it possible to temporarily prevent those that I'm not actively
working on from being loaded in order to expedite the startup process and
save one memory usage without having to use the delete option in Family
Trees -> Manage Family Trees, which, at first glance, seems to be intended
to delete a family tree for good?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

enno
Hi John,
> Since I'm a relatively new user of Gramps I'd appreciate someone providing a
> brief explanation of the following or alternatively provide a link to one.
> By going to Family Trees -> Manage Family Trees it is possible to, amongst
> others, add new family trees, which from then on appear underneath the
> dropdown arrow next to the family tree icon in the toolbar.
>
> Does that imply that all trees displayed underneath the dropdown arrow are
> loaded during startup of Gramps?
No. The window shows all trees available in the hidden grampsdb folder.
Gramps only loads the tree that you work on.

> If so, is it possible to temporarily prevent those that I'm not actively
> working on from being loaded in order to expedite the startup process and
> save one memory usage without having to use the delete option in Family
> Trees -> Manage Family Trees, which, at first glance, seems to be intended
> to delete a family tree for good?
Gramps startup can be slow, especially on Windows, but that is not
related to the number of trees in the grampsdb folder. And deleting a
tree from there is for good indeed.

We have a full explanation of tree management on

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees

and you're welcome to expand on that, if you want.

Cheers,

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

Doug-11
Hi John,
Comments in-line:

On 22/01/17 10:49, John W. Kitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I'm a relatively new user of Gramps I'd appreciate someone providing a
> brief explanation of the following or alternatively provide a link to one.
> By going to Family Trees -> Manage Family Trees it is possible to, amongst
> others, add new family trees, which from then on appear underneath the
> dropdown arrow next to the family tree icon in the toolbar.
Yes; no restriction on the number that I know of.

> Does that imply that all trees displayed underneath the dropdown arrow are
> loaded during startup of Gramps?

No. When you go to Manage Family Trees and click on one of
the listed trees to select it, you then click on Load Family
Tree to load that particular tree. When that happens the
tree that is loaded already (assuming you happen to be
working in one) is replaced by your new choice. (If you go
back to Manage Family Trees you'll see that one in the list
marked with a square-ish symbol in the Status column, i.e.
it's current)

> If so, is it possible to temporarily prevent those that I'm not actively
> working on from being loaded in order to expedite the startup process and
> save one memory usage

You're only ever working on one tree* at a time, so AFAICT
having multiple trees in the list doesn't incur any (or
little) overhead.
> without having to use the delete option in Family
> Trees -> Manage Family Trees, which, at first glance, seems to be intended
> to delete a family tree for good?

It is.

> Regards, Jk.

HTH

Doug.

*P.S. If your system supports working with multiple
workspaces, then it's true you can open separate instances
of gramps on each workspace and in that way effectively work
on several trees at the same time - but each tree is locked
on its own workspace.  But I'd forget about that unless you
really have need for it.

On 01/22/2017 06:45 AM, Doug wrote:
> You're only ever working on one tree* at a time, so AFAICT
[snip]
> *P.S. If your system supports working with multiple
> workspaces, then it's true you can open separate instances
> of gramps on each workspace

What do workspaces have to do with being able to open multiple trees via
click on the Gramps icon multiple times?

Op 22-1-2017 om 14:09 schreef Ron Johnson:
> On 01/22/2017 06:45 AM, Doug wrote:
>> You're only ever working on one tree* at a time, so AFAICT
> [snip]
>> *P.S. If your system supports working with multiple
>> workspaces, then it's true you can open separate instances
>> of gramps on each workspace
> What do workspaces have to do with being able to open multiple trees via
> click on the Gramps icon multiple times?
It depends. On Windows, I can't start Gramps 4.2.5 multiple times, but I
can start 3.4.9 as often as I want, and select a separate tree in each copy.

On 01/22/2017 07:23 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Op 22-1-2017 om 14:09 schreef Ron Johnson:
>> On 01/22/2017 06:45 AM, Doug wrote:
>>> You're only ever working on one tree* at a time, so AFAICT
>> [snip]
>>> *P.S. If your system supports working with multiple
>>> workspaces, then it's true you can open separate instances
>>> of gramps on each workspace
>> What do workspaces have to do with being able to open multiple trees via
>> click on the Gramps icon multiple times?
> It depends. On Windows, I can't start Gramps 4.2.5 multiple times, but I
> can start 3.4.9 as often as I want, and select a separate tree in each copy.

Interesting.  Is that due to Gramps, Python2 vs Python3, or the way that the
AIO packages were built?

Op 22-01-17 om 14:37 schreef Ron Johnson:
> On 01/22/2017 07:23 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Op 22-1-2017 om 14:09 schreef Ron Johnson:
>>> What do workspaces have to do with being able to open multiple trees
>>> via click on the Gramps icon multiple times?
>> It depends. On Windows, I can't start Gramps 4.2.5 multiple times, but I
>> can start 3.4.9 as often as I want, and select a separate tree in each copy.
> Interesting.  Is that due to Gramps, Python2 vs Python3, or the way that the
> AIO packages were built?

I think the latter, or a Windows specific part of the code. It was
discussed on the developers' list, but I don't remember the exact details.

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

Harvey Nimmo
It depends. On Windows, I can't start Gramps 4.2.5 multiple times,
> but I
> can start 3.4.9 as often as I want, and select a separate tree in
> each copy.
>
> Enno

Under Linux, I CAN start gramps 4.2.5 multiple times, each instance
with a different tree.

Harvey

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

John W. Kitz-3
All,

On 2017-01-22 13:45, Doug wrote:

> Hi John,
> Comments in-line:
>
> On 22/01/17 10:49, John W. Kitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since I'm a relatively new user of Gramps I'd appreciate someone
>> providing a
>> brief explanation of the following or alternatively provide a link to
>> one.
>> By going to Family Trees -> Manage Family Trees it is possible to,
>> amongst
>> others, add new family trees, which from then on appear underneath the
>> dropdown arrow next to the family tree icon in the toolbar.
> Yes; no restriction on the number that I know of.
>

>> Does that imply that all trees displayed underneath the dropdown arrow
>> are
>> loaded during startup of Gramps?
>
> No. When you go to Manage Family Trees and click on one of the listed
> trees to select it, you then click on Load Family Tree to load that
> particular tree. When that happens the tree that is loaded already
> (assuming you happen to be working in one) is replaced by your new
> choice. (If you go back to Manage Family Trees you'll see that one in
> the list marked with a square-ish symbol in the Status column, i.e.
> it's current)

So in effect changing family tree by means of the dropdown menu or going
to Family Trees -> Manage Family Trees, then select the desired family
tree, and then click on "Load Family Tree" are one and the same thing?

Or in other words the dropdown kinda acts like "Recent documents" in MS
Office products?

>> If so, is it possible to temporarily prevent those that I'm not
>> actively
>> working on from being loaded in order to expedite the startup process
>> and
>> save one memory usage
>
> You're only ever working on one tree* at a time, so AFAICT having
> multiple trees in the list doesn't incur any (or little) overhead.
>> without having to use the delete option in Family
>> Trees -> Manage Family Trees, which, at first glance, seems to be
>> intended
>> to delete a family tree for good?
>
> It is.

Clear on both counts.

>> Regards, Jk.
>>
> HTH
>
> Doug.
>
> *P.S. If your system supports working with multiple workspaces, then
> it's true you can open separate instances of gramps on each workspace
> and in that way effectively work on several trees at the same time -
> but each tree is locked on its own workspace.  But I'd forget about
> that unless you really have need for it.

Aside from the fact that I don't know how to achieve that, at this time
I don't have a need for such elaborate use.

Thanks for the various replies or links thereto and regards, Jk.

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

On 01/22/2017 05:00 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:
[snip]
> So in effect changing family tree by means of the dropdown menu or going
> to Family Trees -> Manage Family Trees, then select the desired family
> tree, and then click on "Load Family Tree" are one and the same thing?
>
> Or in other words the dropdown kinda acts like "Recent documents" in MS
> Office products?

Correct.

On 22/01/17 20:01, Harvey Nimmo wrote:

> It depends. On Windows, I can't start Gramps 4.2.5 multiple times,
>> but IÂ
>> can start 3.4.9 as often as I want, and select a separate tree in
>> each copy.
>>
>> Enno
>>
> Under Linux, I CAN start gramps 4.2.5 multiple times, each instance
> with a different tree.
>
> Harvey

With Linux Mint, Linux Debian Edition it's always been
possible to open a new instance of gramps on another
workspace, whatever the gramps version, going back to gramps
3.x and earlier.

Doug

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
As far as I remember the starter routine on windows was changed due to prevent running multiple instances which might result in data loss when opening the same tree twice.
I myself would find it helpfull to be able to compare trees visually.
Cheers
Uli

Am 23.01.2017 4:31 nachm. schrieb "Doug" <[hidden email]>:
On 22/01/17 20:01, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> It depends. On Windows, I can't start Gramps 4.2.5 multiple times,
>> but IÂ
>> can start 3.4.9 as often as I want, and select a separate tree in
>> each copy.
>>
>> Enno
>>
> Under Linux, I CAN start gramps 4.2.5 multiple times, each instance
> with a different tree.
>
> Harvey

With Linux Mint, Linux Debian Edition it's always been
possible to open a new instance of gramps on another
workspace, whatever the gramps version, going back to gramps
3.x and earlier.

Doug

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

Doug-11
<snip>

On 23/01/17 15:58, Hans Ulrich Frink wrote:
As far as I remember the starter routine on windows was changed due to prevent running multiple instances which might result in data loss when opening the same tree twice.
I myself would find it helpfull to be able to compare trees visually.
Cheers
Uli

<snip>

That's precisely the reason I started using multiple workspaces, when I had to disentangle errors in my db produced by importing a tree from a relative. I was able to compare the original and modified dbs side by side by just toggling the workspaces.

Doug

On 01/24/2017 05:47 AM, Doug wrote:
> <snip>
>
> That's precisely the reason I started using multiple workspaces, when I
> had to disentangle errors in my db produced by importing a tree from a
> relative. I was able to compare the original and modified dbs side by side
> by just toggling the workspaces.

These "workspaces" that you refer to: are they an MS Windows
thing/utility/feature/addon?

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

Simon C. Tremblay
Like this article says, it's been around for a while, but it has been improved/ simplified in Windows 10:

Regards

Simon

On 24 January 2017 at 11:10, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/24/2017 05:47 AM, Doug wrote:
> <snip>
>
> That's precisely the reason I started using multiple workspaces, when I
> had to disentangle errors in my db produced by importing a tree from a
> relative. I was able to compare the original and modified dbs side by side
> by just toggling the workspaces.

These "workspaces" that you refer to: are they an MS Windows
thing/utility/feature/addon?

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

Simon C. Tremblay
And if your not on Windows 10 yet:

Simon

On 24/01/17 16:10, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/24/2017 05:47 AM, Doug wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> That's precisely the reason I started using multiple workspaces, when I
>> had to disentangle errors in my db produced by importing a tree from a
>> relative. I was able to compare the original and modified dbs side by side
>> by just toggling the workspaces.
> These "workspaces" that you refer to: are they an MS Windows
> thing/utility/feature/addon?

Sorry Ron, I can't comment on MS Windows - others can.
In Linux Mint there's a a set of panes in miniature along
the bottom of the monitor display, each one representing a
workspace with a tiny icon(s) indicative of the programmes
running/in the background on it.
When you click on a particular pane the current monitor
display is replaced by the one appropriate to that pane, and
its programmes become the active ones.

HTH

Doug

On 01/25/2017 07:39 AM, Doug wrote:

> On 24/01/17 16:10, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 01/24/2017 05:47 AM, Doug wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> That's precisely the reason I started using multiple workspaces, when I
>>> had to disentangle errors in my db produced by importing a tree from a
>>> relative. I was able to compare the original and modified dbs side by side
>>> by just toggling the workspaces.
>> These "workspaces" that you refer to: are they an MS Windows
>> thing/utility/feature/addon?
>>
> Sorry Ron, I can't comment on MS Windows - others can.
> In Linux Mint there's a a set of panes in miniature along the bottom of
> the monitor display, each one representing a workspace with a tiny icon(s)
> indicative of the programmes running/in the background on it.
> When you click on a particular pane the current monitor display is
> replaced by the one appropriate to that pane, and its programmes become
> the active ones.

Right.  Been using virtual desktops for ages.

Re: Multiple familiy trees on startup.

John Paton
I am using Linux Mint 17.3 and in practice I have found it possible to
have two or more instances of gramps running on the *same* workspace.
Each instance accessing a different database of course. This was an
accidental discovery and I have never had reason to make use of the
capability.

John

On 01/25/2017 02:41 PM, John Paton wrote:
> I am using Linux Mint 17.3 and in practice I have found it possible to
> have two or more instances of gramps running on the *same* workspace.

In Linux, "workspaces" are "virtual desktops", and they have no special
magic.  Their only purpose is to help the user with window management.

Being able to run multiple multiple instances of gramps is Gramps on Linux
not checking whether there's another instance of it running.

> Each instance accessing a different database of course. This was an
> accidental discovery and I have never had reason to make use of the
> capability.

I saw a mention of this same thing (running multiple instances of gramps at
the same time) on the list quite a while ago.  It had never occurred to me,
either... :)