Multiple "user/devices" 1 database

John Allen
Is it possible to have multiple user/devices share a gramps database, or is
this something coming in gramps 5.

Re: Multiple "user/devices" 1 database

Ron Johnson
On 02/10/2017 11:00 AM, John wrote:
> Is it possible to have multiple user/devices share a gramps database,

Concurrently?  No.

Re: Multiple "user/devices" 1 database

Dave Gilmore
HI John,

If you are asking if you can run it like a true client/server type
application then the answer is not. Not until v5. But, there are several
ways for you to sync a database between multiple devices (for instance
your main desktop and a laptop you may use when traveling). But it
becomes pretty messy if you have multiple users doing that making
different changes and keeping those in sync

Dave

On 2/10/2017 9:00 AM, John wrote:

> Is it possible to have multiple user/devices share a gramps database, or is
> this something coming in gramps 5.

Re: Multiple "user/devices" 1 database

John Allen
I was looking for true client/server I have several devices I was
wondering/hoping to be able to have a single DB.

Is there any news on V5, and which DBs it might support? My vote would
be for Postgres, but only because I use it for most things on my
servers, I switch to it from MySQl when Oracle took over Sun and it
looked as though it my die.

Thanks

JohnA

On 2017-02-10 1:48 PM, Dave Gilmore wrote:

> HI John,
>

> If you are asking if you can run it like a true client/server type
> application then the answer is not. Not until v5. But, there are several
> ways for you to sync a database between multiple devices (for instance
> your main desktop and a laptop you may use when traveling). But it
> becomes pretty messy if you have multiple users doing that making
> different changes and keeping those in sync
>
> Dave
>

> On 2/10/2017 9:00 AM, John wrote:
>> Is it possible to have multiple user/devices share a gramps database, or is
>> this something coming in gramps 5.

Re: Multiple "user/devices" 1 database

enno
Op 11-02-17 om 13:52 schreef John Allen:
> Is there any news on V5, and which DBs it might support? My vote would
> be for Postgres, but only because I use it for most things on my
> servers, I switch to it from MySQl when Oracle took over Sun and it
> looked as though it my die.
Your email header tells that you're on Linux, and on that it's
relatively easy to try Gramps master without messing up your current
setup. And when I look at the included settings file, I can see that it
supports sqlite and postgresql.

Instructions for running Gramps master are on:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Gramps_master

And when you run that, you will see that you can use the standard BSDDB
database or the new DB-API, which standardizes on SQLite. There is no
menu to change that to PostgreSQL, but if you know your way inside
.gramps/grampdb, you will soon find a settings.ini and settings.py that
can be hacked.

I have no idea how many have tried this version with PostgreSQL, nor if
transaction management is good enough for multi-user access. I have only
tried it as a single user with SQLite.

For safety, I suggest that you don't convert an existing tree, but
always create a new one, and work with that. If you convert one, there
is no way back, except export from that to Gramps XML, and import that
into a 4.2 database again.

Hope this helps.