Quantcast

MyHeritage vs. Geni

Felix Brenk
Hi,

I am still struggling with photo import from genealogy websites. We started with geni.com and I just now also imported all our data to myheritage (which worked quite well, including all our photo material). But still with the latest version of gramps it seems impossible to import our photos linked in the gedcom export files those sites are creating for me. What would you suggest according to future developments?

Felix

Re: MyHeritage vs. Geni

DS Blank
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Felix Brenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am still struggling with photo import from genealogy websites. We started
> with geni.com and I just now also imported all our data to myheritage (which
> worked quite well, including all our photo material). But still with the
> latest version of gramps it seems impossible to import our photos linked in
> the gedcom export files those sites are creating for me. What would you
> suggest according to future developments?

I would post a bug in the issue tracker, with a sample GEDCOM file
that includes references to such images that are not being imported.
Any warning messages that show up during import could be useful (click
the "info" button in the bottom left-hand corner, if one, after an
import).

Things to be aware of: GEDCOM doesn't contain images, it only refers
to them. So, they may need to be in a specific place in order for
Gramps to find them.

-Doug

> --
>
> Thanks,
> Felix

Re: MyHeritage vs. Geni

Felix Brenk
Hello Doug,

thanks for your quick response! I already posted a bug in the issue tracker regarding geni some years ago. But nothing seems to have happened since then (issue does not seem to be available any longer, just checked)? Geni as well as MyHeritage are using URLs in the media path. In my point of view, there is some sort of an online link/viewer/interface needed for that to be resolved.

There used to be a photo download tool for geni some years ago (called GedTweak.exe). Therefore I have been able to download our photos from geni. But as this tool hasn't been updated more recently, the photos don't get linked in gramps any more. All media links have to be adjusted manually.

--

Greetings,
Felix

Am 22.11.2013 19:27, schrieb Doug Blank:
[...]

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Felix Brenk wrote
I am still struggling with photo import from genealogy websites. We
started with geni.com and I just now also imported all our data to
myheritage (which worked quite well, including all our photo material).
But still with the latest version of gramps it seems impossible to
import our photos linked in the gedcom export files those sites are
creating for me. What would you suggest according to future developments?

Please see http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Re-Gramps-and-Geni-com-feature-request-for-duplicate-handling-and-photo-import-tp4655992p4656015.html

Regards,
Tim.

Re: MyHeritage vs. Geni

Felix Brenk
Message: 2
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:37:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Lyons [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] MyHeritage vs. Geni
To: [hidden email]

Felix Brenk wrote
I am still struggling with photo import from genealogy websites. We
started with geni.com and I just now also imported all our data to
myheritage (which worked quite well, including all our photo material).
But still with the latest version of gramps it seems impossible to
import our photos linked in the gedcom export files those sites are
creating for me. What would you suggest according to future developments?

Please see
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Re-Gramps-and-Geni-com-feature-request-for-duplicate-handling-and-photo-import-tp4655992p4656015.html

Regards,
Tim.

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your comment! But first of all I would need some assistance for installing your gramplet: copying the files to C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO32\lib doesn't seem to be it? Is there a chance, that your gramplet will be integrated into the official release?

--

Greetings,
Felix

Geni duplicate handling

Felix Brenk
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:37:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Lyons [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Felix Brenk wrote
I am still struggling with photo import from genealogy websites. We
started with geni.com and I just now also imported all our data to
myheritage (which worked quite well, including all our photo material).
But still with the latest version of gramps it seems impossible to
import our photos linked in the gedcom export files those sites are
creating for me. What would you suggest according to future developments?
Please see
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Re-Gramps-and-Geni-com-feature-request-for-duplicate-handling-and-photo-import-tp4655992p4656015.html

Regards,
Tim.

Reading this old mail reminds me of the issue with duplicate handling for Geni imports. What has happened on this field recently?

Felix

Re: MyHeritage vs. Geni

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Felix Brenk wrote
Thanks for your comment! But first of all I would need some assistance
for installing your gramplet: copying the files to C:\Program
Files\GrampsAIO32\lib doesn't seem to be it? Is there a chance, that
your gramplet will be integrated into the official release?
You need to install it according to the instructions here:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.4_Addons#Manually_installed_Addons

(except that it says gramps40/plugins, when it should be gramps34/plugins).

I think in Windows, the correct location might be:
C:\Documents and Settings\<~username>\Application Data\gramps\gramps34\plugins

- good luck!!

Regards,
Tim.

Re: MyHeritage vs. Geni

Felix Brenk
Am 29.11.2013 09:51, schrieb [hidden email]:
Message: 3 Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:45:13 -0800 (PST) From: Tim Lyons [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] MyHeritage vs. Geni To: [hidden email] Message-ID: [hidden email] Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Felix Brenk wrote
Thanks for your comment! But first of all I would need some assistance
for installing your gramplet: copying the files to C:\Program
Files\GrampsAIO32\lib doesn't seem to be it? Is there a chance, that
your gramplet will be integrated into the official release?
You need to install it according to the instructions here:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.4_Addons#Manually_installed_Addons

(except that it says gramps40/plugins, when it should be gramps34/plugins).

I think in Windows, the correct location might be:
C:\Documents and Settings\<~username>\Application
Data\gramps\gramps34\plugins

- good luck!!

Regards,
Tim.

Hi Tim,

I extracted the gramplet to the plugins directory, but it did not seem to get installed?

--

Greeting,
Felix