Name day

daniel bip
Hi there,

I'm a happy user of Gramps 4.2.1-2.

I just wanted to know if there is any way to define a users's "name day"? I couldn't find it nor see any documentation around this topic.

Thanks in advance.

d.

Re: Name day

Ron Johnson
On 07/02/2018 12:52 PM, daniel bip wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a happy user of Gramps 4.2.1-2.

You can probably update to 4.2.8 without much pain.

> I just wanted to know if there is any way to define a users's "name day"?
> I couldn't find it nor see any documentation around this topic.

"Name Day" is -- if I understand it correctly -- is an anniversary like
birthday.  Gramps doesn't have Anniversary objects.  I'd add it in a Person
Note.

Re: Name day

John W. Kitz-3
Daniel,

On 2018-07-02 20:07, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/02/2018 12:52 PM, daniel bip wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm a happy user of Gramps 4.2.1-2.
>
> You can probably update to 4.2.8 without much pain.
>
>> I just wanted to know if there is any way to define a users's "name
>> day"? I couldn't find it nor see any documentation around this topic.
>
> "Name Day" is -- if I understand it correctly -- is an anniversary
> like birthday.  Gramps doesn't have Anniversary objects.  I'd add it
> in a Person Note.

I was previously unaware of the custom, but based on the content of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day and assuming the same name day(s)
is/are likely to occur more than once in your data you might consider a
custom event for each saint's name day which you can then attach to each
and every individual to whom the name day applies.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Name day

Actually, anniversaries & birthdays are supported by Gramps. They are calculated for living persons in the Reports: Graphical Reports - Calendar; Text Reports - Birthday and Anniversary Report; & Web Pages - Web Calendar.

Unless there's a way to generate a report cross referencing the saint days calendar, I wonder what the point would be of adding a Name Day? Even if Gramps did create such a list, wouldn't the the more common (like 'John' and 'Mary' name day) lists be unmanageably huge?

It would be like adding Religion events and intending to generate a Calendar of everyone celebrating different religious holidays. Or getting the list of Americans on the 4th of July / Independence Day.  Such a report that kicked out a mailing list for Greeting Cards MIGHT have a use, but that would be a stretch of the definition of 'use'.

So what's the goal?

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Name day
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Monday, July 2, 2018, 1:07 PM

 On 07/02/2018 12:52 PM, daniel bip wrote:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > I'm a happy user of Gramps
 4.2.1-2.

 --
 Angular momentum makes the world go
 'round.

Re: Name day

On 07/02/2018 04:16 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> On 2018-07-02 20:07, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 07/02/2018 12:52 PM, daniel bip wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm a happy user of Gramps 4.2.1-2.
>>
>> You can probably update to 4.2.8 without much pain.
>>
>>> I just wanted to know if there is any way to define a users's "name
>>> day"? I couldn't find it nor see any documentation around this topic.
>>
>> "Name Day" is -- if I understand it correctly -- is an anniversary
>> like birthday.  Gramps doesn't have Anniversary objects.  I'd add it
>> in a Person Note.
>
> I was previously unaware of the custom, but based on the content of
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day and assuming the same name day(s)
> is/are likely to occur more than once in your data you might consider a
> custom event for each saint's name day which you can then attach to each
> and every individual to whom the name day applies.

Will a person who lives 80 years have 80 Name Day events?  That seems a bit
impractical.

Re: Name day

Dave Scheipers
I saw it as only one event. The problem would be the event would have
a Day and Month but no Year. which Gramps does not like.

Would a Person Attribute meet your needs?  Name Day; 2 July

An attribute  would be searchable, it shows up in many (not all)
reports.  I guess knowing what if any greater 'role' the name day
would play in manipulating and analyzing the data would be helpful.

Dave

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/02/2018 04:16 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:
>>
>> Daniel,

>>> You can probably update to 4.2.8 without much pain.

>>> "Name Day" is -- if I understand it correctly -- is an anniversary
>>> like birthday.  Gramps doesn't have Anniversary objects.  I'd add it
>>> in a Person Note.
>>

>> I was previously unaware of the custom, but based on the content of
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day and assuming the same name day(s)
>> is/are likely to occur more than once in your data you might consider a
>> custom event for each saint's name day which you can then attach to each and
>> every individual to whom the name day applies.
>

> Will a person who lives 80 years have 80 Name Day events?  That seems a bit
> impractical.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Name day

daniel bip
Dear Dave,

I was thinking of something similar to birthdays without Year. In catholic countries (such as Spain) name days used to be more important than birthdays, as they are related to religion and saints. Nowadays they are not that celebrated but still is an important date on the calendar. I keep a calendar with the birthday dates of my family and wanted to add name days in a simple way, featuring them in a similar way Birthdays are displayed. Such "Person Attribute" would be displayed on calendars?

Thank you for you help.

BR,

d.

On 3 July 2018 at 05:13, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw it as only one event. The problem would be the event would have
a Day and Month but no Year. which Gramps does not like.

Would a Person Attribute meet your needs?  Name Day; 2 July

An attribute  would be searchable, it shows up in many (not all)
reports.  I guess knowing what if any greater 'role' the name day
would play in manipulating and analyzing the data would be helpful.

Dave

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 07/02/2018 04:16 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:
>>
>> Daniel,

>>> You can probably update to 4.2.8 without much pain.

>>> "Name Day" is -- if I understand it correctly -- is an anniversary
>>> like birthday.  Gramps doesn't have Anniversary objects.  I'd add it
>>> in a Person Note.
>>

>> I was previously unaware of the custom, but based on the content of
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day and assuming the same name day(s)
>> is/are likely to occur more than once in your data you might consider a
>> custom event for each saint's name day which you can then attach to each and
>> every individual to whom the name day applies.
>

> Will a person who lives 80 years have 80 Name Day events?  That seems a bit
> impractical.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Name day

Dave Scheipers
Hi Daniel

I have never used the calendar reports but as what I proposed was not
an event, I cannot see how an attribute could be included.

Looking at the calendar graphical report, it looks at only Birth and
Marriage events so all other events are ignored.

You might try adding unattached Name Day people with their Birth
events the Name Day you want. This will add Name Days to the calendar.
Whether or not these name day birth events need a year would be an
open question but easily tested. So maybe both methods. Name day
attribute on actual people, then unattached Name Day people so the
information can be included in the Calendar. These unattached "people"
will be excluded from all other genealogy reports.

HTH, Dave

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM, daniel bip <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Dave,
>
> I was thinking of something similar to birthdays without Year. In catholic
> countries (such as Spain) name days used to be more important than
> birthdays, as they are related to religion and saints. Nowadays they are not
> that celebrated but still is an important date on the calendar. I keep a
> calendar with the birthday dates of my family and wanted to add name days in
> a simple way, featuring them in a similar way Birthdays are displayed. Such
> "Person Attribute" would be displayed on calendars?
>
> Thank you for you help.
>
> BR,
>

> d.
>
> On 3 July 2018 at 05:13, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I saw it as only one event. The problem would be the event would have
>> a Day and Month but no Year. which Gramps does not like.
>>
>> Would a Person Attribute meet your needs?  Name Day; 2 July
>>
>> An attribute  would be searchable, it shows up in many (not all)
>> reports.  I guess knowing what if any greater 'role' the name day
>> would play in manipulating and analyzing the data would be helpful.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > Will a person who lives 80 years have 80 Name Day events?  That seems a
>> > bit
>> > impractical.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Name day

StoltHD
The easiest way would be to just add the possibility to select any attribute field when generating the calender report, that way you can add a attribute with name "Name Day" and with a value of  "Day-Month"...

It would not be a good idea to add more people with the name day as birth day as a workaround, it will mess up the database, adding multiple duplicates and make the database more or less useless...

Daniel,
Create a feature request and see if they may add this somehow...

Jaran

Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 15:56 skrev Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>:
Hi Daniel

I have never used the calendar reports but as what I proposed was not
an event, I cannot see how an attribute could be included.

Looking at the calendar graphical report, it looks at only Birth and
Marriage events so all other events are ignored.

You might try adding unattached Name Day people with their Birth
events the Name Day you want. This will add Name Days to the calendar.
Whether or not these name day birth events need a year would be an
open question but easily tested. So maybe both methods. Name day
attribute on actual people, then unattached Name Day people so the
information can be included in the Calendar. These unattached "people"
will be excluded from all other genealogy reports.

HTH, Dave

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM, daniel bip <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Dave,
>
> I was thinking of something similar to birthdays without Year. In catholic
> countries (such as Spain) name days used to be more important than
> birthdays, as they are related to religion and saints. Nowadays they are not
> that celebrated but still is an important date on the calendar. I keep a
> calendar with the birthday dates of my family and wanted to add name days in
> a simple way, featuring them in a similar way Birthdays are displayed. Such
> "Person Attribute" would be displayed on calendars?
>
> Thank you for you help.
>
> BR,
>

> d.
>
> On 3 July 2018 at 05:13, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I saw it as only one event. The problem would be the event would have
>> a Day and Month but no Year. which Gramps does not like.
>>
>> Would a Person Attribute meet your needs?  Name Day; 2 July
>>
>> An attribute  would be searchable, it shows up in many (not all)
>> reports.  I guess knowing what if any greater 'role' the name day
>> would play in manipulating and analyzing the data would be helpful.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > Will a person who lives 80 years have 80 Name Day events?  That seems a
>> > bit
>> > impractical.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Name day

John W. Kitz-3
Daniel,

Per the various replies to your initial question there IMHO is no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't add these name days, the only thing you'd have to do is use some (fictitious) year (may be the birth year of the saint, provided that you can find it for every saint that's relevant for the individuals in your data?) for each name day, since the month and day of the name day are known.

Regards, Jk.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Ron Johnson <> wrote:

> On 07/02/2018 04:16 PM, John W. Kitz wrote:
>>
>> Daniel,

>>> You can probably update to 4.2.8 without much pain.

>>> "Name Day" is -- if I understand it correctly -- is an anniversary
>>> like birthday.  Gramps doesn't have Anniversary objects.  I'd add it
>>> in a Person Note.
>>

>> I was previously unaware of the custom, but based on the content of
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day and assuming the same name day(s)
>> is/are likely to occur more than once in your data you might consider a
>> custom event for each saint's name day which you can then attach to each and
>> every individual to whom the name day applies.
>

> Will a person who lives 80 years have 80 Name Day events?  That seems a bit
> impractical.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Name day

Reinhard John
Hello,

you could go even further and add the saints as individuals and add their death*) as events. Then you can share the death event of a saint with everyone who has the same first name.
The consequence is that you inflate your database with people you are not related to.

*) I realized that, in most cases, it is the date of death that is the date of the name day (saint's day)

Regards
Reinhard