NOTE oddities in other applications

Richard Griffith

I have uploaded a GEDCOM export from Gramps 1.0.11-1 to GenCircles.com.
I have encountered an issue with the way the NOTE sections are handled,
and I am wondering if anyone else might have come up with a workaround
solution.

The data in the GEDCOM looks like this (cropped to prevent wrapping):

1 NOTE The information found ...
2 CONC ly make any changes. I...
2 CONC iles. I will be happy ...

On GenCircles, it looks like this:

ly make any changes. I have over 100 photos of people listed in these
files. I will be happy ...

The first line of the NOTE is dropped completely, but the remainder is
properly formatted. I'm not as concerned about who is not following
which standard as I am with how to work around this issue. There are
several target options on the export which presumably work around known
issues with certain GEDCOM aware products, but I am using the GEDCOM 5.5
standard. Would any of these other targets have an effect on this issue?
I am still using Gramps 1.0.11-1 as my poor old laptop has been
stretched about as far as it can go, system-wise, and didn't handle the
upgrade to 2.x gracefully, so I backed it out.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, and a BIG Thank You to the Gramps team
for such a great program,
-Richard

Re: NOTE oddities in other applications

Don Allingham
Richard,

Can you give us an example of a NOTE record that this application will
properly accept?

Don

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 20:50 -0400, Richard Griffith wrote:

> I have uploaded a GEDCOM export from Gramps 1.0.11-1 to GenCircles.com.
> I have encountered an issue with the way the NOTE sections are handled,
> and I am wondering if anyone else might have come up with a workaround
> solution.
>
> The data in the GEDCOM looks like this (cropped to prevent wrapping):
>
> 1 NOTE The information found ...
> 2 CONC ly make any changes. I...
> 2 CONC iles. I will be happy ...
>
> On GenCircles, it looks like this:
>
> ly make any changes. I have over 100 photos of people listed in these
> files. I will be happy ...
>
> The first line of the NOTE is dropped completely, but the remainder is
> properly formatted. I'm not as concerned about who is not following
> which standard as I am with how to work around this issue. There are
> several target options on the export which presumably work around known
> issues with certain GEDCOM aware products, but I am using the GEDCOM 5.5
> standard. Would any of these other targets have an effect on this issue?
> I am still using Gramps 1.0.11-1 as my poor old laptop has been
> stretched about as far as it can go, system-wise, and didn't handle the
> upgrade to 2.x gracefully, so I backed it out.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas, and a BIG Thank You to the Gramps team
> for such a great program,
> -Richard

Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: NOTE oddities in other applications

Richard Griffith
Don,

While I was looking for examples, the pattern became clear. This seems
to be a problem only within the NOTE section of a SOUR. It appears that
anything following the NOTE tag is just ignored.

I threw together a dummy file, and edited one of the entries to test out
my theory. The entry which worked was the modified one, with an empty
NOTE line:

0 @S00002@ SOUR
1 TITL Third Source
1 PUBL just long enough for testing
1 NOTE
2 CONC This is another longer note, but this one will be modified ...

This one missed the first line:

0 @S00001@ SOUR
1 TITL Secound Source
1 PUBL doesn't deserve to be
1 NOTE This is going to be a much ... included on First Sourc
2 CONC e. With any luck it will span a couple of lines ...

This one had no NOTE at all:
0 @S00000@ SOUR
1 TITL First Source
1 PUBL nowhere but here
1 NOTE This is a single line source note.

The file and results can be seen online at:
http://www.gencircles.com/users/r_griffith/6/data/1

I'm pretty sure now this is a fault on the GenCircles side. I don't have
immediate access to any other packages to see how they would handle this
set of situations, but it looks like the Gramps output is quite reasonable.

Thanks,
-Richard

Don Allingham wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Can you give us an example of a NOTE record that this application will
> properly accept?
>
> Don
>
> On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 20:50 -0400, Richard Griffith wrote:
>
>>I have uploaded a GEDCOM export from Gramps 1.0.11-1 to GenCircles.com.
>>I have encountered an issue with the way the NOTE sections are handled,
>>and I am wondering if anyone else might have come up with a workaround
>>solution.
>>
>>The data in the GEDCOM looks like this (cropped to prevent wrapping):
>>
>>1 NOTE The information found ...
>>2 CONC ly make any changes. I...
>>2 CONC iles. I will be happy ...
>>
>>On GenCircles, it looks like this:
>>
>>ly make any changes. I have over 100 photos of people listed in these
>>files. I will be happy ...
>>
>>The first line of the NOTE is dropped completely, but the remainder is
>>properly formatted. I'm not as concerned about who is not following
>>which standard as I am with how to work around this issue. There are
>>several target options on the export which presumably work around known
>>issues with certain GEDCOM aware products, but I am using the GEDCOM 5.5
>>standard. Would any of these other targets have an effect on this issue?
>>I am still using Gramps 1.0.11-1 as my poor old laptop has been
>>stretched about as far as it can go, system-wise, and didn't handle the
>>upgrade to 2.x gracefully, so I backed it out.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any ideas, and a BIG Thank You to the Gramps team
>>for such a great program,
>>-Richard

Re: NOTE oddities in other applications

Don Allingham
I'll see if I can roll in a custom fix for gencircles for 2.0.7. It
would help if you could send me a GEDCOM generated by this program, so
that I could see if it is doing anything else we don't expect.

Some areas where GEDCOMs differ include the handling of multiple names,
NOTEs, and adoptive relationships between child and parent.

Thanks.

Don

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 00:40 -0400, Richard Griffith wrote:

> [...]
> >>2 CONC iles. I will be happy ...
> >>
> >>On GenCircles, it looks like this:
> >>
> >>ly make any changes. I have over 100 photos of people listed in these
> >>files. I will be happy ...
> >>
> >>The first line of the NOTE is dropped completely, but the remainder is
> >>properly formatted. I'm not as concerned about who is not following
> >>which standard as I am with how to work around this issue. There are
> >>several target options on the export which presumably work around known
> >>issues with certain GEDCOM aware products, but I am using the GEDCOM 5.5
> >>standard. Would any of these other targets have an effect on this issue?
> >>I am still using Gramps 1.0.11-1 as my poor old laptop has been
> >>stretched about as far as it can go, system-wise, and didn't handle the
> >>upgrade to 2.x gracefully, so I backed it out.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance for any ideas, and a BIG Thank You to the Gramps team

Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: NOTE oddities in other applications

Richard Griffith
Don,

I wasn't very clear about GenCircles, it is an online database, similar
to a service like One World Tree. When it exports a GEDCOM, it sends
back a subset of the original file, not a totally new file. The problem
NOTEs come back OK, it is just the display on gencircles.com that is
corrupt. I've been in contact with them, and they say it is a known
issue that will be addressed soon, so lets not waste your time trying to
fix their problem.

Thanks,
-Richard