Names

Richard Smith

I've been experimenting with GRAMPS over the last few days
trying to decide whether it's the right piece of software
for me.  Broadly I like what I'm seeing, but there are one
of two things that I'm a bit concerned about, and I'm
wondering if anyone can help me on to the right track.

My biggest concern is people's names.  I've got a few
ancestors who used different names at different times in
their lives, and not just surnames that changed on marriage.
In one case, a woman who was married twice (and so had three
surnames) was variously Mary, Sarah, Mary Sarah or Polly --
it took quite a while to unravel that!  In this case, I've
made "Mary Sarah" her given names and "Polly" her nick name.

But when I'm adding census data, data from tombstones,
baptism records, and so on, I'd really like GRAMPS to store
the name that was actually used in that source.  That way,
if it later turns out I was mistaken in thinking it was all
one person, I can easily unpick what the sources actually
said.  I cannot see any way of doing that in GRAMPS.  Yes, I
can associate multiple names with a person, but I cannot see
a good way of associating an event with a particular name.
Alternatively, I can create separate person objects for each
spelling (or even each source), but then I cannot see a way
of saying that I believe all these people refer to the same
actual person.

Any advice on how to deal with this?  I expect I'm missing
something obvious.

Thanks,

Richard Smith

Re: Names

Mary Lynch-2
On 28/04/2011 15:13, Richard Smith wrote:

> But when I'm adding census data, data from tombstones,
> baptism records, and so on, I'd really like GRAMPS to store
> the name that was actually used in that source.  That way,
> if it later turns out I was mistaken in thinking it was all
> one person, I can easily unpick what the sources actually
> said.  I cannot see any way of doing that in GRAMPS.  Yes, I
> can associate multiple names with a person, but I cannot see
> a good way of associating an event with a particular name.
> Alternatively, I can create separate person objects for each
> spelling (or even each source), but then I cannot see a way
> of saying that I believe all these people refer to the same
> actual person.
I don't think there is a way to add a name to a source or an event,
though you could use notes.  You can add sources to names, which might
help unravel things if you later decide there were really two different
people.

Mary Lynch

Re: Names

Richard Taylor-2
Richard

I would do this by using the same 'source reference' for a 'name' event
and the 'name' itself.

1. Add a 'Source' to represent where the information about the event is
coming from. Do this in the main Sources view.

2. Then on the person add an 'Event' and type 'Name' into the 'Event
Type', fill in the rest of the information about the event. Then click
on the 'Sources' tab and 'Add an existing source' (the button with the
pointing hand) - select the source that you created in step 1.

3. In the 'Notes' tab at the top of the 'Source Reference Editor' add a
note to explain that this source contains the information that suggests
a new name for the person. Click OK to add the Source to the Event
Reference. (don't close the Event Reference Editor).

4. Open the 'Clipboard'. Drag the Source from the Event Reference Editor
on to the Clipboard. Now click OK on the Event Reference Editor.

5. Click the 'Name' tab on the person record and add a new Name. In the
'Sources' tab of the Name drag the Event Reference from the Clipboard
and drop it on the Sources list.

6. Fill on the Name information and click OK.

Now you have both the Name and the Event that gave rise to the name
linked to the same source record with a matching Event Reference. If you
find the Source in the Sources list you can view all of the References
that are made to that list and hence track all the information that is
dependent on that source. If for some reason you come to doubt the
information you can at least find everything that would need to be changed.

Hope this helps.

Richard

On 28/04/2011 15:13, Richard Smith wrote:

> I've been experimenting with GRAMPS over the last few days
> trying to decide whether it's the right piece of software
> for me.  Broadly I like what I'm seeing, but there are one
> of two things that I'm a bit concerned about, and I'm
> wondering if anyone can help me on to the right track.
>
> My biggest concern is people's names.  I've got a few
> ancestors who used different names at different times in
> their lives, and not just surnames that changed on marriage.
> In one case, a woman who was married twice (and so had three
> surnames) was variously Mary, Sarah, Mary Sarah or Polly --
> it took quite a while to unravel that!  In this case, I've
> made "Mary Sarah" her given names and "Polly" her nick name.
>
> But when I'm adding census data, data from tombstones,
> baptism records, and so on, I'd really like GRAMPS to store
> the name that was actually used in that source.  That way,
> if it later turns out I was mistaken in thinking it was all
> one person, I can easily unpick what the sources actually
> said.  I cannot see any way of doing that in GRAMPS.  Yes, I
> can associate multiple names with a person, but I cannot see
> a good way of associating an event with a particular name.
> Alternatively, I can create separate person objects for each
> spelling (or even each source), but then I cannot see a way
> of saying that I believe all these people refer to the same
> actual person.
>
> Any advice on how to deal with this?  I expect I'm missing
> something obvious.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard Smith

Re: Names

Benny Malengier

2011/4/28 Richard Taylor <[hidden email]>
[...]

Yes, I'd also connect sources to names somehow. Richard gives a good way. You can also share a note with all sources, events, ... that refer to a name, as workaround, that is, notes can be attached to almost everything.

Your idea of creating multiple people does not exist today, but there are some experimental designs out there in the genealogy community to create workflows like that. The current GEDCOM standard does not support it though, and to implement it would be a big work.
Note also that Gramps allows merging, so if you find two people are actually the same, you can merge easily. To seperate a person in two people however will take a lot of manual work.

Benny

Richard

On 28/04/2011 15:13, Richard Smith wrote:

> I've been experimenting with GRAMPS over the last few days
> trying to decide whether it's the right piece of software
> for me.  Broadly I like what I'm seeing, but there are one
> of two things that I'm a bit concerned about, and I'm
> wondering if anyone can help me on to the right track.
>
> My biggest concern is people's names.  I've got a few
> ancestors who used different names at different times in
> their lives, and not just surnames that changed on marriage.
> In one case, a woman who was married twice (and so had three
> surnames) was variously Mary, Sarah, Mary Sarah or Polly --
> it took quite a while to unravel that!  In this case, I've
> made "Mary Sarah" her given names and "Polly" her nick name.
>
> But when I'm adding census data, data from tombstones,
> baptism records, and so on, I'd really like GRAMPS to store
> the name that was actually used in that source.  That way,
> if it later turns out I was mistaken in thinking it was all
> one person, I can easily unpick what the sources actually
> said.  I cannot see any way of doing that in GRAMPS.  Yes, I
> can associate multiple names with a person, but I cannot see
> a good way of associating an event with a particular name.
> Alternatively, I can create separate person objects for each
> spelling (or even each source), but then I cannot see a way
> of saying that I believe all these people refer to the same
> actual person.
>
> Any advice on how to deal with this?  I expect I'm missing
> something obvious.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard Smith

Re: Names

Stéphane Charette-2

My biggest concern is people's names.  I've got a few
ancestors who used different names at different times in
their lives, and not just surnames that changed on marriage.
In one case, a woman who was married twice (and so had three
surnames) was variously Mary, Sarah, Mary Sarah or Polly --
it took quite a while to unravel that!  In this case, I've
made "Mary Sarah" her given names and "Polly" her nick name.

I add a source for each name, which I find easy to do in Gramps, and I think when it outputs the NarWeb page it does a good job.

But when I'm adding census data, data from tombstones,
baptism records, and so on, I'd really like GRAMPS to store
the name that was actually used in that source.  That way,

Here is my real-life example, which does include 10 different variations in the name on the tombstone, census, etc:

http://charette.no-ip.com:1234/Charette/ppl/8/6/aa06b6afed67becad68.html

Stéphane