Names

Andrew Diamond
I became a little confused when adding a couple names to my tree in Gramps.  First, my grandfathers last name was changed when he was adopted, but the name drop down allows only for AKA, Birth, Married and Unknown. So how do I go about inputting his name in this case?  Also, my other grandfather changed his last name when he came to the U.S. to be more American, how would I do the same for his?

Thanks!

Re: Names

Philip Weiss
Gramps allows you to add multiple names for a person.  Whichever one you want to be "primary" will be the one displayed.  Most people probably will use the one from birth as primary, but that's up to you.

To change the type for the main name, in the place where you see "Birth Name", simply type in the what you want the new type to be, and it will be added to the valid types.  For instance, I've added both "Adopted Name" and "Americanized Name" as types, as well as "Married Name", "Changed Name" and "Occupational Name".

To add multiple names of different types, open the edit window for the person, then click on the "Names" tab.  After that you can click the "+" icon to add additional names and can select different types for those.  That way I have three different names listed for my great grandfather:

Johan Otto Öman (Birth Name)
John Otto Oman (Americanized Name)
John Otto Hallin (Changed Name)

If you want, you can even add citations or date ranges for specific names as well as date ranges.  Those pieces of data can be accessed after clicking on the Names tab and then double-clicking on a particular name.  To make a different name the primary name, simply drag and drop a name from the list to the first position.

I hope this helps!

Philip